Sponsored

Will 315/70-17 tires fit on a stock Moab?

Marco#1

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Moab
Walmart online is selling these tires for $104 each:

Nokian Hakkapeliitta LT 3 Winter LT315/70R17 121/118Q D Light Truck Tire
https://www.walmart.com/ip/257962680

Will these fit on my stock 2018 JLU Moab? I’m never sure what information to trust since the Moab is basically a Sahara with a Rubicon suspension. Most of the stuff I’ve read here indicates it’s too big for a Sahara (but my Jeep is taller) or will rub at full lock or articulation on a Rubicon, especially with the sway bar disconnected (which isn’t even a possibility for me).

I need new tires that will work well in the snow and I literally never ever off-road. I loved the aggressive look of the KO2s, but I’ve said from day one that I would replace them with something that is quiet and handles well on the street, where I do 100% of my driving. I’m literally never off-road, have never climbed anything bigger than a tall curb, and I’m okay with losing a bit of turning radius. Call me a mall-queen or whatever, but I like to take my doors and roof off in the summer and plow my driveway in the winter.
Sponsored

Mgirls

First Name
Vinnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Sahara 4XE
This is a stock Shara 4xe. They say the 4xe is about the same height as an ICE Rubicon. I did put 1 washer in the steering stop as it was JUST touching the lower control arm at hard lock. I definitely wouldn't take mine off road as I'm pretty sure it would contact the fenders, but I don't intend to. These are 315/60r20. Basically the same you are looking at. hope that helped.

Jeep Wrangler JL Will 315/70-17 tires fit on a stock Moab? IMG_1098

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
Walmart online is selling these tires for $104 each:

Nokian Hakkapeliitta LT 3 Winter LT315/70R17 121/118Q D Light Truck Tire
https://www.walmart.com/ip/257962680

Will these fit on my stock 2018 JLU Moab? I’m never sure what information to trust since the Moab is basically a Sahara with a Rubicon suspension. Most of the stuff I’ve read here indicates it’s too big for a Sahara (but my Jeep is taller) or will rub at full lock or articulation on a Rubicon, especially with the sway bar disconnected (which isn’t even a possibility for me).

I need new tires that will work well in the snow and I literally never ever off-road. I loved the aggressive look of the KO2s, but I’ve said from day one that I would replace them with something that is quiet and handles well on the street, where I do 100% of my driving. I’m literally never off-road, have never climbed anything bigger than a tall curb, and I’m okay with losing a bit of turning radius. Call me a mall-queen or whatever, but I like to take my doors and roof off in the summer and plow my driveway in the winter.
No, they're not. Walmart screwed up. They'll ship you completely different tires in a different size, useless for your Jeep. I'm returning the tires they sent me today.

OP
OP
Marco#1

Marco#1

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Moab
@Mgirls

The 315/60-20 is actually a slightly taller tire so if you don’t have issues that is reassuring. Thanks.

@Reinen

Yeah, I saw your comment in the other post, but I’m hoping it’s a one-off mistake. For this price I’m willing to risk the hassle of a return. Thank you for the advice, I’ll let you know if I end up in the same situation.

sstuner

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
I had no issue with my 2018 Sahara with Rubicon takeoff and Rubicon wheels with 315/70/17. No issues. Now I have Mopar lift.

Sponsored

Tank the Jeep

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon Diesel
The specifications say the width is 235. I bet you would not get a 315.

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The specifications say the width is 235. I bet you would not get a 315.
235/50R18s were exactly what I got. Completely useless for a Jeep.

@Marco#1 It will be a waste of your time. I'm returning them today. Maybe I can finagle something for my inconvenience, maybe not. We'll see.

OP
OP
Marco#1

Marco#1

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Moab
235/50R18s were exactly what I got. Completely useless for a Jeep.

