Sponsored

Why Rubicon instead of Sport S when upgrading tires?

shacdaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Sting-Gray
Well my rebuttal to this is a Maybe. (Again, keeping with the theme of the OP)

If you ACTUALLY take it off road and use the stuff, sure! But if you mall crawl, you did nothing more than waste the money on something you'll never use if you indeed bought it for "the electronic sway bar", blah blah, etc.

I'm not hating on the Rubicon whatsoever. An amazing vehicle but again I'm following the theme of the OP original question.

No need to get all defensive lol
Oh I'm not defensive at all, just making sure everyone is on the same sheet of music. And you contradict the OP's original question with your statement here. He's asking why get the Rubi if people just remove all the asthetic stuff anyway (bigger tires/wheels, etc.). Here, you're arguing that if it's just a mall crawler, why get the Rubi? That's not was he is asking...at all. Of course the Sahara/Sport are better options (price-wise) for mall crawling.
Sponsored

GordonZoo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram ED
Occupation
Most Everything
We bought our Rubicon to be able to go thru moderate trails without worrying about hiccups. So far the 33" is a nice compromise as a commuter and a fun weekend wooded trail rider. So far it's perfect right off the lot. Any bigger tire and it would be taxing on the highway. We have more nature trails in the north east than rock. If I find the need to go bigger I easily can. BTW, The Rubicon's stance as-is, looks KILLER. Some of us don't feel the need to just climb rocks.

Jrbrannan

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Ocean Blue 2008 Highlander Hybrid (previously several CJ-7, YJ, TJ, JK)
Vehicle Showcase
You can't be serious lol. Then tell me EXACTLY why most rubicon owners are doing EXACTLY what the OP said. Replacing all the cheap mopar crap with better stuff.

For example, look at "lite bright" rubicon on youtube for the diff cover upgrade. When you're finished, answer me one question, HONESTLY.

Would you pay 75% more for the stock diff cover compared to what they have ordered?
It's interesting you bring up lite bright... They have put a cheap $200 lift larger tires and some rock sliders on it and they wheel the hell out of it. So for $2400 over stock they have an awesome rig. Stock gearing, stock Mopar bumpers.

Run 38's on a stock sport axles with stock gears and get back to me on how that works out for you.

Kaliks&Bones

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Billet Silver JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
For me the math ends up so close that why not just bump up to the Rubicon?

4dr Sport S with auto, ungraded infotainment, LSD, premium soft top and aux switches ends up $42k and Iā€™m going to lift it and do new wheels and tires so Iā€™ll be at $46-47k all in.

4dr Rubicon with auto and premium soft top is $46k plus just wheels and tires and sell the takeoffs and maybe Iā€™m at $48k all in.

Seems worth the extra $2k.

shacdaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Sting-Gray
For me the math ends up so close that why not just bump up to the Rubicon?

4dr Sport S with auto, ungraded infotainment, LSD, premium soft top and aux switches ends up $42k and Iā€™m going to lift it and do new wheels and tires so Iā€™ll be at $46-47k all in.

4dr Rubicon with auto and premium soft top is $46k plus just wheels and tires and sell the takeoffs and maybe Iā€™m at $48k all in.

Seems worth the extra $2k.
And you have the Dana 44s, lockers, electronic sway bar disconnect, suspension, resale value, yada yada yada.

Just buy what you want and let others buy what they want. I saw the same crap when I had a Subaru WRX STI. "Ohhh you don't go to the track so why get the STI?". Because I want it and I can. :rock:

Sponsored

Carbonalpine

First Name
Raul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜14 JKU; '22 JLUR XR
Lol. A vehicle is not an investment.
I donā€™t know any ā€œinvestmentā€ that doesnā€™t net you any gains, as stated in my post. The OP is obviously speaking relative to costs and value. I responded accordingly. And I disagree, I believe cars are investment...we invest ā€œmoneyā€ and the return is the fun we have.

jebjkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I donā€™t know any ā€œinvestmentā€ that doesnā€™t net you any gains, as stated in my post. The OP is obviously speaking relative to costs and value. I responded accordingly. And I disagree, I believe cars are investment...we invest ā€œmoneyā€ and the return is the fun we have.
I think you are stretching the definition of "investment" here.
Using your words, pretty much everything you buy is an investment.
Food: invest money, return is I get to stay alive
Clothes: invest money, return is I am not walking around naked
etc., you get the picture.

