Sponsored

Wife drove in 4L for 20 Miles at 60 miles per hour.

Emoto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JKU Rubicon Hard Rock, Camaro SS
I have read that the SelecTrac version of the Wrangler has CV joints instead of U-joints on the front axle. Given that the Jeep this thread is about has SelecTrac and possibly faced some driveline stress, what do people think would stand up better to abuse, CV or U joints?
Sponsored

Durango

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited, 2019 Ram 1500 Quadcab 4X4, 2018 Challenger Hellcat, 2018 Charger SRT, 2018 American Dream, 2017 Ram 1500 Reg Cab 4X4, 2020 Redwood 3951MB, 2019 Mercedes 4WD Van
I am going to earmark this thread as a great example to remind me of how often you really have to take what you read on forums with a huge grain of salt - as a couple other posters noted, so many responses are pure speculation and so many of those are way off base...yet they're posted as though they're fact.
Some anecdotal points...
When I was 16 I drove my parents' Pinto for the summer to my daily job, and after about a month one day the CEL came on while driving. I pulled over to the side of the road, and it went off, so I continued another mile to my workplace. Same thing on the way home - I pulled over and the light went off. Didn't think much of it, but when it repeated this the next day, I decided I should check the oil level when I got home. Sure enough - essentially no oil! I put five quarts in that four banger that only held six, and that engine purred like a cat for at least twenty thousand or more miles before the parents sold it to a Ford tech who checked it out first and said he couldn't believe what great shape it was in!
For the record...I am a male. (who later in life learned all sorts of things mechanical about vehicles)
And then a couple summers ago I had female friend who's husband was away and she needed their 40+ ft fifth wheel towed behind their brand new Chevy pickup down a very steep mountain grade. She was leery it being a new truck and all, and not ever having pulled such a big trailer, so I drove that down the pass and into town - about 45 miles. She drove my Ram pickup with the transfer case rotating knob (circa about 2011) adjacent to the air conditioning control knob, and at some point she put that truck into 4WD and drove down the hill (many turns) and on into town at 65 mph. I was of course worried about the stress of things not slipping (it had a limited slip rear, also) when in 4WD on pavement, but alas, nothing bad happened and the truck ran fine for years after. I did learn that when someone - male or female - was going to drive a vehicle of mine for any distance, I need to give them a quick tutorial on the controls of the specific vehicle if they've never driven that year model before...
OK, now I've helped make this thread even longer! LOL

EugenesAJeep

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys
Vehicle Showcase
Seems like turning corners would be at least a little harder in 4 low.

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLU Rubicon 6-speed
How the
How the hell did you get the engine to rev to 9k+?
I hadn't even noticed that. Did he install a turbine in place of the normal Jeep engine offerings?

Sponsored

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLU Rubicon 6-speed
I am going to earmark this thread as a great example to remind me of how often you really have to take what you read on forums with a huge grain of salt - as a couple other posters noted, so many responses are pure speculation and so many of those are way off base...yet they're posted as though they're fact.
Some anecdotal points...
When I was 16 I drove my parents' Pinto for the summer to my daily job, and after about a month one day the CEL came on while driving. I pulled over to the side of the road, and it went off, so I continued another mile to my workplace. Same thing on the way home - I pulled over and the light went off. Didn't think much of it, but when it repeated this the next day, I decided I should check the oil level when I got home. Sure enough - essentially no oil! I put five quarts in that four banger that only held six, and that engine purred like a cat for at least twenty thousand or more miles before the parents sold it to a Ford tech who checked it out first and said he couldn't believe what great shape it was in!
For the record...I am a male. (who later in life learned all sorts of things mechanical about vehicles)
And then a couple summers ago I had female friend who's husband was away and she needed their 40+ ft fifth wheel towed behind their brand new Chevy pickup down a very steep mountain grade. She was leery it being a new truck and all, and not ever having pulled such a big trailer, so I drove that down the pass and into town - about 45 miles. She drove my Ram pickup with the transfer case rotating knob (circa about 2011) adjacent to the air conditioning control knob, and at some point she put that truck into 4WD and drove down the hill (many turns) and on into town at 65 mph. I was of course worried about the stress of things not slipping (it had a limited slip rear, also) when in 4WD on pavement, but alas, nothing bad happened and the truck ran fine for years after. I did learn that when someone - male or female - was going to drive a vehicle of mine for any distance, I need to give them a quick tutorial on the controls of the specific vehicle if they've never driven that year model before...
OK, now I've helped make this thread even longer! LOL
My favorite high school teacher, Mr Vargish, told us a story of when he owned a Pinto. He drove in reverse everywhere and people got out of his way. He said he could get across town so much faster in the Pinto than any other car he had owned using that technique!!

