Sponsored

Wife drove in 4L for 20 Miles at 60 miles per hour.

Black Jeep Convertible

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Sport S 2.0T eTorque
Occupation
Amazon Influencer 😂
I’m trying to imagine how she ended up shifting all the way to 4lo AND THEN shifting the gear selector to D. Like didn’t it cross her mind that she shifted TWICE? I was thinking maybe she thought the 4WD selector was the gear selector, but you still need to go into D to start moving! 🤦 lol
Sponsored

Last edited:

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
That’s most likely what happened. She pulled and pulled the transfer case lever and the Jeep wouldn’t move. Then she used the transmission shifter and off she went

redracer

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 4xe Rubicon
I agree with the others, the engine should be fine. My main fear is in the transfer case. When in low range, a planetary gear is engaged on the input shaft. Spinning this gear set at high speeds probably generated a lot of heat and also sheared the oil a lot.

My suggestion is to change the transfer case oil. It's a very easy job to do at home. Pick up one of the oils sold in a bag (amsoil for example) so you won't need special pumps or make a mess. make sure to watch the old oil as it drains for any fragments.

Last edited:

Sponsored

JeezAJeep

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Baja..2019 BMW X2
Your wife owes you...BIG TIME..and make sure she delivers.

jellis4148

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
The hubs are the main thing to be concerned about. Had a customer drive home in 4wd one time, and he destroyed the hubs. Granted he drove about 100 miles like that, but even going straight on dry pavement at that speeds is bad for them. Plus the road isn't 100% straight. She has curves to go around. That would be what I would get checked out.

mnjeeper

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 TJ, 2021 JLUR
The one good think is that I told her I needed to trade it in. I went to jeep dealer and drove Gladiator with Diesel but the diesel doesnt come with selec-trac which I really like. I guess diesel has too much torque for selec-trac.
The 392 is selec trac...so not likely the reason.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
The hubs are the main thing to be concerned about. Had a customer drive home in 4wd one time, and he destroyed the hubs. Granted he drove about 100 miles like that, but even going straight on dry pavement at that speeds is bad for them. Plus the road isn't 100% straight. She has curves to go around. That would be what I would get checked out.
We have unit bearings, they spin the same in 2wd regardless.

Sponsored

JeepFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport 2-door
My wife drove my my JL Sahara 2.0T for 20 miles in 4 LOW at 60 mph. I cant find any issues? Do you think there could be permanent damage?
You, your wife, or the Jeep?

Morris4x4

First Name
Morris 4x4
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.morris4x4center.com
Vehicle(s)
JL, '13 JK
If it were mine I’d change the transfer case oil and move on.

For all the people that say it’s easy to break parts if driving in 4wd on dry pavement have never been to Moab😀
Beleive thats reserved for the SxSs only :CWL: Typically I switch back to 2 before I hit sand flats or kane (road) or river road or 191

Will

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
OP, can we get the story on why she had it in 4lo?

It can’t be as bad as my wife blowing a 5.7L Hemi in her old Commander even though in “sounded like a jet” and the check engine light was flashing. She ran it around Pensacola in July with zero coolant. (An elbow crack in a coolant line and that drained all the fluid.)

hybrid3.0

First Name
Erin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JGC
OMG you guys don't let your wives drive your nice toys - lease a $199/mo. chevy passenger car. They probably don't care enough about cars anyway. Just make sure it has Apple carplay, a nice radio and driver's visor mirror and they are good to go!

OP
OP

tbjquig

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Sahara
The 392 is selec trac...so not likely the reason.
It looks like the reason is the following:

Jeep isn’t making the Selec-Trac transfer case with its full-time four-wheel-drive option available with the diesel engine, though an engineer said that’s more a complexity-reducing decision than any technical hurdle. That’s a shame as the full-time mode is a set-it-and-forget-it features that works well in rainy or slushy conditions.
Sponsored