Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
The last time I built a Bronco the soft top nor the sunrider top on the accessories list, but I never said you could not buy a soft top. I have seen pics of the Bestop soft top on a 2 door so I am sure they are being made currently.

The person I replied to was saying that TFL was not going to find a Bronco for less than MSRP. My point was that even if he did,it will be an additional cost on the Bronco vs the Wrangler due to the soft top being a must have item.

TFL said they got a discount of $2k and some change, if he got the same discount on the Bronco it would be instantly negated by the additional $2229 to purchase the soft top.

Personally I think he should have at least spent the extra to get the twill top instead of the sail cloth as it is a far nicer top and will look a lot better for a lot longer.
Tommy strikes me as a young guy with the mindset of a grandpa who grew up during the Great Depression.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
lol do you ever get sick of your exaggerations?

People literally driving around in Broncos, taking deliveries, and this guy is still like "they're years away."
Any idea if dealers can give a reasonable delivery window for a new Bronco ordered today?

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
As said in the bio just under my profile picture, i'm in Canada.
Yeah saw that. That's why I said in America. Hopefully JEEP gets better with order information and updates for you Canadian Wrangler brother and sisters.

Sponsored

SH556JL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR M6 RIP, 23 JLR M6
His views doesnā€™t seem much different then my when I bought my first new vehicle, my Jeep. I originally wanted the Bronco, couldnā€™t get one exactly as I wanted and the constant delays got me annoyed and canceled my reservation. Started shopping Jeepā€™s (briefly looked at Defender) and every single one I seen was nearly loaded and local dealers has all kinds of stupid fees. Played around on the Jeep build to get more of a base model (or better known as a blank canvas) and like the price point. Was going to order one similar to Tommy, but found a base Rubicon with only options being color and mud tires for mid 30s new on the lot not far from where I was in the field. Plus it matched the helicopter I was working on at the time, it may have been a sign. I bought it over the phone, very easy process.

I really enjoy it, but itā€™s true what they say... Just Empty Every Pocket, already ordered a bunch of stuff :jk:

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Tommy strikes me as a young guy with the mindset of a grandpa who grew up during the Great Depression.
A lot of younger people are like this. They donā€™t make as much as many think. There are many more degreed people in their 20s-30s than there were when I was that age. Competition for just decent paying jobs is tough. Many arenā€™t working in their degree fields and many are working hourly wage jobs.

Itā€™s kind of impressive to see how many are restrained with their spending. It makes it tough for car manufacturers to market to the younger demagraphic, as they donā€™t have the same percent of expendable income as those a generation earlier did. Look how many of us here are in our 40s-60s, thatā€™s pretty telling. Not to mention that these things are pretty damn expensive, new or used.

Last edited:

Ridgway Jeeper

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Occupation
Real Estate Agent
The last time I built a Bronco the soft top nor the sunrider top on the accessories list, but I never said you could not buy a soft top. I have seen pics of the Bestop soft top on a 2 door so I am sure they are being made currently.

The person I replied to was saying that TFL was not going to find a Bronco for less than MSRP. My point was that even if he did,it will be an additional cost on the Bronco vs the Wrangler due to the soft top being a must have item.

TFL said they got a discount of $2k and some change, if he got the same discount on the Bronco it would be instantly negated by the additional $2229 to purchase the soft top.

Personally I think he should have at least spent the extra to get the twill top instead of the sail cloth as it is a far nicer top and will look a lot better for a lot longer.
I am just saying that both tops were a must have for us and the discount I did get on the Wrangler was more than eaten up by buying the soft top.

I am pleased with the sail cloth top, it is only a part time top for us and so far seems to work great. I am not sure what functional advantage the twill top would have for my use for the extra $500. I read lots of reviews here before deciding.

I think getting a Bronco not marked up over msrp off the lot is likely impossible, much less discounted below msrp. I did find a dealer nearby to order my new super duty truck under msrp though when the rest were firm at msrp. All of the SD trucks on the lots had a $3000 mark up. They said Raptors and Broncos were $5000 over though I didn't see either in their inventory. My Jeep dealer is down to three Gladiators, zero Wranglers and one Ram truck. Almost seems like it is getting worse...

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
A lot of younger people are like this. They donā€™t make as much as many think. There are many more degreed people in their 20s-30s than there were when I was that age. Competition for just decent paying jobs is tough. Many arenā€™t working in their degree fields and many are working hourly wage jobs.

Itā€™s kind of impressive to see how many are restrained with their spending. It makes it tough for car manufacturers to market to the younger demagraphic, as they donā€™t have the same percent of expendable income as those a generation earlier did. Look how many of here are in our 40s-60s, thatā€™s pretty telling. Not to mention that these things are pretty damn expensive, new or used.
For sure. I like Tommy. He seems to be a bright, hard-working kid.

He has expressed many times that he likes simple, tried-and-true, old-school things. He ogled over a beat up 1970s Subaru and derided a brand-new Crosstrek; he preferred the simplicity and ā€œaffordabilityā€ of the $55,000 Defender 4-cyl with steel wheels over the fancy $80,000 turbo six.

I think that preference is playing out here in his choice of a tried-and-true Wrangler over a flashier, unproven ā€”and yet unavailableā€” Bronco. Even his choice of a Willys reveals his appreciation for good value.

I, on the other hand, spend way too much money on vehicles... šŸ˜«

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
Let's take a vote on whether or not @aldo98229 will admit to us when he sees a Bronco before the end of 2021. And any good artists can also submit their interpretations of what his face looked like the moment he saw it.

Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Itā€™s kind of impressive to see how many are restrained with their spending. It makes it tough for car manufacturers to market to the younger demagraphic, as they donā€™t have the same percent of expendable income as those a generation earlier did. Look how many of here are in our 40s-60s, thatā€™s pretty telling. Not to mention that these things are pretty damn expensive, new or used.
I thought the same but I was wrong. Millennials are buying cars.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jackne...f-several-factors-study-says/?sh=4c54f5d620b0

https://www.autoweek.com/news/a1815...nials-fastest-growing-segment-vehicle-buyers/

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
They are, but not in the numbers expected. There are as many Millennials as Boomers. Boomers are exiting the market as they retire and many go to a fixed income. Millennials aren't prioritizing home and auto purchases to even the same degree as Gen X. And most just aren't seeing the kind of relative income levels that we saw in the 80s-early 00s. They tend to be more practical in their car buying decisions. We have 3 kids in that age range. The youngest is the most painfully practical person you will meet. She would like a $40k Jeep, but can't afford it and even if she could, I doubt she would pull the trigger. But she has the Jeep bug from having my old 2 door XJ for several years. When she did buy, she bought a new $24k Frontier Crew Cab over a new $32 JK Sport hardtop. Cost, intended use and practicality were the considerations. Want was not in the equation.

Hell, even used JKs are stupidly expensive right now. The JK market is where the younger folks are now, as many were bought for them as first or college cars. Of course it's easier to mod something that you don't have a payment on.

As the shift in population goes from big cities to smaller communities, cars are becoming more relevant again. Many new people are moving to may area. I wasn't seeing all too many young drivers until about a year ago. Still not as many teen drivers as a decade ago. You gotta have a car here in "flyover country", our cities were designed for "walkability".

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They are, but not in the numbers expected. There are as many Millennials as Boomers. Boomers are exiting the market as they retire and many go to a fixed income. Millennials aren't prioritizing home and auto purchases to even the same degree as Gen X. And most just aren't seeing the kind of relative income levels that we saw in the 80s-early 00s. They tend to be more practical in their car buying decisions. We have 3 kids in that age range. The youngest is the most painfully practical person you will meet. She would like a $40k Jeep, but can't afford it and even if she could, I doubt she would pull the trigger. But she has the Jeep bug from having my old 2 door XJ for several years. When she did buy, she bought a new $24k Frontier Crew Cab over a new $32 JK Sport hardtop. Cost, intended use and practicality were the considerations. Want was not in the equation.

Hell, even used JKs are stupidly expensive right now. The JK market is where the younger folks are now, as many were bought for them as first or college cars. Of course it's easier to mod something that you don't have a payment on.
I thought I was right about Millennials not buying cars based on my friend's kids. Hardly any of them have any interest in buying cars. Maybe it's demographics? Most of friend's kids live in downtown Chicago. They use ride share like Uber all the time. They also use the rental Divvy Bikes, rental electric scooters, ride their own bikes, use public transportation if needed. They actually stopped using public transportation due to covid and use rental bikes and electric scooters more now. Many still work from home so they rely less on transportation. They spend heir disposable income on vacations and socializing. I guess cars are just not fun or cool to them?
Sponsored