Sponsored

Why the rumored $2500 price increase is a great deal (at least for me)

nowandthen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKUR, 1989 Toyota standard cab pickup
Rumor has it that the price increase is about $2500 per Jay in this thread http://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/source-2500-base-price-increase-for-jl-wrangler.1310/. I'm dismissing the $3500 hit just to get an engine. :)

This off-the-cuff analysis is for the Rubicon because that is what I currently own, a 2014 JKUR with manual transmission. The prices for options are from my 2014 window sticker, and my spreadsheet of items purchased in 2014. They probably have gone up since then.

I'm basing this on the options list as posted here: http://www.jlwranglerforums.com/for...er-trim-sport-sahara-rubicon.2084/#post-28469

I know some of you would rather some of these items move back to options to keep the price down, but it is what it is.

Things that come to mind, some are my preference and may not be on your list:
  1. Dual zone automatic temperature control. I paid an extra $345 for automatic temperature control in 2014, and it wasn't dual zone. Once you have this, you'll never go back, at least i won't. :)
  2. Side airbags. $495 in 2014. They are now standard.
  3. Spare tire carrier: Stronger factory spare tire carrier capable of supporting a 35" tire. I paid $600 for the Teraflex heavy duty tire carrier. I think Jeep said 35" was the limit on the stock carrier, so if you run 37's or bigger, you may still have to upgrade.
  4. Heavy duty brakes. I paid $212 for the heavy duty master cylinder and $600 for the big brake kit. I run 37's and stopping ability is very important to me. Especially after being in an accident (which is why I bought the side airbags). The JL Rubicon comes with heavy duty brakes.
  5. Rear view camera. I paid more than many people, $108 for a Pioneer unit, which still works without issue today. Rear camera is standard on all JLs.
  6. Grabars, a big help for rear passengers, for front passengers not so much. The JL now has "grab bars" on the A and B pillars. I won't price these here.
  7. Daystar hood hold downs. $23. Jeep appears to have greatly improved this with the new hood hold down design.
  8. Lift kit. I spent a lot of money on this, a long arm Rubicon Express kit. In excess of $3000 not including installation. The JL will take 35's stock. Of course if I run 37's I may have to invest in some kind of lift.
  9. Procal to re-calibrate the speedometer. $169. The JL will compensate for tire size. Not clear if it will compensate for tires larger than 35's.
  10. Rear seat "recline kit". $60. The rear seat on the JL has more backward tilt than on the JK.
  11. Smart door stops, front and rear. $240. The JL now has door detents albeit, one less detent than on the Smart door stops.
  12. Inflation. Prices go up, it's a fact of life. Can't blame FCA for price increases when cost of living and materials are always going to rise. But considering the list above, I think they did a great job.
The above items add up to $5744 excluding labor to install the lift, brake kit. I installed the other aftermarket items.

There are other improvements:
  1. Rear seat heat A/C vents, cost something.
  2. A nicer hood (subjective) but it likely costs a bit more than the standard hood.
  3. Improved engine (talking Pentastar).
  4. Not counting 8 speed automatic, because that is an option.
  5. Start stop technology. I know some of you hate this. But it is in there and it costs FCA money.
  6. Remote keyless entry.
  7. Telescoping steering wheel.
  8. Universal garage door opener.
  9. Uconnect radio V4C Nav with 8.4" display. The upgraded radio was an option in the 2014 Rubicon. However the options list I referenced above also lists the 5" radio as standard, and the 7" as "package". I'm thinking the 8.4 is an option, not standard.
The aftermarket is going to take a hit in some areas. My JL build will save me a lot of money, more than the rumored $2500 increase.

What else am I missing that is now standard on a JL Rubicon that wasn't available or was extra on a JK Rubicon?
Sponsored

AZCrawl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite Jeep JLUR
You don't need a sport cage with the new front window design. I will also delay aftermarket bumpers until I wear out the steel bumper group, which may be never.

I compared the specs of the MOPAR big brake kit and it is very comparable to the Teraflex kit I was planning on getting, which runs $1200.

Last edited:

JayV

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2015 Ford Expedition EL 4x4
Stop making so much sense. The Force is strong with the trolls today. Complaints about option combinations you can't order in 3...2...1...

Farmdawg

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Frontier
He has a point...

JLWF Dealer Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps
Occupation
Jeep Dealer / Singer of Sentimental Ballads
@nowandthen , well put. I mentioned since 2014 the same Wrangler has increased $1000 per year. I’m with you on the improvements. The aftermarket may indeed take a hit as most of the improvemts, as you stated, and are things that many Wrangler owners did on their own. Not to mention, all of these improvements, accessories, in the end do not increase the vehicle value if you are trading it in. You just end up eating that out of pocket expense. And don’t get that investment back. Dilly Dilly!

Sponsored

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
One more thing - If I bought a '18 JKU Sport S I would have paid for the LED Lighting group. But since it isn't offered on the JLU I will save that money!

So there is that.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
Although you’re not including the 8-speed, the 6spd MT is also improved.

Improved tops, soft top is better, hard top is lighter (HT optional perhaps, but still worth noting for those for whom it is not an option but a requirement).

Updated axles.
Sponsored