Sponsored

Why so much hate for angry eyes grilles?

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
Couldn't find anything in his recent post history, but who knows. Not to speak ill of the dead, but tbh I won't miss the mytop shilling and the weird spycam-fisheye vids.

Back OT, I don't have strong feelings one way or another on the grumper look - it's not for me, but that's the beauty of a free country. Frankly, I'd like to get one of those old school Gladiator grilles, but I don't think they're being mass produced in any way - only seen them on the show cars and that quadratec contest Gladdy. OR a YJ style. Idc what anyone says, as a Jeep and Jurassic Park lover, the square headlights will always hold a special place in my heart.
Preach. Iā€™d get a YJ grill no hesitation.

but a YJ grill does not turn the jeep front end into a face. So i donā€™t think it is the same thing.
Sponsored

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLR 2.0

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
I think you have this backwards... Wouldn't fragile masculinity be the purchasers of the angry grills? I mean, they need to signal to the world how tough they are, right?
Yes. You are spot on correct. I've seen some hulking assholes who are "always angry" trying to be tough get fucking dropped by the small, quiet guys. And it's fucking hilarious.
Also:
https://jalopnik.com/these-grilles-make-your-jeep-look-stupid-not-tough-1823937335

Bingo. I can't put it any better.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link

Sponsored

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code

sentience

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Lexus GX, 2021 JLU Sahara 4xe
Occupation
bureaucrat@gov
Yes. You are spot on correct. I've seen some hulking assholes who are "always angry" trying to be tough get fucking dropped by the small, quiet guys. And it's fucking hilarious.
Also:
https://jalopnik.com/these-grilles-make-your-jeep-look-stupid-not-tough-1823937335

Bingo. I can't put it any better.
Funny thing is, itā€™s no longer just Jeep owners doing this. Car manufacturers themselves have been designing angry grilles for several years now. German newsgroup DW (link in English) does a good job explaining it:

Sponsored

Packnbeer

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 2-Door
i say if you like it, use it. Its personal preference. I have never worried about what others think or believe. If i like it thats all that matters to me. There are lots of things with jeeps that are not necessary but everyone likes what they like. If you like it... own it and be happy. I personally think the jeep wave stickers on the mirrors looks stupid but to each their own. I will say that you can only quit caring what others think after you quit asking. If you like it, who the hell cares what others think

ObiMatt87

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara JLU, 2018 Buick Enclave Avenir
Occupation
U.S. Air Force Active Duty (Retired), U.S. Air Force GS Civilian (Current)
All the observations here are a) hilarious and b) spot-on. In summary, each Jeep owner can do what he/she wants to in order to individualize their vehicle, which is, in my opinion, one of the most awesomest parts of being a member of this community.

That said, my personal take is that the angry grille look takes away from the iconic Jeep grille look, imparts a negative image that is representative of the owner, and in general just looks kind of dumb. That opinion is purely subjective, and if you have one of those grilles, go for it. I don't have to like the look, but I respect your choice to make your ride represent YOU. Me? I'll stick with the old fogy/fogey/fogie (you spell it) more conservative look! Yeah, baby! :LOL:

DV LAWYER

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
I agree with the above. The grill is iconic and the angry face on it looks childish to me.

But if you look at automotive design headlights in general have been getting more aggressive in the last decade or so, so it isn't that surprising. The new Defender basically comes with angry eyes stock.

Jeep Wrangler JL Why so much hate for angry eyes grilles? wxf6ws8bsuw2p4vwagpi
Holy crap it does! Now I cannot un-see it....