Sponsored

Why so much hate for angry eyes grilles?

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
I love my angry grille. As soon as I saw it I knew I had to have it. People say my Jeep matches my personality, and I think that’s awesome to have a vehicle like me. Why the hate for these grilles?
The " Angry grille" mirrors your personality, sad for you, but a good visual to avoid you at all costs.
Projecting Anger Management issues so clearly should be lauded, as a warning " infantile person on Board "
Sponsored

JayCeeX2

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sport S, 2014 4Runner Limited
First time I saw the angry eyes grill I thought it looked pretty cool. At least on the Jeeps I had seen them on. I even thought I'd like to do that if I ever had a Jeep. However during my search and research to purchase a Jeep I learned how iconic the Jeep grill is, that they even removed the Jeep badge from the JL grill, I decided then, no angry eyes for me. I prefer the Jeep grill.

Benw711

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Jeep Wrangler Willys Sport
I hate the angry eye grill because everyone does it now thinking it's original and a "mod". It takes away from the iconic 7 slot grill and the Jeeps that have them will never leave the pavement.

Baconator

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Wrangler
There's a few reasons...
1. 7 slot grill is iconic, so Jeep People are into the historic relevance and pedigree of the vehicle
2. It's just waaaaaay to common - I'd say 1/3 of modded jeeps around here have one
3. It's like adding Punisher decals, skulls, etc. - I see a 30-50 year old man trying to signal how hard he is. It's just sad.
4. It's a tentpole of the culture at this point. It brings us all together to rag on things. Angry eye grills are one for Wranglers. So are huge chome rims and low profile tires, and/or snorkels on a High Altitude Sahara.

If they didn't exist widely and someone made a custom one, it would be kind of cool.

Sponsored

Spartan99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JKUX
If you don’t understand why angry grills and grumpers are stupid, you shouldn’t be driving a Wrangler. Get yourself a Renegade.

flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Door JL Sport, former '80 CJ-5 and '99 TJ
Vehicle Showcase
Ugh....I promised that I wouldn't chime in on this useless conversation, but I just couldn't help myself. First and foremost, it is your Jeep, you paid for it, and your name is on the title, so you can do whatever you want with it. As a long-time CJ, TJ, and now JL owner, I only mod my Jeeps for my family's use case...nothing more, nothing less. Even then, the apparent bone-stock configuration still attracts hate and discontent from some, so you just can't win either way. I think the old adage applies: "Since you can't please everyone, just please yourself." In the end, it's your vehicle, so who the hell are we to judge?

HOWEVER...since you asked for our opinion...I frankly think the angry grill looks like something Joe Dirt would have installed if he had a Jeep instead of a 1969 Dodge Charger. The first time my wife and I saw one of these, is when we took our old CJ-5 to Ocean City Jeep Week, and we just thought the angry grill was a joke. We laughed pretty hard...not just because the grill looked silly, but because the 50-year-old boy who owned it seriously thought it was an amazing "upgrade" (his words), along with all his other offroad mods that clearly had never been off road...what a waste. I could list a string of adjectives here to express my low opinion of the grill, but I think many others have already done that (and then some). Again, though...do whatever makes you happy (or angry?). No ill will or hate here...I'll still give you a Jeep wave when we pass each other, but I can see why others might not choose to do so. Best of luck, and enjoy.

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
I don’t care for them, but I’ll still give ya a wave. Who am I to tell you how to spend your money?

As long as you don’t try to squat a Jeep, I think we can all be friends 🤗.
I still wave and keep my opinion to myself, well, outside of this thread anyway.

Reseg

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Do what you want, but why stop at angry grill when you can upgrade to clown grill which seems to serve the same purpose of being scary...

Jeep Wrangler JL Why so much hate for angry eyes grilles? clown-jee

bigbaozi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
Do what you want, but why stop at angry grill when you can upgrade to clown grill which seems to serve the same purpose of being scary...

Jeep Wrangler JL Why so much hate for angry eyes grilles? clown-jee
Oh man, where do I get those headlights???

Sponsored

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
IMHO - angry grills look hideous and I don’t understand why anyone would want to ruin the iconic look of their Jeep. That said, if OP likes the look he should go for it. That said, save the original grill for when he sells the Jeep.

pnut

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler 392 XR
Ugh....I promised that I wouldn't chime in on this useless conversation, but I just couldn't help myself. First and foremost, it is your Jeep, you paid for it, and your name is on the title, so you can do whatever you want with it. As a long-time CJ, TJ, and now JL owner, I only mod my Jeeps for my family's use case...nothing more, nothing less. Even then, the apparent bone-stock configuration still attracts hate and discontent from some, so you just can't win either way. I think the old adage applies: "Since you can't please everyone, just please yourself." In the end, it's your vehicle, so who the hell are we to judge?

