Wifi speed

JimmyZ

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2-Door JL Snazzberry Rubicon
Does anyone know what the WiFi speed is on the new 2021 Wranglers? Whether it is 2.4 ghz or 5ghz? Cause the new Android 11 supports android auto wirelessly on vehicles that have 5ghz wifi. Thanks in advance!
Sponsored

OP
OP
JimmyZ

JimmyZ

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
nobody???

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
A quick search of this forum indicates the frequency is 5 GHz.

OP
OP
JimmyZ

JimmyZ

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A quick search of this forum indicates the frequency is 5 GHz.
sweet thanks! That is great news meaning will be able to wirelessly connect to android auto. Thanks again!!!

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys
sweet thanks! That is great news meaning will be able to wirelessly connect to android auto. Thanks again!!!
Have you tried a wireless Android Auto connection? Could you use Waze wirelessly? I'm asking because (1) I lose my favorite contacts when I plug in my phone through the USB randomly which is irritating and (2) I'm watching TV with my wife and my wife is tired of me playing with my new Jeep.

Sponsored

OP
OP
JimmyZ

JimmyZ

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Have you tried a wireless Android Auto connection? Could you use Waze wirelessly? I'm asking because (1) I lose my favorite contacts when I plug in my phone through the USB randomly which is irritating and (2) I'm watching TV with my wife and my wife is tired of me playing with my new Jeep.
I'm still waiting on my build.

beaups

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
5GHz is the frequency (band), not the speed. Android auto requires 5GHz for wireless mode, but having 5GHz does not mean the head unit supports wireless android auto. I’m not aware of any of the Wrangler head units supporting wireless android auto.

OP
OP
JimmyZ

JimmyZ

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5GHz is the frequency (band), not the speed. Android auto requires 5GHz for wireless mode, but having 5GHz does not mean the head unit supports wireless android auto. I’m not aware of any of the Wrangler head units supporting wireless android auto.
The Android auto specs state they are compatible with Android 11 and 5ghz wifi

beaups

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
Wireless android auto requires a head unit that supports wireless android auto and a phone that supports wireless android auto. I’m not aware of any wrangler head unit that supports wireless android auto. Just because a head unit supports 5GHz WiFi does not imply that it supports wireless android auto.

OP
OP
JimmyZ

JimmyZ

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So I don't understand why it wouldn't work with the met requirements

Sponsored

OP
OP
JimmyZ

JimmyZ

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

beaups

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
So I don't understand why it wouldn't work with the met requirements
Because the head unit designer/manufacturer needs to build the functionality in. Just because it meets the hardware requirements doesn’t mean they chose to implement it. It’s possible that head units got an update to add support for this since I researched earlier this year, but I don’t think so. FWIW It’s already incredibly buggy over USB, I can only imagine how poorly it would behave wirelessly.

beaups

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
https://www.theverge.com/2020/8/20/21377399/google-android-auto-android-11-wireless-phone-support

My interpretation is that previous head units were Android Auto wireless capable and required certain headunits and handsets. My understanding is that android auto 11 eliminates that and all android auto capable head units with a 5ghz wifi connection will support wireless android auto with handsets running Android 11 or higher. Correct me if I'm wrong
Your interpretation is incorrect. The head unit specifically has to support wireless android auto.

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
It does not support wireless AA. I don't even think that the wifi module connects to the head unit in a way that allows data transfer. The information about the Uconnect 4 system all states that the USB cable is needed for Android Auto or Apple Car Play. The next system Uconnect 5 is setup to work wirelessly.

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys
Agree. With the hundreds of car rentals I've had in the last two years, I've yet to have any unit do a wireless android auto.
Sponsored