An investment requires a financial input to get [or an opportunity to maybe get] a financial return of greater value

JeepJL18

First Name
Jeep
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I will not be participating in this forum as of 8/31/2018. It's been a fun ride, but it's time to move on. Take care. - Dustin
Occupation
So If spend 50k on a vehicle, in 3 years I better get 55k for it! Got it!

.....anyways, maybe you should replace the word "invest" to "spend".

Would make a little more sense.

Carbonalpine

First Name
Raul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜14 JKU; '22 JLUR XR
I think you are stretching the definition of "investment" here.
Using your words, pretty much everything you buy is an investment.
Food: invest money, return is I get to stay alive
Clothes: invest money, return is I am not walking around naked
etc., you get the picture.

An investment requires a financial input to get [or an opportunity to maybe get] a financial return of greater value

Listen, the word investment is universally used for many years. I invest time and money into making my rig special. I donā€™t care if I lose money, the ā€œtimeā€ part of my investment is well worth it.

Carbonalpine

First Name
Raul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜14 JKU; '22 JLUR XR
So If spend 50k on a vehicle, in 3 years I better get 55k for it! Got it!

.....anyways, maybe you should replace the word "invest" to "spend".

Would make a little more sense.
You read it wrong, never did I say it would net any financial return. The time I spent enjoying said vehicle is enough compensation for my time and money invested.

Sponsored

JeepJL18

First Name
Jeep
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I will not be participating in this forum as of 8/31/2018. It's been a fun ride, but it's time to move on. Take care. - Dustin
Occupation
I donā€™t know any ā€œinvestmentā€ that doesnā€™t net you any gains, as stated in my post. The OP is obviously speaking relative to costs and value. I responded accordingly. And I disagree, I believe cars are investment...we invest ā€œmoneyā€ and the return is the fun we have.[/QUOTE
It's interesting you bring up lite bright... They have put a cheap $200 lift larger tires and some rock sliders on it and they wheel the hell out of it. So for $2400 over stock they have an awesome rig. Stock gearing, stock Mopar bumpers.

Run 38's on a stock sport axles with stock gears and get back to me on how that works out for you.
Tell me where you've taken your rubicon offroad that you honestly dont think a sport can go. YOU show me what you've done. Surely you are speaking on experience.

Dont look up some ridiculous site online and post it here to exaggerate it either.

I posted a legitimate example.

Sounds like you are more trying to convince yourself.

Carbonalpine

First Name
Raul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜14 JKU; '22 JLUR XR
We take our time helping the OP
Tell me where you've taken your rubicon offroad that you honestly dont think a sport can go. YOU show me what you've done. Surely you are speaking on experience.

Dont look up some ridiculous site online and post it here to exaggerate it either.
What are you talking about?? Never did I say anything about a Sport vs Rubicon. I simply said residuals are higher in rubicon. Enjoy your little Sport and stop trying to be a keyboard warrior.

JeepJL18

First Name
Jeep
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
We take our time helping the OP

What are you talking about?? Never did I say anything about a Sport vs Rubicon. I simply said residuals are higher in rubicon. Enjoy your little Sport and stop trying to be a keyboard warrior.
Enjoy your rubicon that you clearly bought for the hood sticker.

Over compensation?

Lol have a good evening man.

shacdaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Sting-Gray

Ahh, I knew it earlier but didn't want to have to say it. WE aren't defensive about owning/ordering a Rubi, YOU'RE defensive about not having one, so you go on the offensive when you see fit.

Run along!

@OUTDOORTREE

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU
Vehicle Showcase

I take my Rubicon where a sport wont go because of the lockers - I have had at least 4 times I was stuck until I locked front and rear - its common. You can add it to your sport later but I went rubicon for the lockers, sway bar disconnect, axel and cool hood. Keeping wheels and tires but will get 35's when tires are worn down at 45k or so.
Sponsored