Sponsored

Wife drove in 4L for 20 Miles at 60 miles per hour.

Left Field

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'67 RS-SS Camaro, 2021 JLUR392
To the relationship or the jeep? 🙃

Sponsored

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
4 lo won’t drive that fast. Also, if your wife is that unaware of 4wd and how it works, she wouldn’t be able to shift it into 4 lo. I have trouble at times trying to shift into 4 lo intentionally.

Your Jeep was in 4 hi. It’s fine.

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I really doubt there is anything wrong. If you/her didn't or haven't heard any abnormal noises by now, I'm sure it's fine.

There's nothing superstitious or mysterious about low range. You just can't go as fast due to the gear reduction.

The biggest concern with unknowingly being in 4L is when making a tight turn. There's a lot of torque going to the axles and it would've been super easy to break a front axle shaft yoke/u-joint.

Your Jeep is fine. Probably should give your wife a lesson on transfer case engagement. I have to do it every winter for my wife! :LOL:

Sponsored

Black Jeep Convertible

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Sport S 2.0T eTorque
Occupation
Amazon Influencer 😂

Left Field

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'67 RS-SS Camaro, 2021 JLUR392
If you've got stock tires, the 2.72:1 t-case, baseline diff gears (3.45) and the 8 speed auto, my math says the engine would be running around 3955 RPM at 60mph. Yes, zipping along, but engine & transmission shouldn't have a problem. Likely not with the t-case either, but this t-case is not my expertise. Likely the driveline racked up a little extra wear (equivalent to extra miles). If something fails in the future, it's likely it would have failed anyway, just a little further down the road.
$0.02

Might pull the t-case fill plug and dab a little fluid out - check its color and whether it smells burnt. Not real likely, but if so it would be a good idea to change fluid.

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
4 lo won’t drive that fast. Also, if your wife is that unaware of 4wd and how it works, she wouldn’t be able to shift it into 4 lo. I have trouble at times trying to shift into 4 lo intentionally.

Why wouldn't it? If it's an auto, there's 8 gears to go through and there probably isn't any reason why it wouldn't shift all the way to 8th. Of course, I've never driven mine in 4L that fast, but I had my TJ Rubicon in 4L to about 50 in 5th gear.

Bay Sailor

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon

Chocolate Thunder, I completely agree with you. It would be hard for his wife to put it into 4 wheel low unintentionally and then even if she did get it in there, I don't see how you get it to 60 mph. You would hit red line well before then. That engine would sound like it is coming apart....because it would be!!!
Sponsored