Sponsored

Why so much hate for angry eyes grilles?

MorningStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
I love my angry grille. As soon as I saw it I knew I had to have it. People say my Jeep matches my personality, and I think that’s awesome to have a vehicle like me. Why the hate for these grilles?
Sponsored

Sparty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(Sold) 04 TJ, 21 JTR, 21 JLR
I love my angry grille. As soon as I saw it I knew I had to have it. People say my Jeep matches my personality, and I think that’s awesome to have a vehicle like me. Why the hate for these grilles?
I think this has been beat to death already

....and the answer is that it's because it's the dumbest thing put on the front of a vehicle since the introduction of headlight eyelashes.

To me, it instantly indicates the intelligence level of the driver.

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

I think most of the hate comes from the fact that so much of the Jeep "brand" is centered on the grill, so messing with the grill seems....anti-Jeep. Just my observation.

That, and the Grumper grill seems to [typically] be just a visible part of Jeep builds that are just....ridiculous. So it's become a symbol, if you will, for all of the modding abominations out there.

Personally, I find the Grumper much less visually offensive than what I call "Rock Humpers" - Jeeps that have all the fenders stripped out, 40-inch wheels on a 6-inch lift with a hi-jack across the hood and 2-3 body panels (usually doors) that look like they were made at home in someone's garage. Usually also several pieces don't match the overall color of the Jeep, etc. And enough lights on the thing to put Clark Griswold to shame.

It's your car, though, not theirs. Do whatever makes you happy, man. Unless they're paying the bill (or hold the title) then who cares what others think?

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
Personally it reminds me of the movie Cars and then I wonder “If they like that, why don’t they have happy faces too?” Is that not tough enough? It IS like eyelashes but why stop there, they could also have mustache bumpers. I think things like that are just cheesy.

There, I’ve said what I’ve thought a long time. It’s great to let it out. lol

Last edited:

Sponsored

Glamisfan

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting-Gray JLUR
I just plain old hate it.

OP
OP
MorningStar

MorningStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
I think this has been beat to death already

....and the answer is that it's because it's the dumbest thing put on the front of a vehicle since the introduction of headlight eyelashes.

To me, it instantly indicates the intelligence level of the driver.
Thank you! I will remove mine immediately!

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Sport, 2022 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Comptroller
In my limited anecdotal experience, the angry grill is accompanied by other choices I find to be a waste of money and material or are questionable decisions. That makes it the focal point of ridicule.
BUT, those are my opinions. They could just as easily wonder why I don’t just drive a pickup and haul a buggy. I’m modding and heavily using/abusing a 2 year old vehicle that is still under warranty. My bumper and rims are quite scratched up already and I’m only at 6000 miles. Pinstripes on the paint too.

pangmaster

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR
Occupation
Enterprise architect
Vehicle Showcase
I don't believe these grills really existed before the JK, though I could be wrong. At least they weren't as prevalent as they are now. I don't remember ever seeing one on a TJ or older. The JK grill is in my opinion the worst looking Jeep grill ever made. Even square headlight YJs are way better. The JK grill is too round, the slots are weird, and it kind of looks like a silly robot face, esp when combined with the stock front bumper. So angry bird eyes, and Vader or grumper grills were invented to make JKs look less corny for some tastes, I suppose. IDK... Doesn't JK stand for just kidding? So why not take that further? ;)

But I agree, the grill is a huge part of what makes a Jeep unique, so messing with it is sacrilege to many. But do what you want. It's your Jeep!

Sponsored

somedude922

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, Previous: 1984 CJ7, 1979 CJ7
Angry grill
Grumper
Hi lift across the hood
Hi lift mounted next to the driver door
Rotopax gas cans
“overlanding”
People that carry all their “overlanding” crap on their rig ALL THE TIME
6 sets of cube lights and 4 light bars
Naming jeeps
Painting trim pieces “accent colors”
20” wheels (unless a beach cruiser)
Giant banners across the windshield representing your jeep club that has 200,000 members
“Roll cages”
All crap I find stupid.
BUT, it’s your Jeep, do what you want with it.

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
No idea why the hate. End of the day those that hate do plenty to their Jeeps that I would think is ugly. I don’t have an angry grill and I don’t care for them. HOWEVER I have total respect for those that do. That is the one thing I like about Jeep is all the millions of customizing combinations one can do. I just think lately and over the years folks have become way more opinionated and if something isn’t the way they like it then it must be wrong. You do you. Rock the grill if you like.
Also for all you haters, stay out of KY because we have LOTS of custom grills.

BamaJeepTruck

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
My personal thought is it is purely cosmetic, non functional, and sense I think its ugly it serves me no purpose. Ugly being 100% subjective if it isn't ugly to you then its the same as any other cosmetic mod. The value is 100% in the person using it.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
I agree with the above. The grill is iconic and the angry face on it looks childish to me.

But if you look at automotive design headlights in general have been getting more aggressive in the last decade or so, so it isn't that surprising. The new Defender basically comes with angry eyes stock.

Nd9GcTNdyaZ-soGfglY2Pl22tiqIibojUIOkjUKuw&usqp=CAU.jpg
Sponsored