Sponsored

Wife drove in 4L for 20 Miles at 60 miles per hour.

Ed Pursell

First Name
-Ed-
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Willys- 3.6 Pentastar,8 speed Auto, Selec-Trac transfer case
Occupation
Supervisor- MRO Buyer Maintenance- Pet food Mfg.
Wow that’s amazing, “straining” isn’t even a word for that. My last 3 Wranglers, a 2012, 2016, and my 2021, I couldn’t even imagine a speed like that in 4 low?? Something seems odd in true 4 low, it should have been more than straining . Rpm’s must have been up there.
Sponsored

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
I don't know what all the fuss about rpm is? The pentastar dosent reach max hp till over 5000 rpm. Drive a hemi in a 3500 at max trailer weight. Its not lugging. Its on the redline getting 3 mpg.
"But the owners manual says...", obviously either a lot of people have never driven a vehicle even remotely hard, or they are just bad at math. 2.72 times the .67 overdrive puts you right around the 4th gear hi range ratio. The same gear that the jeep will likely downshift to when loaded down and pulling a steep grade at 50-60mph. Nowhere near redline. No damage. Had the tcm go out in a jetta and drove ~400 miles at 4500 rpms at 55mph because it was stuck in 3rd. Bad gas mileage was the only issue that ever presented itself.

Sponsored

MARSHMELLA

First Name
Kirt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Occupation
Military
4 lo won’t drive that fast. Also, if your wife is that unaware of 4wd and how it works, she wouldn’t be able to shift it into 4 lo. I have trouble at times trying to shift into 4 lo intentionally.

Your Jeep was in 4 hi. It’s fine.

I love Internet forum “facts”. :CWL:

Hound Dog

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon, 2002 TJ Rustomatic
Yep, if it still drives and you don't have too many clunking noises going down the road, just drive it like you stole it!

I have to agree with an earlier poster. Banned to minivan only.

No IFS

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
The jeep will not allow you to do too many stupid things. It didn’t hurt the jeep. It drove home fine. There’s no check engine lights. These things are idiot proof. Basically. It has a rev limiter a fuel pump shut off and a million other electronic nannies to protect everything Including the passenger ,driver and the environment. LOL

Sponsored

Stormin’ Moorman

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR, 20 JLUR, 21 JL, 21 GCL, 89 YJ, 04 LJ
Occupation
Forester
Vehicle Showcase
I have a Rubicon with Rock track and you could never accidentally put it into 4L. Hell, it’s hard to get it into 4L on purpose.

But a buddy of mine has Select track and it just glides into 4L. I believe you could do it on accident.

Bruce Willys

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Willys, 2021 Wrangler Unlimited High Altitude
Once upon a time, my wife generously picked up my Ram 1500 4x4 from the dealer and then came and picked me up for work. I hop in to drive and noticed that it was in 4H, on a hot summer day and she had probably driven the whole way there. I asked her if she had noticed it having trouble going around turns and she said nope. To this day I'm not sure if she accidentally engaged it, or whether the dealer had it that way when she picked it up. Pretty bad that I have so little faith in my dealer that I'm not sure if they had done it, but they worked for that reputation...

And yeah, I had told her previously the importance of verifying that a 4x4 is in 2wd while on the pavement but she almost never drove the truck and had never owned a 4x4 at that point. I stressed that time the importance again, but the truck was fine. No issues at all when I sold it years later.

JeepDave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2D Sport, V6, Manual Transmission
Also from the manual...

When operating your vehicle in 4L, the engine speed will be
approximately three times (four times for Rubicon models)
that of the 2H or 4H positions at a given road speed. Take
care not to overspeed the engine.

BlackGenesis

First Name
Andrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Sahara unlimited
It is posible to throw it all the way to 4l from 2h, as you encounter initial resistance departing 2h, which you counter with pull on the lever engaging your full upper body...ben there.

Based on rpm it was running at, only concern is how hot did the turbo got - it's best to let car idle when you have been hotlaping your Jeep (drove in boost or high rpms that caused elevated exhaust temp /turbo tem) to let turbo to cool down to prevent oil baking.