Sponsored

Wife drove in 4L for 20 Miles at 60 miles per hour.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
Meh, we're going to have to agree to disagree on this. The difference of wheel speed on the street at higher speeds when binding occurs will cause a lot of force to be transmitted with nowhere to go, there will be a lot of stress transferred to the driveline as the wheel speeds are forced to equalize. From what I've heard of Moab/Rubicon, you can walk a lot of the trails faster than you can drive them (I've never been). That doesn't sound like you'd need to take a turn at high speeds in 4L, or even be able to go higher speeds on most of it so some binding while making tight turns doesn't sound like it would have anywhere near the amount of force that throwing your Jeep into a turn at street speeds and having all that force bind up the components. Climbing difficult obstacles (hard, high traction obstacles) will not cause binding like that either when done correctly/in control. Yeah, if people are flying over things spinning tires and bouncing axles up and down without really being in good control, that causes its own stresses.

FYI, I spend pretty much every weekend up in the mountains in 4L all day. I'm not trying to say we need to baby these things, or faulting anyone for doing what they want with their Jeep. I was just point out that binding up on the street on pavement is not the same thing as taking tight turns on a trail in 4L and binding. There's way more force behind it on the street (or more exactly, at higher speeds where the tires can't break traction). I'm also still not getting why people are not disengaging 4L for higher speed sections of trail (that they also need to make a high speed, tight turn on?..), but to each their own.
Then we will have to agree to disagree. A full lock turn on aired down tires transmits way more stress that a turn on the streets at speeds. Nobody is turning a Jeep in 4wd to full lock at 60 mph. Being in 4l vs 4h on the street does not create more stress or less stress on the components as related to binding. Vehicles are driven in 4h all the time with out damage. The binding happens at low speed. The binding is when the vehicle does not have enough slack in the drivetrain to compensate for the different speeds of the tires while making the turn.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Morris4x4

First Name
Morris 4x4
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.morris4x4center.com
Vehicle(s)
JL, '13 JK
Top pic......to cute!
Bottom pic......she needs a jack stand.
See that's what I'm talking about @631_Islander. But in all seriousness, that's how I have to put my tires back on. It's wayyyy easier.

P.S. I traded my honda crv for my baby almost 8 years ago now :CWL: never going back. -Julia
Jeep Wrangler JL Wife drove in 4L for 20 Miles at 60 miles per hour. 1612194366987

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLU Rubicon 6-speed
This thread is still going on...?!?!

The OP is still happily married...?!?!
I was thinking the same thing about this thread. I mean this is almost as long as the thread on the Bronco!!

Sponsored

GGolds

First Name
Gerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler 2019 JLU Sahara. 3.6, V6. Mojito with a black hard top. Tan leather. 2019 Jeep Cherokee Limited.
Occupation
Paramedic
My wife drove my my JL Sahara 2.0T for 20 miles in 4 LOW at 60 mph. I cant find any issues? Do you think there could be permanent damage? Thanks.
Yet another reason I won't let my wife drive my Wrangler. LOL. Ya, it's all about equality until they ruin your Jeep or run it out of oil. It clearly is bad for the transfer case and I have no idea if it caused damage but I would just take it to the dealer and say you heard a loud sound coming from the transfer case and have them check it but don't tell them what your wife did or you could end up with a voided warranty. So she didn't even hear that the Jeep sounded like a blender at 60?.

JustinB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Cherokee, Ninja 650R, Jeep 392, Yamaha TTR230
Your odometer may have read 20 miles, but the jeep's transfer case probably incurred 2000 miles in wear. I'd change all the fluids in the transfer case just to be on the safe side.

GGolds

First Name
Gerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler 2019 JLU Sahara. 3.6, V6. Mojito with a black hard top. Tan leather. 2019 Jeep Cherokee Limited.
Occupation
Paramedic
The one good think is that I told her I needed to trade it in. I went to jeep dealer and drove Gladiator with Diesel but the diesel doesnt come with selec-trac which I really like. I guess diesel has too much torque for selec-trac.
I would never buy any Jeep from now on without Selec-Trac. It's the best $595 ever spent. The diesel is cool but honestly I hear the maintenance on them could be a pain in the ass. By the way, Consumer Reports has rated the 20 Gladiator to be the most reliable vehicle of all makes and models for 2020 according to their reader survey. Just and FYI. Pretty great news for Jeep.

Sponsored

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLU Rubicon 6-speed
Yet another reason I won't let my wife drive my Wrangler. LOL. Ya, it's all about equality until they ruin your Jeep or run it out of oil. It clearly is bad for the transfer case and I have no idea if it caused damage but I would just take it to the dealer and say you heard a loud sound coming from the transfer case and have them check it but don't tell them what your wife did or you could end up with a voided warranty. So she didn't even hear that the Jeep sounded like a blender at 60?.
The various times I have had to rescue my wife her recollection of what occurred or led up to the event is unusable in diagnosing the issue. An example of this is she described a person that did something in a mall and when asked for distinguishing features I was given this detailed description "he had brown hair and wasn't really tall". I responded that she should consider working for the FBI with the depth of that description and luckily we had narrowed the possible population to only 95% of all males in our city.