Sponsored

Why so much hate for angry eyes grilles?

jimim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon, 2017 Tahoe LTZ
I agree with the above. The grill is iconic and the angry face on it looks childish to me.

But if you look at automotive design headlights in general have been getting more aggressive in the last decade or so, so it isn't that surprising. The new Defender basically comes with angry eyes stock.

Nd9GcTNdyaZ-soGfglY2Pl22tiqIibojUIOkjUKuw&usqp=CAU.jpg
I want to like it. But I just canā€™t. I saw a 2 door today it was better than the 4 door but I just canā€™t get into them. I just keep thinking of the original and I just shake my head. I was behind one also today. I never noticed low much the top look like it was put in a vice grip and squeezed vs the bottom half of the truck.
Sponsored

sentience

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Lexus GX, 2021 JLU Sahara 4xe
Occupation
bureaucrat@gov
Why the hate? because it's iconic. It is literally used as an alternative logo.

Jeep Wrangler JL Why so much hate for angry eyes grilles? 1623200537242

It's the same reason square headlights only lasted one generation, and why the Jeep wave doesn't extend to Samurais, (newer) FJs, Broncos, and Hummers - or even other "Jeeps". It's a part of Jeep's identity, and reminds us of what these things were originally built to do:

Go Anywhere.

(and kick Jerry's butt.)

JeepU4IA

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Dodge Charger R/T, 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
Funny thread. Just about everyone who wrote "It's your Jeep, do what you like" went on to say how ugly angry grills are.... :CWL: .....and they are.

I don't care if it's your Jeep. I can appreciate just about any mod but don't mess with the iconic grill; the rest of us have to look at it.

Black Jeep Convertible

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Sport S 2.0T eTorque
Occupation
Amazon Influencer šŸ˜‚
I love my angry grille. As soon as I saw it I knew I had to have it. People say my Jeep matches my personality, and I think thatā€™s awesome to have a vehicle like me. Why the hate for these grilles?
I felt the exact same way until I discovered flags for grille.
Jeep Wrangler JL Why so much hate for angry eyes grilles? IMG_4196

Looks so much cooler repping this amazing country than looking mad.

Sponsored

CJTJJK-JLNOW

First Name
Fernando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR ^2
Iā€™m the go to guy in the family and our extended circle for adding mods in my garage. I flat out refused to put those eyes on my sister in laws Jeep and she thought I was jokingā€¦ I wasnā€™t. Lol

Poordad

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Acura TSX, 2015 Chrysler 300s, 2023 JLUR
I want to like it. But I just canā€™t. I saw a 2 door today it was better than the 4 door but I just canā€™t get into them. I just keep thinking of the original and I just shake my head. I was behind one also today. I never noticed low much the top look like it was put in a vice grip and squeezed vs the bottom half of the truck.
I still regret selling my 95 D90 back in 97.

blessidsoul12

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 billet silver JLUR, 2019 chevy suburban
I think they just look hideous and stupid and dumb. Buuut... that is coming from someone who has a custom decal'd JL with a name, so...

But seriously, the people I have known personally who have put angry grilles on their jeeps also seem to actually know nothing about their Jeep, or the Jeep brand, or off-roading. There are mall crawlers created simply by the nature of some people's lives- maybe they can't afford to break shit all the time off-roading, and their JL is their DD. Why shouldn't they be able to still mod out their jeep and make it look badass- something they get up in the middle of the night to go look at in the garage (if fortunate enough to have a garage)? They can still be very knowledgeable about their rig and be passionate about Jeep and the community.
What bothers me is it seems angry grill mods are synonymous with the group of Jeep owners who just know nothing about them. And these people folks have no interest in being a part of the wrangler community.
One person I know who drives a heavily-modded PURPLE JK and has an angry grill replied to me when I asked what trim his JK was, "What is my what?"
I said, "your JK."
He said, "my what?"
I said, "your wrangler!"
He said, "my what? Oh my Jeep?"
I said, "yeah your JK."
He said, "my what?"

mchastings

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Sport S 2Dr / 2015 Rubicon JKU/2020 Willys JLU Diesel
Occupation
Working to pay my Taxes
I just plain old hate it.
Lucky, only 30 minutes from Glamis! I have to drive from SD to get out to the Cargo Muchachos almost every weekend, except during this hot trend. Same Color Jeep, its a Willys Diesel. Oh yea, back on point, I like every mod I see on a jeep pert near, I think back to the pioneers of jeeping after WW II, they had no after market support, everything was home grown some good some bad but all for a better product. Celebrate those angry eyes!

Sponsored

Odyssey USA

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
Iā€™m the go to guy in the family and our extended circle for adding mods in my garage. I flat out refused to put those eyes on my sister in laws Jeep and she thought I was jokingā€¦ I wasnā€™t. Lol
:clap:

Doubledwire

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
I love my angry grille. As soon as I saw it I knew I had to have it. People say my Jeep matches my personality, and I think thatā€™s awesome to have a vehicle like me. Why the hate for these grilles?
I personally don't hate them. I think a Jeep owner should add any mods that make them happy. Thats one of the coolest things about Jeeps. I really like the JL grill, and think the design is perfect, so I don't want to cover it up. Its the signature seven slats, and there's just something about it. One mod that I think is goofy, is a big stinger on the bumper. But again, to each their own.

DHW

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Occupation
Attorney
People that carry all their ā€œoverlandingā€ crap on their rig ALL THE TIME
Hey, I'll have you know I nap in my rooftop tent on my lunch break. Of course, that's outside in the visitor's parking because I can't fit in any parking decks anymore.

Mikeoso

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.iowaparrotrescue.org
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500, Jeep
Occupation
Retired history teacher
While we're on the subject....thinking your jeep looks "badass" or, even worse, makes YOU badass, is massively silly. It's like thinking your bass guitar or your wristwatch are badass. Being badass is entirely in capability. Need more height to get sonewhere? Fine. Anything else is just playing dress-up. Right up there with big tires and lifts so it'll look "aggressive". AGGRESSIVE? What, you gonna drive over my foot in the mall parking lot? Crush your neighbor's trash can?

cptchunk

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I donā€™t care for them, but Iā€™ll still give ya a wave. Who am I to tell you how to spend your money?

As long as you donā€™t try to squat a Jeep, I think we can all be friends šŸ¤—.
Sponsored