Why won't California dealers deal?

JLURay

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2018 BMW M2, 2013 FIAT 500E, 1998 TOYOTA 4RUNNER
I wouldn't mind going to the DMV myself, but it seems difficult, if not impossible with Covid. It's pretty much impossible to make an appointment and I'm not sure if you can just walk in. Did you pay sales tax with a credit card by chance? One thing about the private DMV is the credit card charge is pretty outrageous.
I did a walk in with my contract from the purchase. I paid the sales tax by check, but you can pay by credit card. There was a 1 or 2% charge to do this. I screwed up and didn't use my credit card which gives me 3% cash back...I blame my mask for depriving my brain of oxygen.

One issue is dealing with FCA. California gives you a 30 day temp license to put on the windshield once you pay the sales tax (and you have to pay this I think within 10 days of bringing the vehicle into the state). So this starts the clock ticking. The problem is it takes FCA 3 to 4 weeks to get the paper title to the local DMV. My AZ temp paper plate on the Jeep says registered through Jan 2021, so it looks like I am semi-legal even though my temp CA license in the windshield says 11/26. This is the only part that is kind of a hassle...
Sponsored

dalema

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL392, Golf GTI
I ordered from Rob at Tuttle Click too on Sept 25th. Still waiting but at least it has started assembly this weekend. According to Rob, the combination of feature/color on a 2 door w/mt may have caused the delay. Ordered a white JLR w/mt.

RT
Ordered mine from Tuttle Click in Irvine at 4% under invoice with tread lightly membership.

Rob Trachtman was the contact. Easy order. Still waiting on delivery.
Robā€˜s awesome - I bought mine a year ago from him!

Deleted member 59098

Update on my adventure buying in Washington. I flew from SFO to SEA on the 6:00AM flight. I took the Whidby shuttle from the airport via a car ferry and scenic trip to Oak Harbor. Arrived about 12:45pm. Took a short walk to Oak Harbor Motors and checked out my Jeep right in front. I went inside was greeted immediately and given the keys right away to test drive. Drove around the neighborhood a bit and all was good. Came back and they had all the paperwork prepared. I had a few questions and a nice lady from accounting helped to get the buyers statement to itemize the price for the DMV tax calculation. I called my bank, got a funding statement and we were done. Took like 30 minutes. No extended warranty sale or any other BS.

So I drove back south through Seattle traffic and woke up early the next morning and drove to Yreka, CA. About 11:30am stopped at a Smog shop, took about 20 minutes and cost $59. Next went to the Yreka DMV and got served pretty quick. The manager actually helped me out and got me set up with a 30 day permit. I got most of the registration done, I just need to go back to a Bay Area DMV once the dealership gets funded and they send the manufacture title to me. Sales tax is due at the DMV at that time.

It was a 950 mile drive in two days. Iā€™m surprised the Wrangler didnā€™t wreck me with that much driving. Itā€™s actually pretty comfortable for long trips.

Anyway, in conclusion, I am very pleased with the whole experience. My prior experience with a Bay Area dealership left me pretty bitter. Iā€™m a part time resident in a rural Tahoe community and have grown to prefer buying from small local family businesses over the years.

If youā€™re looking for the best cost and big inventory, probably one of those huge Idaho dealerships would be best. CA registration is easy, so this is a viable option.

One thing about Oak Harbor is they only have like 30 new vehicles, including mini vans and such. Iā€™m not sure about financing, since I brought my own. They work with USAA a lot because a large NAS is in town. Maybe they could work with you on a custom order or do a dealership trade with something in Seattle.

Anyway, Iā€™m happy to be a part of the JL community now. I actually had like 3 people come up and ask me about the Jeep on some very short stops. I never get that with my ZJ or Golf R. Amazing vehicle, Iā€™m psyched.
Jeep Wrangler JL Why won't California dealers deal? 5B366871-8235-4494-9D9A-4A18DE1142B3

dalema

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL392, Golf GTI
Update on my adventure buying in Washington. I flew from SFO to SEA on the 6:00AM flight. I took the Whidby shuttle from the airport via a car ferry and scenic trip to Oak Harbor. Arrived about 12:45pm. Took a short walk to Oak Harbor Motors and checked out my Jeep right in front. I went inside was greeted immediately and given the keys right away to test drive. Drove around the neighborhood a bit and all was good. Came back and they had all the paperwork prepared. I had a few questions and a nice lady from accounting helped to get the buyers statement to itemize the price for the DMV tax calculation. I called my bank, got a funding statement and we were done. Took like 30 minutes. No extended warranty sale or any other BS.

So I drove back south through Seattle traffic and woke up early the next morning and drove to Yreka, CA. About 11:30am stopped at a Smog shop, took about 20 minutes and cost $59. Next went to the Yreka DMV and got served pretty quick. The manager actually helped me out and got me set up with a 30 day permit. I got most of the registration done, I just need to go back to a Bay Area DMV once the dealership gets funded and they send the manufacture title to me. Sales tax is due at the DMV at that time.

It was a 950 mile drive in two days. Iā€™m surprised the Wrangler didnā€™t wreck me with that much driving. Itā€™s actually pretty comfortable for long trips.

Anyway, in conclusion, I am very pleased with the whole experience. My prior experience with a Bay Area dealership left me pretty bitter. Iā€™m a part time resident in a rural Tahoe community and have grown to prefer buying from small local family businesses over the years.

If youā€™re looking for the best cost and big inventory, probably one of those huge Idaho dealerships would be best. CA registration is easy, so this is a viable option.

