Sponsored

Wife drove in 4L for 20 Miles at 60 miles per hour.

Greg H

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited JL Rubicon
I didn't read all 13 pages. So I'm not sure if it was mentioned or not. The rev limiter won't let the engine rev high enough to damage it. Only possible damage would be to the driveline if it was dry pavement.
Sponsored

Iggy

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Here's the data:

Jeep Wrangler JL Wife drove in 4L for 20 Miles at 60 miles per hour. 1612291533987

Hi range = 1.0:1 reduction (no reduction)
Low range: 2.72:1 (non-Rubicon)
Low range: 4.0:1 (Rubicon)

Last edited:

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
Here's the data:
View attachment 419256

Hi range = 1.0:1 reduction (no reduction)
Low range: 2.72:1 (non-Rubicon)
Low range: 4.0:1 (Rubicon)
This doesn't look right. According to my calculations, it's not possible to go 60 MPH in 4-low in a Rubicon.

The 3.6 would go about 56 MPH, and the 2.0 about 49 MPH.

Iggy

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
This doesn't look right. According to my calculations, it's not possible to go 60 MPH in 4-low in a Rubicon.

The 3.6 would go about 56 MPH, and the 2.0 about 49 MPH.
You're correct - my mistake. I did not adjust the final drive on the Rubicon on my first table. I've made the correction and updated the post - thanks!

Sponsored

Vinman

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
I am going to earmark this thread as a great example to remind me of how often you really have to take what you read on forums with a huge grain of salt - as a couple other posters noted, so many responses are pure speculation and so many of those are way off base...yet they're posted as though they're fact.
Some anecdotal points...
When I was 16 I drove my parents' Pinto for the summer to my daily job, and after about a month one day the CEL came on while driving. I pulled over to the side of the road, and it went off, so I continued another mile to my workplace. Same thing on the way home - I pulled over and the light went off. Didn't think much of it, but when it repeated this the next day, I decided I should check the oil level when I got home. Sure enough - essentially no oil! I put five quarts in that four banger that only held six, and that engine purred like a cat for at least twenty thousand or more miles before the parents sold it to a Ford tech who checked it out first and said he couldn't believe what great shape it was in!
For the record...I am a male. (who later in life learned all sorts of things mechanical about vehicles)
And then a couple summers ago I had female friend who's husband was away and she needed their 40+ ft fifth wheel towed behind their brand new Chevy pickup down a very steep mountain grade. She was leery it being a new truck and all, and not ever having pulled such a big trailer, so I drove that down the pass and into town - about 45 miles. She drove my Ram pickup with the transfer case rotating knob (circa about 2011) adjacent to the air conditioning control knob, and at some point she put that truck into 4WD and drove down the hill (many turns) and on into town at 65 mph. I was of course worried about the stress of things not slipping (it had a limited slip rear, also) when in 4WD on pavement, but alas, nothing bad happened and the truck ran fine for years after. I did learn that when someone - male or female - was going to drive a vehicle of mine for any distance, I need to give them a quick tutorial on the controls of the specific vehicle if they've never driven that year model before...
OK, now I've helped make this thread even longer! LOL
I’m still stuck on the fact your parents Pinto had a check engine light....

GGolds

First Name
Gerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler 2019 JLU Sahara. 3.6, V6. Mojito with a black hard top. Tan leather. 2019 Jeep Cherokee Limited.
Occupation
Paramedic
This is a great post. One of my favorite subjects on YouTube is “Woman Driver Compilations”. Freakin hilarious. I remember my sister in law one time saying “I can’t reverse !”
With that being said, I would just like to say to all the great woman In our forum and Jeep family that I acknowledge this doesn’t apply to every woman. Most woman drivers are patient and careful.
I do like how you added most women drivers are patient and careful. I'll leave that one alone. I have thankfully discovered over my many years of life that I too, am not perfect. LOL!!. I mean who in their right mind would pay 55K for a Jeep Wrangler. My CJ was $12,000 and my dad almost flipped out when he saw what that came to with interest over a five year period. I remember how he napped for 3 hours after we got home with our / his and mom's new 1980 VW Rabbit Diesel. That was $8900. A fortune in those days and a lot of money for a VW. That thing was horrible on so many levels. My dad was an English Professor and Psychologist but had a very hard time with words and patience when it came to spending money. They were depression era children and keeping 12 jars of Hellman's mayonnaise in the cupboard just in case the country ran out again, was not uncommon. I hate mayonnaise.

Bruce Willys

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Willys, 2021 Wrangler Unlimited High Altitude
I didn't read all 13 pages. So I'm not sure if it was mentioned or not. The rev limiter won't let the engine rev high enough to damage it. Only possible damage would be to the driveline if it was dry pavement.
Naw, the experts ruled out any possible driveline damage because a Rubicon has much greater amounts of torque in 4L so therefore you can burn rubber all day with a 2:72:1 low range on the street with no possible damage. None! :rock: :giggle:

Sponsored

JayJay

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLR
They were depression era children and keeping 12 jars of Hellman's mayonnaise in the cupboard just in case the country ran out again, was not uncommon. I hate mayonnaise.
I would also if I had been fed Hellman's as a child. You should try Dukes.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Naw, the experts ruled out any possible driveline damage because a Rubicon has much greater amounts of torque in 4L so therefore you can burn rubber all day with a 2:72:1 low range on the street with no possible damage. None! :rock: :giggle:
lol, that’s not what any of us said.