Sponsored

Why so much hate for angry eyes grilles?

631_Islander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon with 8 speed and 3.6L Pentastar without eTorque
I love my angry grille. As soon as I saw it I knew I had to have it. People say my Jeep matches my personality, and I think that’s awesome to have a vehicle like me. Why the hate for these grilles?
Because I think they look ugly?

dpike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLUR 3.6
there's a couple "angry grills" that aren't too bad... there's also a few variants that are just completely horrible too tho.

if its your thing rock it and love it.

Alex01

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Wrangler, 2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
I'm a firm believer that the only place an angry eye grill belongs is a trash can. Along with anything fab fours produces.

I think it makes the jeep look like a cartoon character and covers the most iconic jeep feature.

But, your jeep your choice.

micahpop

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I agree with the above. The grill is iconic and the angry face on it looks childish to me.

But if you look at automotive design headlights in general have been getting more aggressive in the last decade or so, so it isn't that surprising. The new Defender basically comes with angry eyes stock.

Nd9GcTNdyaZ-soGfglY2Pl22tiqIibojUIOkjUKuw&usqp=CAU.jpg

Those don't look that angry to me... maybe a bit of consternation there but not anger.

Sponsored

TxJeepers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Stupid grill in whole world. Jeeps aren't supposed to be angry.

FiveBoro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLR
I agree with the above. The grill is iconic and the angry face on it looks childish to me.

But if you look at automotive design headlights in general have been getting more aggressive in the last decade or so, so it isn't that surprising. The new Defender basically comes with angry eyes stock.

Nd9GcTNdyaZ-soGfglY2Pl22tiqIibojUIOkjUKuw&usqp=CAU.jpg

The Defender looks angry and constipated

PocketsEmptied

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 JKUR, '21 JLUR
If you like it, own it! Just don't expect many other (jeep owners at least) to look upon it fondly. There was a time where it was new and kinda funny but that time has looong passed.

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
Angry grill
Grumper
Hi lift across the hood
Hi lift mounted next to the driver door
Rotopax gas cans
“overlanding”
People that carry all their “overlanding” crap on their rig ALL THE TIME
6 sets of cube lights and 4 light bars
Naming jeeps
Painting trim pieces “accent colors”
20” wheels (unless a beach cruiser)
Giant banners across the windshield representing your jeep club that has 200,000 members
“Roll cages”
All crap I find stupid.
BUT, it’s your Jeep, do what you want with it.
If I can get a pass on carrying Rotopax while on the Magruder Corridor and southeast of the Wind River Range (BLM land), I’m good to go. lol

Last edited:

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
No idea why the hate. End of the day those that hate do plenty to their Jeeps that I would think is ugly. I don’t have an angry grill and I don’t care for them. HOWEVER I have total respect for those that do. That is the one thing I like about Jeep is all the millions of customizing combinations one can do. I just think lately and over the years folks have become way more opinionated and if something isn’t the way they like it then it must be wrong. You do you. Rock the grill if you like.
Also for all you haters, stay out of KY because we have LOTS of custom grills.
I can second that last sentence.

Sponsored

Bren

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Granite Crystal Rubicon 4XE
I love my angry grille. As soon as I saw it I knew I had to have it. People say my Jeep matches my personality, and I think that’s awesome to have a vehicle like me. Why the hate for these grilles?
For me it sort of represents a paradox. By putting on an angry grille, the driver is sort of admitting the Jeep has a “face”. Which is kind of a silly concept, in the same way as the fake eyelashes. This goes an extra step though, knowing that it’s a face the driver chooses for it to be angry. So it’s both silly, and angry? Those things feel like they’re at odds.

Also, Jeeps to me just aren’t an angry vehicle. They’re all about good vibes. How can you be angry with the top down and doors off? It’s a mood lifter. A beach dweller. A weekend toy that begs to play and doesn’t like to be driven angry. So in that way, it doesn’t really fit the spirit of the vehicle, in my opinion. Maybe I’ll concede the 392, because it makes an angry noise.

I also think the angry vehicle thing has been done to death. Every car on the road is angry. I’m getting sneared at by minivans. Why? Why have we chosen meanness as the default expression on most vehicles? I’m not angry. The Jeep doesn’t have an angry face out of the factory, and I sort of appreciate that.

Lastly, I think the angry faces that are out there could be implemented better. The big solid brow just doesn’t look that good to me, from a pure design perspective. I’ve yet to see an angry face that looks well integrated with the overall design of the vehicle.

But if you’re happy with it, that’s all that counts! All of this is subjective. Drive and let drive.

ScenicRoute

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Occupation
Beer Finisher
living in lexington ky i agree with the above. i tend not to see them in the gorge, or in the mountain trails out east. at least as often, anyway.

FiveBoro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLR
The angry grill just seems like any other "Pep Boys" mod to me, like those stick on vents people put on Buicks or any other piece of useless shit you see on cars. Hell I even frown upon most aftermarket wheels on Jeeps. I don't have Kryptex camo on all my shooting gear and every bag I own isn't covered in MOLLE. But do I HATE this stuff? No way! The world would be a pretty boring place if I designed it all.

Sparty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(Sold) 04 TJ, 21 JTR, 21 JLR
Lastly, I think the angry faces that are out there could be implemented better. The big solid brow just doesn’t look that good to me, from a pure design perspective. I’ve yet to see an angry face that looks well integrated with the overall design of the vehicle.
Jeep Wrangler JL Why so much hate for angry eyes grilles? 1623177475960

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
living in lexington ky i agree with the above. i tend not to see them in the gorge, or in the mountain trails out east. at least as often, anyway.
I’m debating going to that side of the state for off road trips so I might not see. Kentucky is mostly mud and forest floor with dead leaves and sticks etc to either side of the path.
Sponsored