Bulldog4xFour

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 CJ5, 2022 JLUS 4xe, 2022 JT Mojave
Don’t know if this was said or not, I didn’t read through the whole thread, but the JT Mojave can go 50mph in 4low, and that’s with the 4.10 gear ratio. So your jeep should be fine, your finial crawl ratio would be less than the Mojave. Idk if she took any sharp turns at that speed though, that would be different. If you had a Rubicon your top speed in 4low would have been 30mph. https://news.pickuptrucks.com/2020/...ojave-is-your-desert-running-jeep-pickup.html

GGolds

First Name
Gerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler 2019 JLU Sahara. 3.6, V6. Mojito with a black hard top. Tan leather. 2019 Jeep Cherokee Limited.
Occupation
Paramedic
Perhaps I might add that my wife took out her third sideview mirror last week. We moved, and now have a large 2 car garage which we never had. However, it will never be large enough apparently. Back to lessons in how to back out of the driveway. She called her father and he said, oh honey, it was an accident, growing up we didn't have a garage so it's understandable. As long as you weren't hurt!!!!. Hurt???, hitting a side view mirror on the garage pillar. Man, I guess I have to count my blessings that she's otherwise a wonderful loving wife. Those can be very hard to find these days. I think her dad is still pissed that I lied about my age when I met her. LOL.

Saejin

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR - Firecracker Red
Man, this is great stuff...read all the posts. I came to a few conclusions.
- if your spouse says they are happy with a crappy car while you're driving a $50K Jeep, you're not really listening to them
- The OP is the one who really drove the Jeep in 4-low and is asking on behalf of his wife as a cover
- Or, his wife is positing as her husband and is just trying to make sure the Jeep is fine so she doesn't have to let him know
- And finally we are all way to bored...this post got to 12 pages in like a few days...wow

Pieman1963

First Name
Thad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL Rubicon
My wife drove my my JL Sahara 2.0T for 20 miles in 4 LOW at 60 mph. I cant find any issues? Do you think there could be permanent damage? Thanks.
Sure it wasn’t 60 km/hr?

Sponsored

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
Perhaps I might add that my wife took out her third sideview mirror last week. We moved, and now have a large 2 car garage which we never had. However, it will never be large enough apparently. Back to lessons in how to back out of the driveway. She called her father and he said, oh honey, it was an accident, growing up we didn't have a garage so it's understandable. As long as you weren't hurt!!!!. Hurt???, hitting a side view mirror on the garage pillar. Man, I guess I have to count my blessings that she's otherwise a wonderful loving wife. Those can be very hard to find these days. I think her dad is still pissed that I lied about my age when I met her. LOL.
This is a great post. One of my favorite subjects on YouTube is “Woman Driver Compilations”. Freakin hilarious. I remember my sister in law one time saying “I can’t reverse !”
With that being said, I would just like to say to all the great woman In our forum and Jeep family that I acknowledge this doesn’t apply to every woman. Most woman drivers are patient and careful.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
This is a great post. One of my favorite subjects on YouTube is “Woman Driver Compilations”. Freakin hilarious. I remember my sister in law one time saying “I can’t reverse !”
With that being said, I would just like to say to all the great woman In our forum and Jeep family that I acknowledge this doesn’t apply to every woman. Most woman drivers are patient and careful.
My wife has also crushed some mirrors over the years. One time she comes into the house and said that the mini van would not back out of the garage. I am like what do you mean, she then explains that she put it in gear, it moved about a foot and then just would not go anywhere no matter how much gas she gave it. I walk out to the garage and she has the kids power wheels quad wedged between the mini van and the garage door opening. The van had a 4cyl motor with 320,000 miles on it and it just wasn't strong enough to rip the power wheels quad in half.

It was one of these.

Jeep Wrangler JL Wife drove in 4L for 20 Miles at 60 miles per hour. 1612270466121

Mikester86

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR
Some of the comments in this thread about women in Jeeps are just plain ignorant. Some folks are still having a 1950s mindset. Here are some pics below to show them that we are in the 21st century in case those folks forgot that. As a father to a 3 year old girl, I can relate to the first pic for sure!

Jeep Wrangler JL Wife drove in 4L for 20 Miles at 60 miles per hour. 1612270466121

And send them out for some jack stands!