Sponsored

Why was eTorque discontinued for Rubicon?

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
I concur. In fact, it appears to have been reintroduced for all Rubis. At least in that I just ordered a 2020 Rubi less than a week ago and was offered eTorque as an option.
You sure the 2.0 was eTorque for the Rubicon? I believe the 3,6 also has eTorque as a option now?
Sponsored

Yngwie

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Sarge Green JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
You sure the 2.0 was eTorque for the Rubicon? I believe the 3,6 also has eTorque as a option now?
Not sure. Like I said, I was offered eTorque. We didn't go into details.

EDIT: Just sent the dealer an email to check. I'll keep you posted.

Lou Bunn

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S
I won't argue the point that etorgue is better for start/stop. But, I the first thing I do after starting the Jeep is hit that button to turn it off, I'd still do that regardless of the system used.

Reactions: VNT

BrntWS6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2002 WS6
Is it the initial start up on an ESS event that is smoother on the etorque? I really don't have any complaints on my '19 ESS system. But to be fair I have nothing to compare it to.

AlexJeepVB

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon 2.0T eTorque
Is it the initial start up on an ESS event that is smoother on the etorque? I really don't have any complaints on my '19 ESS system. But to be fair I have nothing to compare it to.
On the eTorque the BSG turns the engine over seamlessly when you raise your foot off the brake. Its not like the ESS which your feel the engine start back up with the starter, with the BSG the Jeep just starts moving again with no noticeable start.

Sponsored

misanthrope

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Schwinn Homegrown
Occupation
Badass
Confirmed it was the V6 with eTorque.
As is the case with many, many, many, many, many...many dealer sourced bits of information, I am inclined to believe that this dealer had absolutely no idea what he or she was talking about. The order guide that Jay posted just 6 days ago clearly shows the 3.6 eTorque engine (ERG) available exclusively on the Sahara trim, and even the 2.0 (EC3) is only available on the Recon outside of the Sahara.
He may have offered to you, but he never could have ordered that vehicle.

engines.PNG

JeepRAD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Old thread, but this is actually incorrect. The BSG costs payload/towing due to component weight. You lose ~70lbs payload and 50 towing. The 12,750 comes from somewhere else I cannot recall right now. Went threw it last year when I purchased my 1500.

upload_2020-1-28_21-15-41.png
Fair point. But it does appear that the max towing is only available with the BSG. Although that is probably coincidental based on the table.

Yngwie

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Sarge Green JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
As is the case with many, many, many, many, many...many dealer sourced bits of information, I am inclined to believe that this dealer had absolutely no idea what he or she was talking about. The order guide that Jay posted just 6 days ago clearly shows the 3.6 eTorque engine (ERG) available exclusively on the Sahara trim, and even the 2.0 (EC3) is only available on the Recon outside of the Sahara.
He may have offered to you, but he never could have ordered that vehicle.

engines.PNG
I missed this reply. Thanks for the clarification and I have no reason to disagree with you. It was offered, I didn't take it, so it may not have been available. The salesman is great for getting a good deal quickly, but he doesn't seem inclined to sit and chit-chat about options, which was fine with me because I knew what I wanted.

If anything, your response helps me not wonder whether I should have gotten it or not. ;)

Kizzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Wrangler
On the eTorque the BSG turns the engine over seamlessly when you raise your foot off the brake. Its not like the ESS which your feel the engine start back up with the starter, with the BSG the Jeep just starts moving again with no noticeable start.
Hopefully it returns to the Rubicon. The eTorque is a much better implementation of ESS. It boggles the mind why it was removed as an option on the Rubicon.

Sponsored

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
Hopefully it returns to the Rubicon. The eTorque is a much better implementation of ESS. It boggles the mind why it was removed as an option on the Rubicon.
It’s available in the Recon Rubicon.

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Between the constant regenerative braking and discharging causes high heat to the 48V battery. It needs its own dedicated cooling system to keep temps down and maintain battery efficiency
Sponsored