Sponsored

Will 325 65 18 tires fit on stock Sahara wheels?

Pop

First Name
Vinnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JL ....16 ram 2500
I have a 2020 JL Sahara....it has 255 70 18 tires now on stock wheels....will 325 65 18 tires on my stock wheels fit without problems?? Thanks
Sponsored

INCRHULK

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
litwphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Program Manager, Information Technology
Clubs

I have a 2020 JL Sahara....it has 255 70 18 tires now on stock wheels....will 325 65 18 tires on my stock wheels fit without problems?? Thanks
There's a bazillion posts about tire sizes and fitment.

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
To answer the question though, these probably will NOT fit.
Several issues. Obviously each tire manufacturer is a little different, but the typical acceptable wheel range for that size is 9" - 12" wide. The stock rim is 7.5" wide which is way to narrow for a 13" wide tire. It will be unsafe and at risk for not staying seated on the rim.
The other issue is that it's a 35" tire. Without a lift you're likely going to have clearance issues, not to mention the added width likely causing them to contact the LCA (or more).
So unless the tire manufacturer found a way to get them to fit on a narrower rim, you have a lift, and wheel spacers it's not going to work.

In short. No they won't fit.

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
The stock rim is 7.5" wide which is way to narrow for a 13" wide tire.
It is funny how we can have threads where the consensus is “oh it’s just half an inch off, you’ll be fine” and “you’re half an inch off, it will rub” regarding fitment of anything.

For what it’s worth, my stock wheels fit 35x12.5x17 tires. I have wider axles that result in no rubbing against control arms or the like. Tires do bulge a bit, but I like that look.

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
NOPE !

JIMBO

Sponsored

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
It is funny how we can have threads where the consensus is “oh it’s just half an inch off, you’ll be fine” and “you’re half an inch off, it will rub” regarding fitment of anything.
Strong words, very true! Well played sir, well I played! :clap:
I do bulge a bit, but I like that look.
:rock:

INCRHULK

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
litwphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Program Manager, Information Technology
Clubs

NOPE !

JIMBO
Out of curiosity, why do you almost always shout? It makes for somewhat off putting comments. If you’re looking to emphasize a point, there are bold, italics, and underline fonts to help.

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
Out of curiosity, why do you almost always shout? It makes for somewhat off putting comments. If you’re looking to emphasize a point, there are bold, italics, and underline fonts to help.
If the SOUND is to much for you---complain to the MODERATOR--

That's the way I doit !

JIMBO

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
I’ve researched tires on stock Sahara rims thoroughly over the last 8 months. I’ve not read of anybody going that wide. The widest was an outlier of 2? people saying they put on a 315 and they gave no feedback on performance etc. Generally, the widest they go is a 295/70/18 which rubs on full lock. The 285/75/18 works well though. There’s your 35.

Last edited:

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon

For what it’s worth, my stock wheels fit 35x12.5x17 tires. I have wider axles that result in no rubbing against control arms or the like. Tires do bulge a bit, but I like that look.
Those threads typically discuss 315/70/17 (or 35 x 12 R17). Those tires typically have an approved rim width of 8" wide minimum. A 1/2" difference is one thing, but the tire the OP is talking about 1.5" wider with a recommended 9" width minimum. That's a full inch more than the typical "it should be okay" topics.
Not only will there be a concern with seating and side wall integrity, but you'll have a hard time finding a shop willing to mount the tire on the rim with them that far over spec.
As for clearance. Yes they can obviously be done with some mods like wider axles, a lift, and/or spacer. You even posted in another thread saying you have some rubbing and your tire is smaller than the OP posted about, PLUS you've got wider axles (on a JT, so who knows if that factors in or not). The OP asked about stock with 13" wide tire, that's 3" larger diameter stock. It simply won't fit without some form of modification(s).

All that said. The OP is certainly able to try it based on the "it should be okay" responses. No skin off my neck, I was just responding to the question. Although I don't see the point in asking the question if they're not going to heed the warnings just because it may not be what they wanted to hear. But ultimately I don't care either way.

Strong words, very true! Well played sir, well I played! :clap:
:rock:
Was it though? If we were discussing 1/2" difference not 1.5" I'd absolutely agree with you both. A lot of tire shops won't care about that 1/2" and will mount the tires on the rim. Clearance can be close, and in many cases can be dealt with by not turning quite so tight, or not articulating the suspension quite so much. A perfect example posted by PyrPatriot in another thread:
" No rubbing and only hit the fender flare when climbing over large rocks at steeper angles. "

The ability to make minor driving changes, or rare instances of rubbing is why we have so many threads with opposing opinions. Slightly bigger can work however, 1.5" is a bit more extreme than that.

Sponsored

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
Also FWIW, I'm running 285/75/17 on stock rims and my lift came with new LCA's. Clearance is minimal at full lock and full articulation. I could probably go a little taller (35 instead of 34) and maybe even a little wider, but there is no way an extra 1.5" wide tire is going to fit without a spacer, new axles, different offset rims, etc.

Here's a shot of mine, with the new LCA's, which are round instead of rectangular. That actually gave me a little more clearance than stock, and I've still only got about 1/2" of extra room at full lock. If you're running a completely stock Sahara, you can probably fit 295 at most unless you are okay with some minor rub at full lock.

Jeep Wrangler JL Will 325 65 18 tires fit on stock Sahara wheels? KM2 clearance (3) resize

Last edited:

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
Was it though? If we were discussing 1/2" difference not 1.5" I'd absolutely agree with you both.
First off, thank you for you thoughtful and well articulated response.

The OP seems like a troll and I didn’t want to dignify his request with a legit response.

For discussion purposes, I wonder what the OP’s motivation to have a short, wider tire is? Is it so that he can brag to the wall that he has 35” tires even though they’re short and wide? We may never know.

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
Yeah, it is starting to look like a 1 and done post. Oh well maybe someone will get some use from the conversation.
Anyway, some people seem to really like wide tires. If you live in an area with dunes that makes sense. Here in the snow belt, a narrow tire is more practical. I guess it all depends on the intended use.
Maybe the OP just wants the widest tire they can find on the commonly accepted "35" as the size to have. Although it seems that 37's are quickly becoming the new desired size for off-roaders but that obviously requires some mods. Of course we may never know because it seems we've been ghosted.
Sponsored