Sponsored

Wife drove in 4L for 20 Miles at 60 miles per hour.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
When my wife takes my Jeep to the grocery store

274A25DB-2EB1-4270-B784-DB6D8A13DF46.jpeg
I feel you. The very first time my wife drove my Jeep to work, she hit a deer. Luck there was no damage, but still she made it less than two miles out of the driveway before running a deer over.
Sponsored

SleepEatJeepRepeat

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 Audi Q7
Occupation
Looking at Jeep stuff all day
Vehicle Showcase
I feel you. The very first time my wife drove my Jeep to work, she hit a deer. Luck there was no damage, but still she made it less than two miles out of the driveway before running a deer over.
i love her to death but she has banged up every car we have ever owned, luckily nothing serious ussually those pesky stationary objects and relatively low speed

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
i love her to death but she has banged up every car we have ever owned, luckily nothing serious ussually those pesky stationary objects and relatively low speed
Lol, we have a lot in common. She smashed 5 cars in the first 5 years of marriage. She is driving my 13 Kia Optima. I turned it over to her when I retired, It now has a long scrape down the passenger door, a dent in the drivers door, the front headlight housing is cracked, the fender liner in the front passenger side was torn out and is now zip tied back together and the rear bumper was replaced where she slammed it into a snow bank.

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
At my wife's old job there was a parking area below the building. Every 30 feet or so there were I-beams encased in concrete which of course hold up the building. This woman backs out of her parking spot and smashes right into one of the columns. She gets out of her car walks to the rear and goes "stupid pole", gets in her car and drives away.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
My wife has sideswiped our garage bay trim with her Yukon XL not once, not twice, but thrice!

Jeep Wrangler JL Wife drove in 4L for 20 Miles at 60 miles per hour. 1612394331013

Then there was the time she exited her running vehicle with it in drive pointing up our steep driveway. Her wheels were turned, and gravity was just enough to start it rolling after she got in the house to get “I forgot <fill in the blank>”. It u-turned itself and hit my parked boat. Thankfully, it made contact with the trailer and not the hull. It pushed the bow a good 15 feet, and the trailer jack carved a sweet trench in the yard. I learned about this when I pulled into the driveway after work and saw the boat and the trench. After walking in and immediately asking what happened she said, “how did you notice that already?” :facepalm:

I wouldn’t trade her for the world, though, and she has plenty of embarrassing stories about me, too.

Sponsored

HardSell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Built Rubicon replaced modestly built stolen '87 XJ
Occupation
Nose Picker
Last edited:

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
I am going to earmark this thread as a great example to remind me of how often you really have to take what you read on forums with a huge grain of salt - as a couple other posters noted, so many responses are pure speculation and so many of those are way off base...yet they're posted as though they're fact.
Some anecdotal points...
When I was 16 I drove my parents' Pinto for the summer to my daily job, and after about a month one day the CEL came on while driving. I pulled over to the side of the road, and it went off, so I continued another mile to my workplace. Same thing on the way home - I pulled over and the light went off. Didn't think much of it, but when it repeated this the next day, I decided I should check the oil level when I got home. Sure enough - essentially no oil! I put five quarts in that four banger that only held six, and that engine purred like a cat for at least twenty thousand or more miles before the parents sold it to a Ford tech who checked it out first and said he couldn't believe what great shape it was in!
For the record...I am a male. (who later in life learned all sorts of things mechanical about vehicles)
And then a couple summers ago I had female friend who's husband was away and she needed their 40+ ft fifth wheel towed behind their brand new Chevy pickup down a very steep mountain grade. She was leery it being a new truck and all, and not ever having pulled such a big trailer, so I drove that down the pass and into town - about 45 miles. She drove my Ram pickup with the transfer case rotating knob (circa about 2011) adjacent to the air conditioning control knob, and at some point she put that truck into 4WD and drove down the hill (many turns) and on into town at 65 mph. I was of course worried about the stress of things not slipping (it had a limited slip rear, also) when in 4WD on pavement, but alas, nothing bad happened and the truck ran fine for years after. I did learn that when someone - male or female - was going to drive a vehicle of mine for any distance, I need to give them a quick tutorial on the controls of the specific vehicle if they've never driven that year model before...
OK, now I've helped make this thread even longer! LOL
But seriously though, the thing that I noticed of many women drivers is that they love to turn random knobs or switches inside the vehicle without actually finding out what it does. I mean they aren’t even curious enough to look or pull over and actually find out what it does.

