Sponsored

Wife drove in 4L for 20 Miles at 60 miles per hour.

OP
OP

tbjquig

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Sahara
That thing had to be redlining!
I do have selec-trac on my Sahara. Dont think that makes a difference on 4L. She may have been in the 50mph neighborhood instead of 60. it was slippery so she may have been a bit slower.
Sponsored

timn1984

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2018 JL Sahara,Dodge Journey 2012, Toyota Camry 2015
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
Wow I'm glad to know nothing happened in 4L, Who's up for going 60 in 4L in their Jeep???!!!

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
I think 62 is the computer limited speed for 4 low. Change the oil and you should be fine. She always drives the minivan from now on!

Sponsored

OP
OP

tbjquig

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Sahara
I think 62 is the computer limited speed for 4 low. Change the oil and you should be fine. She always drives the minivan from now on!
The one good think is that I told her I needed to trade it in. I went to jeep dealer and drove Gladiator with Diesel but the diesel doesnt come with selec-trac which I really like. I guess diesel has too much torque for selec-trac.

oldcjguy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Challenger Hellcat, 19 Challenger Scatpack, 20 JLUR Recon
Occupation
Software Engineer
You're probably fine. There was definitely some strain on the axles and transfer case if she was driving on dry pavement. Probably why it took you 20 min to get it out of 4Lo. Next time (if there is a next time) jack up one wheel so it comes off the ground. It will unload the drivetrain.

As for problems with the engine. No, a Sahara's low gear isn't that extreme and 8th in the 8 speed is the second over drive gear. Someone else calculated the RPMs above and they aren't that bad at all. The engine probably never even got that hot. With all the gear reduction the engine wasn't even under a heavy load. It was just RPMs and 4000 rpms isn't that much. We are just spoiled these days with all of the overdrive options out there. 20 minutes isn't that long.

When I was younger (old guy story coming), when we built hot rods between 3000 and 3500 RPMs at 60 was totally acceptable as a daily driven street car.

oldcjguy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Challenger Hellcat, 19 Challenger Scatpack, 20 JLUR Recon
Occupation
Software Engineer
I do have selec-trac on my Sahara. Dont think that makes a difference on 4L. She may have been in the 50mph neighborhood instead of 60. it was slippery so she may have been a bit slower.
If it was slippery then everything is totally fine. The only thing I would have been worried about would have been the driveline binding up. If she hit slippery patches it relieved the stress.

Sponsored

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon, JLU Sport, JTuRD
20 miles at near Redline, I'm sure it's broke in good now!

If it's now making any weird noises now it should be OK. I recommend and oil change after that break-in run.
Gregj

kaffeian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 2 door Sport
Occupation
Lead Machine Operator
From the owners manual...

Four-Wheel Drive Low Range — This range provides low
speed four-wheel drive. It maximizes torque to the front
driveshaft, forcing the front and rear wheels to rotate at the