Sponsored

WiFi uses a lot of data

JLYaker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
has anyone noticed the WiFi using a lot of data? I did the free trial and went through the data in 3 days. I set up the $20/ month unlimited data plan and got a warning about hitting the max data for the month before AT&T slows my data down. I think it was 16 GB. I keep my WiFi on and my phone connected to it. I’ve used the WiFi for my laptop some this month (when pulled over) but otherwise just regular phone usage. I have WiFi calling turned off on my phone so it’s not that. I typically use less than 3 GB on my cell phone so the drain on my data shouldn’t be my regular phone usage. Anyone else having this problem?
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@JLYaker You say "problem" . I'd say normal.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
has anyone noticed the WiFi using a lot of data? I did the free trial and went through the data in 3 days. I set up the $20/ month unlimited data plan and got a warning about hitting the max data for the month before AT&T slows my data down. I think it was 16 GB. I keep my WiFi on and my phone connected to it. I’ve used the WiFi for my laptop some this month (when pulled over) but otherwise just regular phone usage. I have WiFi calling turned off on my phone so it’s not that. I typically use less than 3 GB on my cell phone so the drain on my data shouldn’t be my regular phone usage. Anyone else having this problem?
No, but the trial data was a super small amount. I do the same by keeping my phone on wifi. I mostly use it for navigation and music, so I doubt that uses a lot of data. The real test will be when going to Moab in October. My son will be playing his Nintendo Switch on-line through the Jeep's wifi.

Ron_H

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara in Punk'n Metallic
Occupation
Retired and spending the kid's inheritance
Sounds like you may have the "cellular data" and "Wi-Fi" confused. Wi-Fi is a wireless 802.11x connection such as you would use around your home to connect a laptop or TV to your router or internet modem. Accessing data through a cellular connection is different and it is that which I believe you are talking about.

Regardless of the communication protocol being used, 16 GB is a lot for what you have described. I am a retired technology consultant and I feel a need to remain connected. Our 22 GB plan lasts my wife and I a month for web browsing, e-mail, Facebook, etc, with several GBs to spare. I would expect you would have to be doing some streaming to use that amount in the described time period.

Sponsored

OP
OP

JLYaker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
Sounds like you may have the "cellular data" and "Wi-Fi" confused. Wi-Fi is a wireless 802.11x connection such as you would use around your home to connect a laptop or TV to your router or internet modem. Accessing data through a cellular connection is different and it is that which I believe you are talking about.

Regardless of the communication protocol being used, 16 GB is a lot for what you have described. I am a retired technology consultant and I feel a need to remain connected. Our 22 GB plan lasts my wife and I a month for web browsing, e-mail, Facebook, etc, with several GBs to spare. I would expect you would have to be doing some streaming to use that amount in the described time period.
Not doing any streaming.

bryan

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mini, F250, Forester, 2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Phones will perform certain data-intensive background tasks when they are plugged in and connected to WiFi. That's the criteria they use to derive that they are "home." Examples of these tasks include application updates, or photo and video library synchronization.

Since your Jeep's WiFi feature and your phone's data plan both use the cellular network to transfer data, there really is no point to connecting your phone or any other device with a cellular data connection to the Jeep's WiFi. Just use it for your computer and similar devices.

sigsegv

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392
On Android there's a solution: you can mark WiFi networks as "metered" and then they're treated like mobile connections in terms of background bandwidth usage.

Settings -> network -> data usage -> network restrictions. Choose your car's WiFi network and set it to metered.

On iOS I have no idea.

JLGuyFTLD

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
Occupation
Jeep Marketing
OK I know this is gonna sound so silly and stupid and I’m new to touch screen in cars but how the heck do you turn on the maps on the JL… I feel so stupid I’m like staring at it the other day I’m like how the fuck do you turn on the navigation system
Sponsored