Sponsored

Why so much hate for angry eyes grilles?

SoCal

First Name
MARK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, 981 Porsche Cayman S, BMW F32, Lexus is250
I don't hate them, they just have 2012 JK mall crawler written all over them, that's all....but who cares what I or anyone else thinks, if you like it, who gives a fuk what others think

they are right up there with spinners in played out car accessories imo tho
Sponsored

Buckster

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 billet silver JLUR '16 Grand Cherokee Overland
Occupation
Power Generation
Vehicle Showcase
Let me tell you something, I absolutely LOVE doing the jeep wave. I look forward to it so much, and it's one of my favorite things about the jeep community. however, absolutely nothing hurts me more than seeing the top of a jeep, getting excited and getting ready to wave, and i get closer and i see the god awful abomination of an angry birds grill. Every time this happens, I die a little inside.
I want to like this statement a hundred times.

I don't mind the mall crawlers, but I do not understand the angry grille anymore than I understand the Carolina squat or the poke and camber shizz. It's like somebody said "that looks really stupid" and somebody else said "I need attention so Ima gonna do it".

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
I love my angry grille. As soon as I saw it I knew I had to have it. People say my Jeep matches my personality, and I think that’s awesome to have a vehicle like me. Why the hate for these grilles?
I personally think that it’s YOUR Jeep and you can do whatever you want with it. if you like the Angry grille thingie, put it on. Paint your jeep purple and gold, add 24” rims, raise it, lower it, put in a $40 subwoofer and TV. Whatever. While I may not like the look, it’s your Jeep, do what you like.

I really find it silly that folks get really opinionated/passionate about what someone else does right down to name calling, etc. we have had posts on this forum where members have stopped in a random parking lot to take a picture of someone else’s Jeep for the sole purpose of posting the image of the mods here in order to denigrate the owner. Really? To me, Life is too short for that silliness.

your jeep causes me no fuss or bother. Do as you wish.

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I don't like them, can't stand them, but that's me. The Jeep grille IS iconic. Can you imagine how the Germans would've reacted to seeing a Willys MB coming ashore at Normandy??

Jeep Wrangler JL Why so much hate for angry eyes grilles? download
+
Jeep Wrangler JL Why so much hate for angry eyes grilles? images
=

Sponsored

RFR JLR 2.0

First Name
Rudy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JLU Rubicon 3.6L
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Geologist
It's all about human evolution. Our brains can perceive anything that remotely looks like a face and make a face out of it. We can even assign emotion to it if the "eyes" are simply inclined in a certain direction. Our ancestors didn't have to worry about angry grills on jeeps. They had to worry about angry lions and tigers eating them. But, it's your jeep....

Gunfighter

First Name
P.J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler High Altitude
Occupation
Trying not to get warning points
Vehicle Showcase
Instead of the Jeep "wave" with the oncoming Jeeps with the factory grill are we supposed to give the Jeep "bird" when the angry grill Jeep approaches?

KSwilly

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willys in Hellayella
Vehicle Showcase
A similar thing I ran up against at the Jamboree - had so many people talk to me about $2000 lifts and $3k locker upgrades and $$$ for bigger tires and axles and drive shafts like it was no big deal, but then lost their $*** over my Bestop Sunrider for Hardtop being “expensive.”

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White 2dr JL Rubicon 3.6
If you want a tougher looking grill why not go with the 2 piece sahara/rubicon style, or get the satin black Mopar grill or paint yours black? That's my thinking - the angry grill is cheap china garbage in my eyes, and it devalues the look and the intention of the rig. The Wrangler is such a classic, iconic vehicle and the seven slot grill is an integral part of that. There are so many other vehicles to pick from if you want that angry look, but the wrangler just looks wrong. It's like putting a wide body kit and rear wing on a Prius.

All my subjective opinion, but I'd say this is what the majority of the jeep community leans towards based on what I've seen over the years on the groups, forums, and meets.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
Angry grill
Grumper
Hi lift across the hood
Hi lift mounted next to the driver door
Rotopax gas cans
“overlanding”
People that carry all their “overlanding” crap on their rig ALL THE TIME
6 sets of cube lights and 4 light bars
Naming jeeps
Painting trim pieces “accent colors”
20” wheels (unless a beach cruiser)
Giant banners across the windshield representing your jeep club that has 200,000 members
“Roll cages”
I think you're on to something here...

A lot of these modifications are typically done to make the Jeep look tough, but not actually improve durability or usability at all.

It's like the guys that drive around town with their D-rings in all the time, clanking anytime they hit a bump. Yes we can all see how tough your Jeep is, but do you really think that 20 pounds of D-rings are going to be needed on your daily commute?

Sponsored

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
I don't like them, can't stand them, but that's me. The Jeep grille IS iconic. Can you imagine how the Germans would've reacted to seeing a Willys MB coming ashore at Normandy??

+
=
It has come full circle. The civilian angry grill jeeps are influencing the defense contractors. Someone at Oshkosh owns a JK with an angry grill...

Jeep Wrangler JL Why so much hate for angry eyes grilles? 4C3C3CD5-2B42-4A4B-9995-1BBA6688DBD7

Btw, although the JLTV is stupid and not what we need to replace the HMMWV, I do admit I wouldn’t want one of these chasing me through the desert unless I was on my tank.

Mikeoso

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.iowaparrotrescue.org
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500, Jeep
Occupation
Retired history teacher
Since you asked..I dont hate them. I do think they look silly. A vehicle is macinery, and gains nothing from being altered to look like a cartoon character. It doesnt reflect a persons personality, and a person doesnt gain any personality from their vehicle, no matter how they modify it.

NullNomad

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I get the hate, I get the love. I wouldn't rock one myself, but then again last time I checked I bought my rig for me. Not for the judgement of others. Now if someone wants to make my payments, they're more than welcome to tell me what to do to my jeep.

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara