Sponsored

RockyMtnHigh

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon - Punk'n Orange
Someone just asked about this in another thread. I'd wager it's a pressure switch for the airbags.

JonW

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.socallx.com
Vehicle(s)
2012 Chrysler 300 SRT8, 2006 Toyota PreRunner, Researching a JL
It is a pressure switch for the airbags. The seats approximate the weight of the passenger for variable force airbag deployment.

EJA

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Engineer
It is a pressure switch for the airbags. The seats approximate the weight of the passenger for variable force airbag deployment.
A previous post stated both sides have the tube. Typically only passenger sides have an occupant classification system (OCS), I am not aware of any vehicles having it on both sides. Primary function of the OCS is to not deploy the passenger airbag for smaller occupants (children) to meet FMVSS 208 (US safety regulation). Some OCS's are capable to distinguish between different adult occupant sizes and then can be used to tailor the deployment strategy between the first and second airbag stages or the belt load if equipped.

I just retired but I can try and find out from a seat engineer what it is if they will still talk to me.

Sponsored

JonW

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.socallx.com
Vehicle(s)
2012 Chrysler 300 SRT8, 2006 Toyota PreRunner, Researching a JL
Wiring diagrams show "Module-Driver Detection" using what looks to be the same connector as the passenger side "Module-Occupant Classification".

EJA

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Engineer
OK, so I think I know what it is for. As Jon said above the wiring diagram states a driver detection mat/sensor. This is similar to an occupant classification sensor except as the name implies it only detects the presence of an occupant. It is not used for the airbags like the passenger side sensor is, I believe it is there because of the auto stop/start feature.

Typically a vehicle would have a switch on the driver door to detect if it is open. This way if a vehicle is stopped at a light (engine off) and the driver opens the door and starts to get out, the engine will not restart to keep the car from driving off. Since our vehicles can be driven without doors they need another way to keep this from happening and use the detection mat instead.

Last edited: