Sponsored

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
I can imagine lol I honestly don't know what I would do without good pizza in my life.

Well, there you have it. There are 800 broncos in the wild. And last I checked, 800 isn't enough to be considered real. So you guys win - the bronco is still not real. Numbers don't lie.
It is a real, overpriced, limited production vehicle at this point, it is far from real competition to the wrangler. Until they can produce and deliver even half the orders placed 6 months ago you’d be a fool to buy one. What is the lead time when something does fail? How much mark up are you going to throw away? If you place an order now, it still looks like you may end up in a 2023 model year. Pretending they are available and them actually being readily available like their competitors are 2 very different things. Until there are real world examples by people not paid by, affiliated with, or invited by Ford to drive them, who knows if they are truly competitive. Who knows if they are durable? If replacement parts are as available as the orders themselves, good luck with a failure. Even Ford can’t tell you how long you’ll be waiting for 1. 1-2 months like industry standard or 1-2 years?
Sponsored

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
It is a real, overpriced, limited production vehicle at this point, it is far from real competition to the wrangler. Until they can produce and deliver even half the orders placed 6 months ago you’d be a fool to buy one. What is the lead time when something does fail? How much mark up are you going to throw away? If you place an order now, it still looks like you may end up in a 2023 model year. Pretending they are available and them actually being readily available like their competitors are 2 very different things. Until there are real world examples by people not paid by, affiliated with, or invited by Ford to drive them, who knows if they are truly competitive. Who knows if they are durable? If replacement parts are as available as the orders themselves, good luck with a failure. Even Ford can’t tell you how long you’ll be waiting for 1. 1-2 months like industry standard or 1-2 years?
Woof

displayname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Unless you have kids. 2dr Wrangler forces you to choose between bringing people and bringing stuff. I’d never be able to drive it to our cabin up north, meaning I’d never get to use it in the places I really want to (the woods) because with people in the back seat there’s no room for a weekends’ worth of stuff for four in the trunk, sadly.
Most people have that same dilemma. I loved my 2 door explorer sport, but it had a lot more cargo space and it was just me and my pup at the time. Now with my wife and 2 dogs, a 2dr wrangler would be out of the question unless we're towing it behind an RV.

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
Most people have that same dilemma. I loved my 2 door explorer sport, but it had a lot more cargo space and it was just me and my pup at the time. Now with my wife and 2 dogs, a 2dr wrangler would be out of the question unless we're towing it behind an RV.
Yea, that's the part that keeps getting me. Case in point, my family is heading off on vacation next week where we usually do some oversanding. It's "just" me, my wife, and my daughter, but then my sister likes to come along, and my brother we usually pick up on the way, and everyone has their stuff and... yea, a 2-door would never, ever cut it. And that would be a huge bummer that would cancel out any cool points or whatever from owning a 2-door.

I still really want to go back to a 2-door one day, but in the meantime it's just not worth it if it can't bring the people (and their stuff lol) along that make trips memorable.

JLBoucher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2DR Willys 6MT
This seems odd. I had my vin within a couple of days and my Rubicon was built and delivered n 3 weeks.
I feel like a broken record since i've already explained it about 50 times on the forum. But Canada doesn't get its orders as quickly as USA. Not even close.

Sponsored

Ridgway Jeeper

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Occupation
Real Estate Agent
Yea, that's the part that keeps getting me. Case in point, my family is heading off on vacation next week where we usually do some oversanding. It's "just" me, my wife, and my daughter, but then my sister likes to come along, and my brother we usually pick up on the way, and everyone has their stuff and... yea, a 2-door would never, ever cut it. And that would be a huge bummer that would cancel out any cool points or whatever from owning a 2-door.

I still really want to go back to a 2-door one day, but in the meantime it's just not worth it if it can't bring the people (and their stuff lol) along that make trips memorable.
Your sister and brother could buy 2 doors as well, then you could caravan :)

JLBoucher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2DR Willys 6MT
A lot of younger people are like this. They don’t make as much as many think. There are many more degreed people in their 20s-30s than there were when I was that age. Competition for just decent paying jobs is tough. Many aren’t working in their degree fields and many are working hourly wage jobs.

It’s kind of impressive to see how many are restrained with their spending. It makes it tough for car manufacturers to market to the younger demagraphic, as they don’t have the same percent of expendable income as those a generation earlier did. Look how many of us here are in our 40s-60s, that’s pretty telling. Not to mention that these things are pretty damn expensive, new or used.
That's true for a lot of things. I have the privilege and the immense luck of being a doctor, which means I have a pretty comfortable living standard. But most of my friends can't even think of buying a house at the moment, let alone buying a new car.

Car manufacturers generally just tapped out from the younger demographic. When we have money, we spend and invest on experiences, on travels, on discovering the world. I'm one of the rare cases of spending a shit ton on cars, simply because I have a mental illness for them. Most of my friends just grab the first used car that shows up within what they are willing to pay and that's about it.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
That's true for a lot of things. I have the privilege and the immense luck of being a doctor, which means I have a pretty comfortable living standard. But most of my friends can't even think of buying a house at the moment, let alone buying a new car.

Car manufacturers generally just tapped out from the younger demographic. When we have money, we spend and invest on experiences, on travels, on discovering the world. I'm one of the rare cases of spending a shit ton on cars, simply because I have a mental illness for them. Most of my friends just grab the first used car that shows up within what they are willing to pay and that's about it.
I get that, but experiences only have so much value. It seems that those who are living that way spend way to much time documenting via posts on social media than actually living in the minute. I took a trip to Iceland a couple of years ago and many of the young people were way too busy posing to enjoy and appreciate where they actually were. I guess they can revisit it later on their Instagram page. I ban't understand going into debt for a tourist trip. Much less all of the clothes they bought at REI. I was there in a cowboy hat and jeans.

Last edited:

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
4 door everything has been the trend for years now. We love the 2 door package. The rear seat is already out and stored away leaving plenty of room if we need to haul some stuff with. I just ordered an extended cab pick-up because all I really need is some inside dry space for my snowmobile gear, I will almost never have passengers back there. I see just the driver in 4-door Jeeps and trucks way more often that I see the seats filled. I suppose people buy the capacity just in case and of course many times because it is all the rage whether they need it or not.

I would only have considered the 2-door Bronco as well. My kids are grown and everybody likes to drive themselves anymore in my business so the more compact dimensions of vehicles just big enough for my needs are way more appealing, plus they cost less.
I think most Americans drive their vehicles alone more than loaded with people. That's just the nature of daily life. Most of us don't work with our spouse or neighbor so we drive to and from work alone. My wife daily drives our jlur to and from work alone. If that was the only reason we bought it of course a 2 door would work. On the other hand, it's much easier to pack a weeks worth of camping gear, recovery gear, and tools with the extra space even when it's just the 2 of us. On the occasion our 20 year old son wants to go out wheeling or target shooting with us, he's got room in the back seat (at 6'4" he would need a shoehorn in a 2 door) and we can fit the guns, ammo, targets in the back. What the 2 door gains in maneuverability and turning radius it quickly loses on very steep terrain, especially off camber stuff. The 4 door is much more stable on obstacles like the wall on poughkeepsie, the numerous massive ledges on metal masher and cliff hanger, etc. I've watch numerous buddies flop their 2 doors on line that my old xj barely lifted a tire and our jlu crawled right up planted. Coming down black bear Saturday the 2 door in front of us actually required 2 more 3 point turns than I did, but that's more driver skill and/or willingness to put a tire right on the edge coming down. The only 2 door I'd ever consider owning is an LJ as they are the perfect balance of size, maneuverability, space, and breakover angle in my opinion. To each their own, but arguing you don't need a 4 door because most of the time you don't need it is like arguing you don't need a bed as it sits empty 2/3 of the time. It's better to have and not need than need and not have.

Sponsored

Ridgway Jeeper

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Occupation
Real Estate Agent
I think most Americans drive their vehicles alone more than loaded with people. That's just the nature of daily life. Most of us don't work with our spouse or neighbor so we drive to and from work alone. My wife daily drives our jlur to and from work alone. If that was the only reason we bought it of course a 2 door would work. On the other hand, it's much easier to pack a weeks worth of camping gear, recovery gear, and tools with the extra space even when it's just the 2 of us. On the occasion our 20 year old son wants to go out wheeling or target shooting with us, he's got room in the back seat (at 6'4" he would need a shoehorn in a 2 door) and we can fit the guns, ammo, targets in the back. What the 2 door gains in maneuverability and turning radius it quickly loses on very steep terrain, especially off camber stuff. The 4 door is much more stable on obstacles like the wall on poughkeepsie, the numerous massive ledges on metal masher and cliff hanger, etc. I've watch numerous buddies flop their 2 doors on line that my old xj barely lifted a tire and our jlu crawled right up planted. Coming down black bear Saturday the 2 door in front of us actually required 2 more 3 point turns than I did, but that's more driver skill and/or willingness to put a tire right on the edge coming down. The only 2 door I'd ever consider owning is an LJ as they are the perfect balance of size, maneuverability, space, and breakover angle in my opinion. To each their own, but arguing you don't need a 4 door because most of the time you don't need it is like arguing you don't need a bed as it sits empty 2/3 of the time. It's better to have and not need than need and not have.
Seems like you are the one arguing or trying to justify... My comment states I prefer the smaller version for my use. Glad you like yours. That "bed" analogy was pretty funny, maybe try a size difference, like King or Queen rather than all or none. It was never a choice of all or none, just of which version. Sorry that clearly got way under your skin.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Seems like you are the one arguing or trying to justify... My comment states I prefer the smaller version for my use. Glad you like yours. That "bed" analogy was pretty funny, maybe try a size difference, like King or Queen rather than all or none. It was never a choice of all or none, just of which version. Sorry that clearly got way under your skin.
Definitely not under my skin, but the idea that the only reason for a 4 door is hauling more than 2 people is just flat wrong. There are benefits and drawbacks to both and it comes down to personal preference and use. Some prefer the maneuverability, some prefer the stability. I tend to drive fast and the 4 door definitely feels more stable both on and off road, especially at speed. Working in the Bay Area for decades and driving either a full size work truck or a 1 ton service van, I find the easier parking laughable. If you can’t park a 4 door wrangler, you just can’t drive. I’m sure the twin mattress would save a single guy some money on his mattress, but I’d gladly spend the extra money for the nights I had company. Again, better to have and not need than need and not have.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
The best way is just to get what you want, not what other people think you should have bought.

Either way, it's a Jeep and that is a good thing. It still amazes me that they exist to this day, though far different from the past, still something there that makes you recognize exactly what it is.

Last edited:

Ridgway Jeeper

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Occupation
Real Estate Agent
Definitely not under my skin, but the idea that the only reason for a 4 door is hauling more than 2 people is just flat wrong. There are benefits and drawbacks to both and it comes down to personal preference and use. Some prefer the maneuverability, some prefer the stability. I tend to drive fast and the 4 door definitely feels more stable both on and off road, especially at speed. Working in the Bay Area for decades and driving either a full size work truck or a 1 ton service van, I find the easier parking laughable. If you can’t park a 4 door wrangler, you just can’t drive. I’m sure the twin mattress would save a single guy some money on his mattress, but I’d gladly spend the extra money for the nights I had company. Again, better to have and not need than need and not have.
Wow, more crazy justifications and assumptions. You drive a Wrangler "fast", good luck with that. Where did the parking thing come from? Same place the bed analogy came from? It isn't like a 2 dr Wrangler is small anymore. Enjoy your preference.