Sponsored

Why so much hate for angry eyes grilles?

Wbino

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL H.A. -- 1999 SLK 230
Occupation
Retired
Surprised it hasn't been said so I'll add what my take is from discussing such things with my local jeep group.
The "iconic" grill that has been mentioned is the root of it... but it is more about the mall crawler thing. There is a hate or distaste for mall crawlers in the jeep community among the serious offroaders. And the angry grill signifies the mall crawler and Fab Fours jeeps where people do modifications to their jeep just in order to do mods; the mods don't improve the function and often actually hurt performance. This is where the hate come from, it is a distaste for different goals.

In short it is an attitude that plagues the jeep community where the guys who do harder offroading look down upon those who don't. The wrangler wouldn't be around if it was only the hardcore guys who bought jeeps, let alone the excellent aftermarket. The mall crawlers and casual offroaders buy the wrangler because it is a cool vehicle and they may want to feel good about what their purchase says about them or want to do harder stuff (even if they don't do it). But the percentage of jeep owners who actually need the wranglers capabilities for what they put their jeep through is a lot smaller than the people who buy them because they're cool and could do what they do with a vehicle that is a lot nicer to drive on pavement and better built (like a 4runner). But I'm glad so many people like wranglers because it makes it what it is.

I personally don't have a problem with mall crawlers, but it is not a look I like. And as hard as I try, I cannot help but look down on those jeeps and owners. I try to not to, but I can't help it. My interest in getting to know or wheel with that owner is not that of one that looks purposefully built. It doesn't mean I wouldn't be friendly or friends with them. But if there was a group of people where I didn't know many of them, my priorities in making sure I connected with people would be on the jeep owners who look like they go offroading.
I would bet that angry grill is more likely one of your serious off roaders.
Most of us mall crawlers have another vehicle to look stupid in. šŸ§
Sponsored

Z&KOJL

First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
My wife and I always say ā€œwhy is that Jeep so angry?ā€ When we see them.
My Jeep makes me happy, I like to think that it too is always happy.
But, like most have said, itā€™s your Jeep do what you want to it. To each their own.

Ratiogear

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon
To me, jeep as a subculture already looks down on jeeps that don't see the trails. The hate on the angry eyes is the one focal point that has a lot of overlap between a lot of different groups, because they serve no actual purpose beyond making your jeep look stupid (or at least the 'majority' seems to think so) but are way more expensive than a decal or paint job and way more common as well. For these reasons, they serve as the emblem of mall crawlers everywhere for the hardcore trails crowd to attack that everyone else is cool with because they do look stupid.

There's a lot of people against mall crawlers because jeep isn't a 'logical' choice for someone who doesn't want to take it offroading. And there's some sense to it in that jeeps are a pretty expensive "car" if you're buying one to have a car and not a jeep. The jeep's price comes from its offroad-ability, and its potential for customization and modding for even better offroad-ability.

If you're just going to drive it around town like a soccer mom, that's what other suvs and crossovers are for, and for the same price as where a jeep starts, you can get a shitty crossover or minivan with a lot of 'luxury' features the jeep won't have.

But mostly, people look down on the "mall crawlers" and "pavement princesses" because they feel that it damages a lot of the reputation or association they value the jeep for having. Plenty of jeep owners value the jeep for its off roading capability and never feel so at home as they do on the trails. But there are plenty more who attach a portion of their identity to the jeep subculture. This can mean they playfully rib the mall crawlers to outright insult and exclude. Don't see a lot of that, but it's definitely out there. It's the same people who you see spewing vitriol and hate over the "ducking" jeeps movement because "they touched my car" or "trash for me to throw away" or some other fkin nonsense excuse.

Egos and masculinity so fragile that a duck on their jeep leads to threats of violence. They see mall crawling and pavement princessing as an attack on their culture and they've attached too much value and too much of their identity to the perceived ruggedness and manliness of the jeep brand.

I think there's a lot of that (unfortunate) group that want to gatekeep the jeep brand and there's overlap with the hate the 4xe sees for being a hybrid and the people who chime in to say they won't wave to renegades or patriots because they "aren't real jeeps."

I think they lead the "movement" on hating angry eyes, and I think no one else really likes angry eyes enough to speak up for them beyond "different strokes for different folks, do what you want but I think they're awful."

Anyways, thanks for coming to my TED talk.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLR 2.0
To me, jeep as a subculture already looks down on jeeps that don't see the trails. The hate on the angry eyes is the one focal point that has a lot of overlap between a lot of different groups, because they serve no actual purpose beyond making your jeep look stupid (or at least the 'majority' seems to think so) but are way more expensive than a decal or paint job and way more common as well. For these reasons, they serve as the emblem of mall crawlers everywhere for the hardcore trails crowd to attack that everyone else is cool with because they do look stupid.

There's a lot of people against mall crawlers because jeep isn't a 'logical' choice for someone who doesn't want to take it offroading. And there's some sense to it in that jeeps are a pretty expensive "car" if you're buying one to have a car and not a jeep. The jeep's price comes from its offroad-ability, and its potential for customization and modding for even better offroad-ability.

If you're just going to drive it around town like a soccer mom, that's what other suvs and crossovers are for, and for the same price as where a jeep starts, you can get a shitty crossover or minivan with a lot of 'luxury' features the jeep won't have.

But mostly, people look down on the "mall crawlers" and "pavement princesses" because they feel that it damages a lot of the reputation or association they value the jeep for having. Plenty of jeep owners value the jeep for its off roading capability and never feel so at home as they do on the trails. But there are plenty more who attach a portion of their identity to the jeep subculture. This can mean they playfully rib the mall crawlers to outright insult and exclude. Don't see a lot of that, but it's definitely out there. It's the same people who you see spewing vitriol and hate over the "ducking" jeeps movement because "they touched my car" or "trash for me to throw away" or some other fkin nonsense excuse.

