Sponsored

WiFi AT&T subscription

BXFXJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Sahara
The pricing for wifi is crazy for Canada, where I can get 4GB for $15, AT&T uConnect offer is 1GB for $15.

Does anyone know if the SIM chip in the uConnect unit can be swapped for a different provider? The AT&T plans for the US does not appear to be ridiculous as the plans for Canada, FCA should have at least used a Canadian provider for vehicles sold in Canada.
Sponsored

r-d

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon 2-door
The pricing for wifi is crazy for Canada, where I can get 4GB for $15, AT&T uConnect offer is 1GB for $15.

Does anyone know if the SIM chip in the uConnect unit can be swapped for a different provider? The AT&T plans for the US does not appear to be ridiculous as the plans for Canada, FCA should have at least used a Canadian provider for vehicles sold in Canada.
The SIM cannot be swapped. AT&T provides service in Canada under a new company "AT&T Mobility Canada Co." It's probably set up as an MVNO of TELUS or ROGERS.

HOWEVER... On the sign-up page, just select USA as your country. The US prepaid plans have a $25 unlimited plan which includes roaming in Canada. Been using it with no issues in Canada. I do have a US dollar credit card and I used a family member's address in USA. But since it's prepaid, it may work using a random address, or just add a US billing address to you Canadian credit card.

My 1GB trial was used up in 2 days. I noticed when your phone on "WiFi" and connected to power, it will do backups and app updates, so it chews through the "data" real quick.

It roams automatically on "affiliated carriers" in Canada so it will automatically use TELUS or ROGERS but you won't really know which carrier it's on. Doesn't matter.

Screen Shot 2019-07-25 at 19.19.35.png
Screen Shot 2019-07-25 at 19.19.50.png

Hayseed_JLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2015 JKU
Which functions use the cars data connection? IS it mostly for using as a hotspot for connected devices?

r-d

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon 2-door
Which functions use the cars data connection? IS it mostly for using as a hotspot for connected devices?
It's essentially a WiFi hotspot like at home, so any WiFi device can connect (phones, tablets, etc..)

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
Why wouldn't you just turn on the personal hotspot on your cell phone (available on pretty much every smart phone plan I'm aware of)? The hotspot in vehicles is a complete scam.

Sponsored

Hayseed_JLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2015 JKU
So it does not run anything? For example traffic, weather, etc - which are on Sirius XM. Does it run anything

mojitojeep

First Name
Colby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Why wouldn't you just turn on the personal hotspot on your cell phone (available on pretty much every smart phone plan I'm aware of)? The hotspot in vehicles is a complete scam.
100% not sure why anyone would use it.

WillDo559

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jl rubicon unlimited
I'm able to vpn into my home network so I can work from my car for the whole day with the car WiFi (I work from home). Wouldn't be able to do that tethering, too slow plus would have to upgrade my cell plan anyways. Having a Verizon aircard, Jeep AT&T WiFi, and T-Mobile cell phone provides redundancy which I need just in case I don't have reception somewhere. at&t provides the best service around my neck of woods too, T-Mobile is terrible here. In other words I have car WiFi so I can work from the lake and fish. Also on road trips, all the kids connect to the car WiFi as well. And my dash cam connects to it too. Just a couple reasons why someone would use it..

OP
OP
BXFXJeep

BXFXJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Sahara
The SIM cannot be swapped. AT&T provides service in Canada under a new company "AT&T Mobility Canada Co." It's probably set up as an MVNO of TELUS or ROGERS.

HOWEVER... On the sign-up page, just select USA as your country. The US prepaid plans have a $25 unlimited plan which includes roaming in Canada. Been using it with no issues in Canada. I do have a US dollar credit card and I used a family member's address in USA. But since it's prepaid, it may work using a random address, or just add a US billing address to you Canadian credit card.

My 1GB trial was used up in 2 days. I noticed when your phone on "WiFi" and connected to power, it will do backups and app updates, so it chews through the "data" real quick.

It roams automatically on "affiliated carriers" in Canada so it will automatically use TELUS or ROGERS but you won't really know which carrier it's on. Doesn't matter.

Screen Shot 2019-07-25 at 19.19.35.png
Screen Shot 2019-07-25 at 19.19.50.png

Thanks, $25 for unlimited is a pretty good deal for US/Canada.

When you connect to a limited data wifi, you should select Treat as Metered in the wifi options so it doesn't download updates etc.

Screenshot_20190725-220823.png

OP
OP
BXFXJeep

BXFXJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Sahara
100% not sure why anyone would use it.
It's not a bad option to have, the phone hotspot disables if it loses cell connection etc, something like the hotspot in the car would not do that, same with a regular hotspot, also you have to remember to turn on your phone hotspot, kills the battery etc.

I personally do not use a traditional cell phone, I have a cell phone and use Voip and SIP using the native phone app for calls, therefore I have a data only plan which I pay $15 for 4GB and I'm on Wifi all the time at work and home so cell data is for when I'm away from those two locations.

Sponsored

r-d

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon 2-door
$15 for 4GB
Fido? :clap:

It's not a bad option to have, the phone hotspot disables if it loses cell connection etc, something like the hotspot in the car would not do that, same with a regular hotspot, also you have to remember to turn on your phone hotspot, kills the battery etc.
Agreed.

So far I've had no issues with the built-in WiFi. I've also changed the Jeep's SSID and password to the same as my home WiFi, so any friends/family will automatically connect if they're riding with me.

r-d

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon 2-door
*Fun fact:* Since the data service assigns a US phone number to the built-in SIM, the backhaul runs through a US-based IP address. So as soon as you are on the Jeep's WiFi and open your Netflix app, you'll instantly see the US Netflix even with your Canadian Netflix subscription. :like:

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
*Fun fact:* Since the data service assigns a US phone number to the built-in SIM, the backhaul runs through a US-based IP address. So as soon as you are on the Jeep's WiFi and open your Netflix app, you'll instantly see the US Netflix even with your Canadian Netflix subscription. :like:
My Canadian friend says US Netflix is so much better than Canadian. So I let her use mine so she can enjoy it :like:

Kyanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I think it's probably great if you're making lots of road trips.

Reactions: r-d

thecritter

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Crystal Granite JlU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
i am a Verizon customer so it is nice having both data options when we are traveling.
Sponsored