Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
The metal cloak lift looks great (I'm sure the game changer lift is a great performer -- the specs are impressive), but there is more to install and it's more expensive. For me, considering my use case -- I don't think the additional cost/complication is worth it. Overall, the Currie lift will give me another 2.5" of clearance giving me plenty of room for the 37's (Cooper MAXX), allow a proper alignment, and the johnny joints are second to none.

The stock JL Rubi went about everywhere except a few trails where I didn't have enough tire size/clearance. I don't think there will be a trail that I will run into in Moab where the Metal Cloak would have gotten me through vs the Currie lift, but we'll see =) $2300 with the Fox IPF shocks (didn't think it was necessary to add uppers or do the sway bars)... I think that's a good middle ground between what Mopar sells and what Metal Cloak sells.

Overall build is (on a '19 Rubi Unl)
- Currie 2.5" Lift w/ Johnny joints, lower adj arms, spring isolators, dual rate springs, bump stops, heim style end links for swaybars.
- Fox IPF shocks
- AEV Borah Beadlocks in Onyx (w/ silver beadlock rings)
- 37x12.50R17 Cooper STT Maxx
- Warn winch (zeon platinum 10s)

I might add some evo rock sliders, but the stock rubicon rock rails and stock skid plates have served me quite well thus far in Moab. So kind of on the fence. Don't have anything else planned except a shorty antenna and a couple of grab handles (wife can't reach the built-in).
Just playing devils advocate here but how’s it more expensive? You said you’re spending $2300 for the Currie and fox shocks with only LCA right? The MC GC rocksport is all 8 arm and f/r track bars too. I know their prices went up to compensate for the “free shipping” but I’m sure they’ll now do 10% off sales to replace the free shipping promos

Besides the track bar install it’s not much more complicated. They address the shock clearance which is nice and doesn’t take much extra work to do.

Brett

Edit: if going with 37s and wheeling, I’d suggest 3.5” can’t get by with less bump stop. Otherwise the bump stops needed to keep the tires out of the fenders hurt your flex a bunch. If you’re planning on aftermarket fenders or AAL highline fender disregard

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
Based on all the research I did, you'll want to replace those track bars with 3" or more lift. Them being part of the package price is a plus, since you'll probably want to add them if they aren't.
That's one of the hardest parts about comparing lifts. One kit comes with these parts, while another kit comes with those parts. Very few of them have all the same stuff, so it's hard to do a side by side comparison of cost. You have to figure out all the parts you want (or need) and source those additional parts when making comparisons.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
Just playing devils advocate here but how’s it more expensive? You said you’re spending $2300 for the Currie and fox shocks with only LCA right? The MC GC rocksport is all 8 arm and f/r track bars too. I know their prices went up to compensate for the “free shipping” but I’m sure they’ll now do 10% off sales to replace the free shipping promos

Besides the track bar install it’s not much more complicated. They address the shock clearance which is nice and doesn’t take much extra work to do.

Brett

Edit: if going with 37s and wheeling, I’d suggest 3.5” can’t get by with less bump stop. Otherwise the bump stops needed to keep the tires out of the fenders hurt your flex a bunch. If you’re planning on aftermarket fenders or AAL highline fender disregard
It should be OK. It's a 2.5" because the Rubi is lifted already from the factory, therefore with the swap you get 2.5" of lift from stock vs 4" of lift from a Sport, for example. Friend of mine runs 39's on it and it ran everything in Moab just fine without issues. I was actually concerned it might be too much lift but I prefer lower cog.

Maybe I'm looking at the wrong place but from what I saw, the game changer lift is $4568 list price, but you get more (I just don't need it, or am not convinced I do). The Currie is $2300 with shocks, list price. I don't think I need to add any of the additional items, we'll see I guess. I would prefer to start with something that works and add as needed. If suddenly I need to add a drive shaft, uppers, and track bars, it's probably a similar price point.

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
It should be OK. It's a 2.5" because the Rubi is lifted already from the factory, therefore with the swap you get 2.5" of lift from stock vs 4" of lift from a Sport, for example. Friend of mine runs 39's on it and it ran everything in Moab just fine without issues. I was actually concerned it might be too much lift but I prefer lower cog.