@Marco#1 It will be a waste of your time. I'm returning them today. Maybe I can finagle something for my inconvenience, maybe not. We'll see.
Well, that stinks. Isn’t it a pretty big deal to advertise a price for something then not deliver the item as advertised? I’m sure the conversation started with “you sent me the wrong tire…” so I’m curious what their response was when you asked them to replace it with the tire that you ordered? @Tank the Jeep, I see the 235mm tire width now, but the tire size is also clearly listed as LT315/70R17 in numerous other places. @Reinen it seems there is a legitimate argument to demand they provide what they advertised and what you ultimately paid for.

GrayWolf.Overland

First Name
Subash
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2024 4xe Rubicon (Earl Gray)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
315/70/17 will rub on turns. If you are on stock rims (+44 offset) you don't even need to do full lock before hearing the rat-a-tat of the side of lugs rubbing your lower control arms.

For context, I have a +30 17x8 wheel which moves the wheel about 0.7 inches outward compared to stock. 315/70/17s rubbed at absolute full lock even with that offset. I have added a single washer to the steering lock nut - and reluctantly losing 2-4% of my total turning radius.

P.S: My Jeep is a sahara, but its identical to Moab for all things related to axle width, wheel offset spec and clearance on fender and suspension

avidangler

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport 2.0t
For reference, 315/70/17 K02s fit on my stock JLU sport with no rubbing when turning. The wheels I have are a 12mm off set I believe. You wouldn't want to off road with them but they did fine for driving around town before I installed my lift.

Screen Shot 2022-11-21 at 2.35.06 PM.png

Sponsored

GrayWolf.Overland

First Name
Subash
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2024 4xe Rubicon (Earl Gray)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
For reference, 315/70/17 K02s fit on my stock JLU sport with no rubbing when turning. The wheels I have are a 12mm off set I believe. You wouldn't want to off road with them but they did fine for driving around town before I installed my lift.

Jeep Wrangler JL Will 315/70-17 tires fit on a stock Moab? Screen Shot 2022-11-21 at 2.35.06 PM
Looks great.. are these 392 XR take-offs (going by the ever so slight bronze tint on the wheel)?

indifilms

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara
I just went through this on my 2019 JLU Sahara. I've had the OE Moab wheels on it since I got it and just put a set of 315/70R17 KO2s on them. I did have rubbing against the control arms at full turn necessitating spacers. No issues with the fenders, although any articulation would certainly cause issues (at least until the lift goes on next week).

I'm pretty sure the Rubicon suspension wouldn't need the spacers from what I've read, although it's an inexpensive fix if so.

I'd also highly recommend the KO2s. Just switched over from the KM3s and they ride plenty quiet for an A/T.

IMG_1794.jpg

avidangler

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport 2.0t
Looks great.. are these 392 XR take-offs (going by the ever so slight bronze tint on the wheel)?
Thank you! I'm happy with how they turned out. Yes, they are the 392 XRs. Found a set on FB marketplace.

Steph1

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU , Audi Q5
When I saw your opening post I thought ‘’there’s no way Nokians cost that price for 315s’’.

With this said, for 315s to look right on your Moab, You’d need at least 1.5 inch coil spacers front and back. Otherwise the fenders look way too stuffed and just wrong on a wrangler. Just look how Jeep lifted the XRs for the 315s.

If you check in the show and tell forum, you have special editions sub-forum and there’s a whole thread dedicated to the Moab model with all kinds of info and moded Moabs.

Here you go:

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/moab-edition-jl-club-thread.16550/

Last edited:

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well, that stinks. Isn’t it a pretty big deal to advertise a price for something then not deliver the item as advertised? I’m sure the conversation started with “you sent me the wrong tire…” so I’m curious what their response was when you asked them to replace it with the tire that you ordered? @Tank the Jeep, I see the 235mm tire width now, but the tire size is also clearly listed as LT315/70R17 in numerous other places. @Reinen it seems there is a legitimate argument to demand they provide what they advertised and what you ultimately paid for.
Not with online orders. All they're legally required to do is undo the transaction and eat the shipping cost, which they did. However they had so little concern about wasting my time with their error that I'm tempted to order a crapload of them and keep returning them, seeing how much shipping & returns cost I can inflict upon them. I have enough credit to make a sizable dent...
Yeah, I'd like to return 200 tires please, you sent the wrong ones. 🤣
Sponsored