One thing about Oak Harbor is they only have like 30 new vehicles, including mini vans and such. Iā€™m not sure about financing, since I brought my own. They work with USAA a lot because a large NAS is in town. Maybe they could work with you on a custom order or do a dealership trade with something in Seattle.

Anyway, Iā€™m happy to be a part of the JL community now. I actually had like 3 people come up and ask me about the Jeep on some very short stops. I never get that with my ZJ or Golf R. Amazing vehicle, Iā€™m psyched.
Jeep Wrangler JL Why won't California dealers deal? 5B366871-8235-4494-9D9A-4A18DE1142B3
Thatā€™s awesome - and welcome to the Jeep family. Sounds like a great experience and the rig looks fantastic. Safe driving!

Sponsored

RobTrachtman

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tuttleclickchrysler.com
Vehicle(s)
19 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Occupation
Fleet Manager Tuttle Click Jeep Chrysler Dodge Hyundai
I ordered Oct 28th and I'm expecting mine to have a really long delay. I'll be pleasantly surprised if it doesn't though!

2Dr, Sarge Willy's Sport MT, no AC, and dual doors. I haven't seen any dual door group Jeeps built yet....
Its in D status finally

JLURay

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Glad it all worked out for you...so far.

Here is an update on my saga of completing my California registration, and surprisingly, it has nothing to do with the DMV. First off, FCA will not send the title to the owner, it has to go to the DMV. FCA requires a fax request to send the title to my local DMV. I sent the fax on 10/29/20 as instructed and I went along happily with my 30 day temporary CA license. Fast forward to last week (11/23/20), and I have heard nothing from the DMV. Hmmm... I call the DMV and they have no record of receiving my title. I then call FCA and they say they did not receive my fax request until 11/9 and that it takes 3 weeks to process the title transfer. I told FCA that I had a successful fax sent acknowledgement and I was then told, yes, they do show my request was received on 10/29/20, but they are running behind on processing. Fantastic, my 30 day temporary license expires on 11/27/20. So, I call the DMV back, explain the situation, and was told that the DMV typically does not issue a second temporary license. The guy I spoke with was great and said he would issue and mail me a replacement 90 day temporary to cover me while FCA figures out what they are doing.

So the moral of the story is you may want to stay on top of FCA on the status of your title. FCA has a specific phone number just for title issues, 855-531-5531.

Deleted member 59098

Here is an update on my saga of completing my California registration, and surprisingly, it has nothing to do with the DMV. First off, FCA will not send the title to the owner, it has to go to the DMV. FCA requires a fax request to send the title to my local DMV. I sent the fax on 10/29/20 as instructed and I went along happily with my 30 day temporary CA license. Fast forward to last week (11/23/20), and I have heard nothing from the DMV. Hmmm... I call the DMV and they have no record of receiving my title. I then call FCA and they say they did not receive my fax request until 11/9 and that it takes 3 weeks to process the title transfer. I told FCA that I had a successful fax sent acknowledgement and I was then told, yes, they do show my request was received on 10/29/20, but they are running behind on processing. Fantastic, my 30 day temporary license expires on 11/27/20. So, I call the DMV back, explain the situation, and was told that the DMV typically does not issue a second temporary license. The guy I spoke with was great and said he would issue and mail me a replacement 90 day temporary to cover me while FCA figures out what they are doing.

So the moral of the story is you may want to stay on top of FCA on the status of your title. FCA has a specific phone number just for title issues, 855-531-5531.
Iā€™m getting the MRO, or whatever itā€™s called direct from the dealership. I wonder why you need to get it from FCA.

My dealership has the title, which theyā€™re supposedly Fed Exing to me now. I wonder why you need to get it from FCA? That sounds like kind of a pain dealing with a transaction between a huge corporation and a huge bureaucratic department.

JLURay

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Iā€™m getting the MRO, or whatever itā€™s called direct from the dealership. I wonder why you need to get it from FCA.

My dealership has the title, which theyā€™re supposedly Fed Exing to me now. I wonder why you need to get it from FCA? That sounds like kind of a pain dealing with a transaction between a huge corporation and a huge bureaucratic department.
FCA said it was something related to Arizona as the reason the dealership doesn't get the title with an out of state purchase. Whatever, I'm glad the process worked out smoother for you.

Deleted member 59098

FCA said it was something related to Arizona as the reason the dealership doesn't get the title with an out of state purchase. Whatever, I'm glad the process worked out smoother for you.
The dealership overnighted the MSO and odometer disclosure. I went to an excellent private DMV service in Hayward. $49 and 15 minutes later I was screwing on my new plates and threw the registration in the glove box. In conclusion, my out of state buying experience was excellent. I saved about $5k over the exact same configuration here. Had a much better dealer experience and had a scenic drive. Definitely worth it.

Sponsored

RobTrachtman

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tuttleclickchrysler.com
Vehicle(s)
19 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Occupation
Fleet Manager Tuttle Click Jeep Chrysler Dodge Hyundai
Just an update everyone!

I am doing 4 percent under invoice on the regular wranglers except the 392 and the hybrid..
I am doing 3 percent over invoice on the Hybrid Wranglers.. I have allocation so if you are considering one, hit me up and I will price it out for you.. [email protected] or 954-864-5162

The only fees I charge are tax, license, 85 doc fee, 8.75 ca tire fee and 30 electronic filing fee.. no hidden accessories, warranties, high finance rates, high doc fees.. you aren't even obligated to finance with me.

Rob Trachtman
Tuttle Click Chrysler Jeep Dodge Ram
40 Auto Center Dr
Irvine Ca 92618
C 954-864-5162
[email protected]
Sponsored