Egos and masculinity so fragile that a duck on their jeep leads to threats of violence. They see mall crawling and pavement princessing as an attack on their culture and they've attached too much value and too much of their identity to the perceived ruggedness and manliness of the jeep brand.

I think there's a lot of that (unfortunate) group that want to gatekeep the jeep brand and there's overlap with the hate the 4xe sees for being a hybrid and the people who chime in to say they won't wave to renegades or patriots because they "aren't real jeeps."

I think they lead the "movement" on hating angry eyes, and I think no one else really likes angry eyes enough to speak up for them beyond "different strokes for different folks, do what you want but I think they're awful."

Anyways, thanks for coming to my TED talk.
I think you have this backwards... Wouldn't fragile masculinity be the purchasers of the angry grills? I mean, they need to signal to the world how tough they are, right?

Sponsored

Ratiogear

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon
I think you have this backwards... Wouldn't fragile masculinity be the purchasers of the angry grills? I mean, they need to signal to the world how tough they are, right?
I think that there are definitely some who might purchase the angry grille to display their toughness, for sure. Same thing as the hummers and small penises joke.

But also, as others have stated, that grille looks pretty goofy and there are some who buy it because it's 'funny' rather than trying to make their jeep look tough or aggressive.

But I also think that getting upset by someone else having an angry grille is more emblematic of fragile masculinity than paying money to have your car look cool/tough/angry/funny/silly/how you like it.

The angry grille doesn't hurt anyone. It brings enjoyment to whoever bought it, presumably. Therefore, I say go for it if you want.

It's interesting how many people are all about personal freedom and what not but that line gets drawn at angry grilles apparently.

BuyHold

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Dr Rubi, '23 JTM
Also, some people saying that angry grills aren't part of Jeep heritage. I found an archival picture of a Willys in Germany circa 1945 with an angry grill. Angry Jeep grills conjure up ideals of the greatest generation. No?

Jeep Wrangler JL Why so much hate for angry eyes grilles? Screen Shot 2021-06-09 at 3.20.28 PM

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLR 2.0
Also, some people saying that angry grills aren't part of Jeep heritage. I found an archival picture of a Willys in Germany circa 1945 with an angry grill. Angry Jeep grills conjure up ideals of the greatest generation. No?

Jeep Wrangler JL Why so much hate for angry eyes grilles? Screen Shot 2021-06-09 at 3.20.28 PM
1-35-kubelwagen-type-82-wwii.jpg

14586937.jpg

Buckster

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 billet silver JLUR '16 Grand Cherokee Overland
Occupation
Power Generation
Vehicle Showcase
I think that there are definitely some who might purchase the angry grille to display their toughness, for sure. Same thing as the hummers and small penises joke.

But also, as others have stated, that grille looks pretty goofy and there are some who buy it because it's 'funny' rather than trying to make their jeep look tough or aggressive.

But I also think that getting upset by someone else having an angry grille is more emblematic of fragile masculinity than paying money to have your car look cool/tough/angry/funny/silly/how you like it.

The angry grille doesn't hurt anyone. It brings enjoyment to whoever bought it, presumably. Therefore, I say go for it if you want.

It's interesting how many people are all about personal freedom and what not but that line gets drawn at angry grilles apparently.
Haha, fragile masculinity? Whatever. Iā€™m not upset, I just think they are stupid as shit.

Sponsored

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
Pretty sure the OP was just trollin, but I still enjoy a good angry grill bash thread.

by the way... RIP Black Jeep Convertible. When did he get banned? Wtf happened? He was always respectful... if a bit of a blatant shill for mytop or whatever that convertible top was called

JeezAJeep

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Baja..2019 BMW X2
I like it...why? Because I can...its your Jeep

pablo_max3045

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Engineering project manager
Unless someone else payed for your Jeep, pretty sure they don't get a say in what you want to do to it.
I'll take looking at a goofy (to me) angry bird mask worn by the Jeep AND the driver all day over hearing a yobbo drive down the street with his pimped out fart can exhaust pipe and stereo pushing 1000 dB.

ChrisTheGod

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yamaha r6, Infiniti q60s conv, 2021 HYDRO RUBI
Angry grill
Grumper
Hi lift across the hood
Hi lift mounted next to the driver door
Rotopax gas cans
ā€œoverlandingā€
People that carry all their ā€œoverlandingā€ crap on their rig ALL THE TIME
6 sets of cube lights and 4 light bars
Naming jeeps
Painting trim pieces ā€œaccent colorsā€
20ā€ wheels (unless a beach cruiser)
Giant banners across the windshield representing your jeep club that has 200,000 members
ā€œRoll cagesā€
All crap I find stupid.
BUT, itā€™s your Jeep, do what you want with it.
Soooooo where should I put my hi lift I truly thought it belonged on the hood lol then whatā€™s those holders for then? Holy shit itā€™s for when we put the windshield down only huh

JP29

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Sport
by the way... RIP Black Jeep Convertible. When did he get banned? Wtf happened? He was always respectful... if a bit of a blatant shill for mytop or whatever that convertible top was called
Couldn't find anything in his recent post history, but who knows. Not to speak ill of the dead, but tbh I won't miss the mytop shilling and the weird spycam-fisheye vids.

Back OT, I don't have strong feelings one way or another on the grumper look - it's not for me, but that's the beauty of a free country. Frankly, I'd like to get one of those old school Gladiator grilles, but I don't think they're being mass produced in any way - only seen them on the show cars and that quadratec contest Gladdy. OR a YJ style. Idc what anyone says, as a Jeep and Jurassic Park lover, the square headlights will always hold a special place in my heart.
Sponsored