Not open for further replies.

Pape

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
The. 3.0 can do 70 mph and get 24 mpg enough said?

far better than 2.0 or 3.6

Also makes 4xe look stupid unless you drive less than 19 miles a day.
Feeling like making a statement today, good on you :)
At the end of the day each their own, as long as it a Wrangler :like:

DWS44

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toy Box: 2022 JLUR 392 + '17 C7 GS & '21 C8 Vettes
Occupation
CAD/IT Manager (Civil/Airport Design)

Sponsored

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

3.0 EcoDiesel is definitely the best of all the worlds. Best horsepower, torque and MPG all at the same time. Other engine options only have some of those, but not all of them like the EcoDiesel has.
I love my EcoDiesel, but I'm calling bullshit.

The EcoDiesel has, by a wide margin, the worst horsepower of the three, right? And it's not even in the same ballpark as the 392 or the 4xe.

It's also got the least torque, but it's at least close. Hell, we can't even make it to 5,252 RPM where horsepower and torque intersect.

HorsepowerTorque
EcoDiesel260442
4xe375470

Yep, it's got the best fuel economy. If I wanted to brag about that I guess I'd own a Prius.

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Horse Power is only 1/4 of the actual power. 3.0 is far more efficient and powerful
I agree that the EcoDiesel is more efficient. And it has better low end torque. That's where it shines.

It is not, however, "more powerful".

AC77

First Name
AC Abegian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Jeep Wrangler diesel Sahara Altitude , 94 MKIV
Occupation
Autobody , singer-songwriter
Love my diesel
With the minimal upgrades I’m still at 23-27 mpg And keep head to head with the 392’s. No big deal
Air intake
Large Intercooler piping
Banks tuner

on level 6. Boost is at 34lbs.
and it haulsssss asss if I want it to do so

rest of the time. It’s a nice cruise and plenty of everything

driventoadventure

First Name
Lrr
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Employed Gainfully
Clubs

Because it has a shitload more horsepower? And without a turbo, so no turbo lag?
To me, the lack of forced induction and most of my off-roading being crawling in places that are much higher elevation - enough to notice the lack of power - is one of the biggest downsides to the 392 vs the 3.0. The inconsistent variable pedal response that comes from the adjustable curves (I forget what Jeep calls it) on all of the Jeeps including the 392 is way worse than the turbo lag on them...

Sponsored

driventoadventure

First Name
Lrr
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Employed Gainfully
Clubs

I agree that the EcoDiesel is more efficient. And it has better low end torque. That's where it shines.

It is not, however, "more powerful".
Jeep Wrangler JL Why the 3.0 is better than the 392 1700924868146

With Horsepower being Torque over time, and the Diesel having more torque but less "time" (much slower revs) the diesel is technically more powerful, just slower...

As you can see from the above power charts, the only reason the 392 is "more powerful" is because it is only about 1/2 way through it's power curve when the diesel is coming off its power curve. The diesel is also dramatically reduced by the torque limiting that was placed on it - due to whatever reasons they did (I suspect the under-performing oil cooler is at least part?).

driventoadventure

First Name
Lrr
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Employed Gainfully
Clubs

All I know is that engine has cost FCA/Stellantis over $1B in recalls, repairs, buyouts, fines and legal fees since it introduced the EcoDiesel in 2014, plus several more million in customer goodwill.

I looked into getting an EcoDiesel at various points in time. I’d love to get 28 MPG without the complexity of 4Xe. But the EcoDiesel’s steep price and stormy track record kept me at bay.

Last time I checked, Stellantis was looking to unload VM Motori, the Fiat subsidiary that engineered and built the engine. Haven’t heard of it found any takers or not.
The really sad part is the reasons for the recalls are either self-inflicted or caused by Bosch's chep-ing out on their fuel pump. I don't feel bad for them on the recalls, but your damn right about the reason that they're pulling out of the small diesel segment.

Not sure about them trying to unload VM Motori, since they're still a highly regarded and well respected manufacturer outside of the North American automotive segment.

driventoadventure

First Name
Lrr
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Employed Gainfully
Clubs

4xe is the worst! Right? Come on man drive from Com Colorado to New York. Will be far more expensive than my 3.0.

2.0 with all that other weight going to be hard to beat the 3.0.
I've been in several 4xe's for a while and they're actually tremendous fun. The acceleration and kick that supplemental electric motor gives them is astonishing even when the hamster wheel is off. How quiet they are on full EV mode is why I really look forward to a BEV wrangler for taking out in the woods.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.