I have this lady in my parkade who often turn on the wiper blades whenever she signals a turn. And the funny thing is that she doesn’t even care to turn it off. And that doesn’t seem to bother her either.

“Oh look what’s this lever do? Oh whatever I’ll just pull it! Good luck everybody else!”

After confusing Drive with Park/Reverse on my Jeep several times, my gf does not get to drive the Jeep anymore. After confronting her about it, she said she doesn’t really see letters and shapes, she sees colors and emotions etc.

I take this sort of things very seriously, because it could have very dire consequences.

https://www.globaltimes.cn/content/790410.shtml

Also a horror story I’ve read a while back, woman tries to park her car with husband and a child in back. Tells husband to go out and “check” her clearances. Guts her husband to the wall on reverse. And she tries to get out, decapitates her head between column and b-pillar, all while her 6 yro daughter watches in horror in the rear seat.

Last edited:

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
But seriously though, the thing that I noticed of many women drivers is that they love to turn random knobs or switches inside the vehicle without actually finding out what it does. I mean they aren’t even curious enough to look or pull over and actually find out what it does.

I have this lady in my parkade who often turn on the wiper blades whenever she signals a turn. And the funny thing is that she doesn’t even care to turn it off. And that doesn’t seem to bother her either.

“Oh look what’s this lever do? Oh whatever I’ll just pull it! Good luck everybody else!”

After confusing Drive with Park/Reverse on my Jeep several times, my gf does not get to drive the Jeep anymore. After confronting her about it, she said she doesn’t really see letters and shapes, she sees colors and emotions etc.

I take this sort of things very seriously, because it could have very dire consequences.

https://www.globaltimes.cn/content/790410.shtml

Also a horror story I’ve read a while back, woman tries to park her car with husband and a child in back. Tells husband to go out and “check” her clearances. Guts her husband to the wall on reverse. And she tries to get out, decapitates her head between column and b-pillar, all while her 6 yro daughter watches in horror in the rear seat.
And...you think that men do none of these things? :)

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
This is also why 2 foot driving is discouraged. If we were taught to use our left foot on the brake pedal, even a seasoned driver could punch the gas instead of the brake in a split second emergency situation.

Sponsored

Iggy

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Every time I select 4L it's a struggle to get there:
  1. Stop
  2. Select Neutral on transmission
  3. Pull hard to move transfer case from 2H to 4H
  4. Pull hard to move transfer case into Neutral
  5. Negotiate the 'L' pattern to access 4L from Neutral
  6. Pull still harder to move transfer case lever into 4L
It is not something that can be done by happenstance. Period.

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
  1. Stop
Well said Russ, as a matter of fact my Jeep was so tough to get in 4w I used to think the cable was gonna snap. I tried neutral, first gear and a little rolling just to engage.
It’s much better now because I cycle down to 4H then 4 low before every time I use the Jeep. I’m determined to (A) break it in or (B) break it and let them fix it.

flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Door JL Sport, former '80 CJ-5 and '99 TJ
Vehicle Showcase
  1. Stop
Not trying to be snarky, but maybe it's a struggle because the vehicle is stopped. Per the Owner's Manual, this operation should be accomplished "with the vehicle rolling at 1 to 3 mph." Furthermore, "shifting into or out of 4WD Low is possible with the vehicle completely stopped; however, difficulty may occur due to the mating teeth not being properly aligned. Several attempts may be required for clutch teeth alignment and shift completion to occur."

I've noticed that many drivers attempt to shift in/out of 4L when stopped, and most dealers tell you to do the same thing during test drives. If anything, you'd think they would know better than any of us. In any case, shifting while coasting between 1 and 3 mph is not only easier, but also eliminates stress and wear on your 4WD components. I'd recommend doing this every time, instead of fighting with your transfer case....it'll make for a much happier and longer relationship! ;)

Last edited:

Petey

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl sport manual
She said the engine sounded like it was straining.
I have no doubt these HAVE rev limiters.. so let's say the engine revs high but within spec limits. Yeah @ 60 there would most likely be enough air through the radiator to keep things overheating and probably the worst that happened u got 5mpgs for that trip. The one thing that I would be more worried is the binding that may have occurred whenever the steering wheel was turned .. that must have cause a bit of stress there.
Sponsored