Why won't California dealers deal?

xray

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLU Rubicon
Other than my local dealer (San Diego Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram - offering 1% under) I have tried all the dealers on the dealer map. Moss brothers, Bob Baker, etc and none of them even bother responding. The deals I saw people get 4-5% seem to be for 2018s or on lot sales. Why doesn't anyone want to bother with factory orders? The volume of sales in California must swamp other states - so why don't we get a benefit of that.

At this rate, I might go to Vegas but it's not that convenient, also with a trade in, DMV hassle, and paying tax here.
Sponsored

xeon

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Other than my local dealer (San Diego Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram - offering 1% under) I have tried all the dealers on the dealer map. Moss brothers, Bob Baker, etc and none of them even bother responding. The deals I saw people get 4-5% seem to be for 2018s or on lot sales. Why doesn't anyone want to bother with factory orders? The volume of sales in California must swamp other states - so why don't we get a benefit of that.

At this rate, I might go to Vegas but it's not that convenient, also with a trade in, DMV hassle, and paying tax here.

I bought my Jeep at Huntington Beach Jeep in So Cal through Fleet Sales. The salesman's name is Fred. You might want to give him a shot, he allowed custom ordering....in an out very fast. Got a great deal back in April 2018. Not sure what it is now but what I can tell you is the prices were lower going through him than through the main sales office. I don't live anywhere near HB now and have tried other dealers for service too. Their offroad performance department is really great and knowledgeable...only dealer I would take my Jeep to. I am not affiliated with them in any way...just a happy customer.

millerjl

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
You can also give Marty Striano a call at DCH in Temecula. Have been dealing with him for 10 years. Tell him Chuck said to give him a call and he may be able to work a deal on an order for you.

RonAZ

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Might be that the cost of doing business in California is so much higher than say Nevada or Idaho, that they can't sell at the same discounts that other parts of the country can. Or collusion among dealers based on the premis that customers won't travel out of state to buy.

OP
OP
xray

xray

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLU Rubicon
I bought my Jeep at Huntington Beach Jeep in So Cal through Fleet Sales. The salesman's name is Fred. You might want to give him a shot, he allowed custom ordering....in an out very fast. Got a great deal back in April 2018. Not sure what it is now but what I can tell you is the prices were lower going through him than through the main sales office. I don't live anywhere near HB now and have tried other dealers for service too. Their offroad performance department is really great and knowledgeable...only dealer I would take my Jeep to. I am not affiliated with them in any way...just a happy customer.
Thanks for the tip. I never thought about fleet sales being an option.

Sponsored

OP
OP
xray

xray

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLU Rubicon
Might be that the cost of doing business in California is so much higher than say Nevada or Idaho, that they can't sell at the same discounts that other parts of the country can. Or collusion among dealers based on the premis that customers won't travel out of state to buy.
I thought about that, but the volume done by Los Angeles dealers is absolutely mind boggling. Any dealer has said to just about anything reasonable under invoice for any car I bought. This is even before I started getting these insider tips from forums. I see on-lot inventory as pretty high at most dealers, so not sure short of having a friend as a dealer give up their finances.

OP
OP
xray

xray

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLU Rubicon
You can also give Marty Striano a call at DCH in Temecula. Have been dealing with him for 10 years. Tell him Chuck said to give him a call and he may be able to work a deal on an order for you.
Thanks, I’ll try to call him directly.

FPrice

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Rubicon 4D
0602B11C-F689-4049-9626-9C41549FB82E.png
I bought mine from Rancho in 12/31/18 I thought I got a pretty good deal for SoCal.

johnparjr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe
Mine wasn’t a order was off the lot on 12/24 they wanted to make a sale so Price was 46,999 and I got them down to 39000 otd for a 2018 Sahara 4 door

Sponsored

DezertTitan

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Railroader
Vehicle Showcase
Ordered mine thru Vegas. Sticker was $55.6, I paid $50.1. I took my own financing so I got stuck paying an extra 500, my original quote was $49.6. John got a great deal, but in my almost year long hunt, I found So Cal dealers unwilling to make any effort. They tried acting like cutting out dealer mark ups was some kind of deal & I should have been grateful!

simpleJL

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR
I got 7% below invoice over at Monterey Jeep, but this was back before they hit dealer lots. I ordered in December of 2017.

You gotta learn to work those dealers.

Jeepsmashin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Last year in February I went to a few dealers.

Elsinore Jeep wanted a $3000 to mark up to factory order a JLUR

Temecula Jeep 1% under invoice

Huntington Beach Jeep wouldnt go under 1% under invoice +$300 off

Nobody else would go under msrp and I emailed and texted like 20 dealers in ca.

I ended up going to Jim marsh and couldnt be happier, got a no bull shit, no games played deal, and I spent the weekend in vegas, it was an amazing experience, I'd do it again

Poromenos

First Name
Dion
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
Same in NY, specifically NYC suburbs. When I was shopping around for my JLUR the attitude I got from dealers was take it or leave it. Some wouldnt even return calls after I tried to negotiate. One dealer said he was being generous by taking $700 of window sticker. Another dealer looked like he was willing to deal and took a few grand off sticker, but then said I had to finance through them at a ridiculously inflated interest rate. No thanks. Dealers in high volume areas don’t care to deal much is the impression I got, they feel like they could get the money from the next guy.
Sponsored