Maybe I'm looking at the wrong place but from what I saw, the game changer lift is $4568 list price, but you get more (I just don't need it, or am not convinced I do). The Currie is $2300 with shocks, list price. I don't think I need to add any of the additional items, we'll see I guess. I would prefer to start with something that works and add as needed. If suddenly I need to add a drive shaft, uppers, and track bars, it's probably a similar price point.
The MC is $2459 shipped. Just wanted to make sure you had all the pertinent info. The rocksports are a great shock. You can upgrade to the 6 packs, but thats a significant upgrade. with a 2.5" lift, I wouldnt sweat the DS just yet.

Most companies use the rubicon as a bench mark for lift height. If its a 3.5" lift, itll raise a rubi 3.5". If its a sport or sahara, it will lift it higher than the advertised height.

brett

Sponsored

OP
OP
Zimmerer

Zimmerer

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara Altitude, 2018 Ram 1500
I did a 2.5 JKS Lift w/ Fox Shocks. Mopar Wheels and Toyo 35s. The ride is smoother then stock. You can get an idea of what this lift will give you:
jeep2.5lift.jpg
Very nice. Are those 17" wheels?

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
The MC is $2459 shipped. Just wanted to make sure you had all the pertinent info. The rocksports are a great shock. You can upgrade to the 6 packs, but thats a significant upgrade. with a 2.5" lift, I wouldnt sweat the DS just yet.

Most companies use the rubicon as a bench mark for lift height. If its a 3.5" lift, itll raise a rubi 3.5". If its a sport or sahara, it will lift it higher than the advertised height.

brett
Ah, I see it now, thank you. https://metalcloak.com/jl-wrangler-game-changer-suspension-2-5-3-5-rocksport-edition.html

Currie then may advertise their lift height differently than others.

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
...Most companies use the rubicon as a bench mark for lift height. If its a 3.5" lift, itll raise a rubi 3.5". If its a sport or sahara, it will lift it higher than the advertised height.
Yeah, that's what I was finding in my research. Many reviews from Sahara/Sport(S) owners saying that they got more lift than advertised. In some cases the people were happy, in other cases it they weren't.
I think part of it is also that some kits are expecting to be equipped on a heavy Jeep. For example steel bumpers, rock sliders, etc on the Rubi that the designed the kit around. Put that same kit on a lighter Sport or Sahara and the springs won't compress as much, and ultimately generate more height. Add to that the .75" higher ride of the Rubi and people get more lift than the kit claims it will give.
It's worth noting that not all lifts that I looked at had the same issue. Some were either designed or measured on a non-Rubicon, so it's a company by company thing. Great point though, and certainly something that needs to be looked at when choosing a lift.

Sponsored

Robs JL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
Rancho 3.5" lift is great. Smooth ride on road and looks perfect with 35's. I just picked it up a couple days ago and haven't taken pics yet but here it is at the shop. I also got the Rancho drop brackets and steersmart yeti track bar. It drives better than stock.

23635.jpeg

Trav.city

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited JL Rubicon
Occupation
Sales Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Dynatrac 2” lift is nice if you only do mild off road and want to keep the ride comfort and not get into a bunch of extra parts that are required when moving to 3”. I did add a 1/2” spacer upfront to offset the steel bumper and winch. However, you can still get the extras if you want. Here it is with 35” tires.

FBDA47C6-B9DD-49D3-943A-1F4EC3F8CA68.jpeg

OP
OP
Zimmerer

Zimmerer

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dynatrac 2” lift is nice if you only do mild off road and want to keep the ride comfort and not get into a bunch of extra parts that are required when moving to 3”. I did add a 1/2” spacer upfront to offset the steel bumper and winch. However, you can still get the extras if you want. Here it is with 35” tires.

FBDA47C6-B9DD-49D3-943A-1F4EC3F8CA68.jpeg
Looks nice.

OP
OP
Zimmerer

Zimmerer

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rancho 3.5" lift is great. Smooth ride on road and looks perfect with 35's. I just picked it up a couple days ago and haven't taken pics yet but here it is at the shop. I also got the Rancho drop brackets and steersmart yeti track bar. It drives better than stock.

23635.jpeg
Them wheels and lift look perfect together. Nice rice too. Thanks for your input.

OP
OP
Zimmerer

Zimmerer

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I did a 2.5 JKS Lift w/ Fox Shocks. Mopar Wheels and Toyo 35s. The ride is smoother then stock. You can get an idea of what this lift will give you:
jeep2.5lift.jpg
Thanks, that's the look we are going for. We ordered the lift and tires Sunday and hopefully it will be in and installed by the end of the week.
Sponsored