Sponsored

widening the sport up, 265 70 17

PavementWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL
I love the zip my wrangler has, and I mostly see sand, mud/rocks or snow (no extreme rack climbing,I hit mountains, beach and such), so a 32 inch tire is fine.

The all season does not work, so was thinking of going slightly wider (8% wider not insane) and basically the same height with a 265 70 17 C load rated Ko2. Anyone out there try this?

Looks like I can keep my zip, and get a good performing tire
Sponsored

Nomad

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I love the zip my wrangler has, and I mostly see sand, mud/rocks or snow (no extreme rack climbing,I hit mountains, beach and such), so a 32 inch tire is fine.

The all season does not work, so was thinking of going slightly wider (8% wider not insane) and basically the same height with a 265 70 17 C load rated Ko2. Anyone out there try this?

That's what I'm planning on doing when mine arrives. Maybe even 285/65/17 but that's a strange size without many choices. All the tire/wheel suppliers indicate you need a wider than stock 7" wheel though. Lot's of choices in 17"x9".

OP
OP
PavementWarrior

PavementWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL
That's what I'm planning on doing when mine arrives. Maybe even 285/65/17 but that's a strange size without many choices. All the tire/wheel suppliers indicate you need a wider than stock 7" wheel though. Lot's of choices in 17"x9".
Ya, the 285 65 17 takes you out of most major brands sadly. Debating if I want to change the wheels, I may simply get 4 of the 265 70 KO2s (the spare is same size pretty much) and throw a tire cover over spare.

Carolina88

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting-Gray JLU Sport S
When I get my Sport S (at some point), my plan is to get 255/75/17 tires for it. I believe that's the same size tire on the JK Rubicon and Sport S. I've always thought the JK Rubi tires looked like a good size -- not too big, not too small.

BigJimSlade

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU

I haven't done it yet but that's my plan for my daily driver tires. I plan to also get another set of Sport S wheels and possibly 285 70 mud tires for when I go camping/off-roading (but a 265 70 mud tire may be just fine). I'd hate to lose the light nimble feel on my commute but I go to some really muddy places where the mud tires would help a lot over an AT.

Anyone find any pics of JLs on 265s?

Sponsored

ryansjeep48

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler
When I get my Sport S (at some point), my plan is to get 255/75/17 tires for it. I believe that's the same size tire on the JK Rubicon and Sport S. I've always thought the JK Rubi tires looked like a good size -- not too big, not too small.
What did you end up getting for tire/wheel setup?

Boatbuilder88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
F-16 Engineer (retired)

@PavementWarrior ... Did you end up buying the 265/70-17s?

Htfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase

I'm running this exact set up - 265 70 17 K02s

Love them! I've had them on for 6k miles with little or no difference in zip or mpg.

Boatbuilder88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
F-16 Engineer (retired)
I'm running this exact set up - 265 70 17 K02s

Love them! I've had them on for 6k miles with little or no difference in zip or mpg.
Any rubbing? I'm seriously considering this setup. Thx.

Lil Punk'n

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangled jl sport
Occupation
Retired, School bus driver
I went wider yet . 305 /65/ 17. Didnt lose any performance as far as I can tell.

Sponsored

Htfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase
Any rubbing? I'm seriously considering this setup. Thx.
No rubbing at all with stock suspension height.

Since then I have installed a Rubicon suspension (1.5" lift) and looks great!

Htfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase
No I had to fix my death shimmy. Was waiting before changing anything. Now I am thinking of getting out of fca products for good
Did you get your death wobble fixed? If so, what was the cause?

OP
OP
PavementWarrior

PavementWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL
Did you get your death wobble fixed? If so, what was the cause?
No wobble, had shimmy and some wandering. I replaced my defective ss with a teraflex, torqued all bolts to spec, adjusted tire pressure and it’s better. Zero shimmy, debating if I wanna beef up steering before putting bigger tires.
Sponsored