HOWEVER...since you asked for our opinion...I frankly think the angry grill looks like something Joe Dirt would have installed if he had a Jeep instead of a 1969 Dodge Charger. The first time my wife and I saw one of these, is when we took our old CJ-5 to Ocean City Jeep Week, and we just thought the angry grill was a joke. We laughed pretty hard...not just because the grill looked silly, but because the 50-year-old boy who owned it seriously thought it was an amazing "upgrade" (his words), along with all his other offroad mods that clearly had never been off road...what a waste. I could list a string of adjectives here to express my low opinion of the grill, but I think many others have already done that (and then some). Again, though...do whatever makes you happy (or angry?). No ill will or hate here...I'll still give you a Jeep wave when we pass each other, but I can see why others might not choose to do so. Best of luck, and enjoy.
Totally agree with everything said except one thing:

If no one wants to take their Jeep off road, or they don't like it dirty (I've been chastised for not driving mine in the salty winter) is a personal choice. Just because you bought a Jeep doesn't require you to take it offroad. Just as I'm sure others would see my Daughters 90's 4runner not being overlanded, who cares. Your vehicle, your choice.

PS - my wife's Jeep never leaves pavement. It is a non boring family vehicle which is a great alternative to the slew of boring SUV's out there.

jrocker

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 2dr
In my opinion, the Jeep Wrangler is a frivolous vehicle. So, I find it laughable when someone does a cosmetic modification and the Jeep Police SWAT comes screaming in with toy guns firing insults and name calling because the modification doesn’t fall under the statute of “functional”, or heaven forbid it actually defaces the legendary profile of such a sacred vehicle.

My wife wanted an angry grill for MY Jeep. I told her to go buy her own Jeep if she wanted an angry grill. I also told her not to sell her old car, because she would need it to drive home from WalMart, where her Jeep (and angry grill) would have to park.

No anger, or hatred, here. Just a fat old guy's (with an OEM angry face) opinion.

I also reserve the right to make fun of the grill. I likely won’t make fun of you. But, the grill…

Feed that Jeep some mud, it looks hangry.

flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Door JL Sport, former '80 CJ-5 and '99 TJ
Vehicle Showcase
Totally agree with everything said except one thing:

If no one wants to take their Jeep off road, or they don't like it dirty (I've been chastised for not driving mine in the salty winter) is a personal choice. Just because you bought a Jeep doesn't require you to take it offroad. Just as I'm sure others would see my Daughters 90's 4runner not being overlanded, who cares. Your vehicle, your choice.

PS - my wife's Jeep never leaves pavement. It is a non boring family vehicle which is a great alternative to the slew of boring SUV's out there.
Matt...as stated in my post, I'm not chastising anyone for not taking their Jeep offroad. See "...his other offroad mods that clearly had never been off road." I'm only stating that a Jeep bristling with skid plates, brush guards, stingers, body armor, gear racks, roll cages, on-board air, lockers, pioneer tools, Hi-Lift jack, etc. that is never used for its intended purpose is arguably a ridiculous waste of time and money. Some would go so far as to call them "posers," but if that's what the owner wants to do, then so be it....it's his/her Jeep at the end of the day. Like your wife's Jeep, my family has also owned several Jeeps and trucks that never left pavement, so I totally understand. Glaring difference, is that your wife's Jeep (like mine) probably wasn't unnecessarily outfitted for the zombie apocalypse....and that's OK. Bottom line, is that all our Jeeps are different, and that's what makes our community so cool and fun!

pnut

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler 392 XR
Matt...as stated in my post, I'm not chastising anyone for not taking their Jeep offroad. See "...his other offroad mods that clearly had never been off road." I'm only stating that a Jeep bristling with skid plates, brush guards, stingers, body armor, gear racks, roll cages, on-board air, lockers, pioneer tools, Hi-Lift jack, etc. that is never used for its intended purpose is arguably a ridiculous waste of time and money. Some would go so far as to call them "posers," but if that's what the owner wants to do, then so be it....it's his/her Jeep at the end of the day. Like your wife's Jeep, my family has also owned several Jeeps and trucks that never left pavement, so I totally understand. Glaring difference, is that your wife's Jeep (like mine) probably wasn't unnecessarily outfitted for the zombie apocalypse....and that's OK./ Bottom line, is that all our Jeeps are different, and that's what makes our community so cool and fun!
Understand. All good.
Sponsored