Sponsored

Why Rubicon instead of Sport S when upgrading tires?

jeff72034

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 F150
Why are people paying an extra $10K for the Rubicon when they are turning right around and replacing the wheels, tires, suspenstion, gears, etc.? It's not a snarky rhetorical question...even though it sounds that was when I read it. I'm new to the Jeep concept and I'm wanting to know how to plan the right Jeep purchase for the right build. I don't know enough about the Wrangler to understand what benefits are left on the Rubicon after upgrading basically everything beneath the frame. Does it not make more sense to buy the cheaper model if you are planning a build anyway?
Sponsored

InvertedLogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JTR
Stronger axles, lockers f/r, higher fender flares for more tire on less lift, 4:1 tcase, electronically unlocking sway bar.

Just to name a few things. To get a sport outfitted with the above you're be paying north of the $10k delta and it's still not a rubicon for resale value.

JeepJL18

First Name
Jeep
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I will not be participating in this forum as of 8/31/2018. It's been a fun ride, but it's time to move on. Take care. - Dustin
Occupation
Why are people paying an extra $10K for the Rubicon when they are turning right around and replacing the wheels, tires, suspenstion, gears, etc.? It's not a snarky rhetorical question...even though it sounds that was when I read it. I'm new to the Jeep concept and I'm wanting to know how to plan the right Jeep purchase for the right build. I don't know enough about the Wrangler to understand what benefits are left on the Rubicon after upgrading basically everything beneath the frame. Does it not make more sense to buy the cheaper model if you are planning a build anyway?
Its exactly the question I asked also man. I ask it all the time! Lol

I got the S and have been slowly adding on.

JeepJL18

First Name
Jeep
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I will not be participating in this forum as of 8/31/2018. It's been a fun ride, but it's time to move on. Take care. - Dustin
Occupation

Sponsored

shacdaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Sting-Gray
Lockers and electronic sway-bar.

Jrbrannan

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Ocean Blue 2008 Highlander Hybrid (previously several CJ-7, YJ, TJ, JK)
Vehicle Showcase
Lol. A vehicle is not an investment.
He never said it was an investment. But the fact still is that you are lucky to get 50 cents on the dollar for aftermarket stuff you add but a stock Jeep is worth 75% of MSRP, so from a financial decision it would make better financial sense to buy a 45k Rubicon over a 35k sport with 10k worth of goodies on it.

I personally bought a Rubicon because my days of hardcore stuff has passed so instead I bought more rig than I plan on using because I can slap 35's on a stock Rubicon and I can go 99.9% of places I would ever want to go stock.

No worries about upgrading grarige, lockers etc. No right or wrong answer, just have to get what works best for you and your situation.

shacdaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Sting-Gray
He never said it was an investment. But the fact still is that you are lucky to get 50 cents on the dollar for aftermarket stuff you add but a stock Jeep is worth 75% of MSRP, so from a financial decision it would make better financial sense to buy a 45k Rubicon over a 35k sport with 10k worth of goodies on it.

I personally bought a Rubicon because my days of hardcore stuff has passed so instead I bought more rig than I plan on using because I can slap 35's on a stock Rubicon and I can go 99.9% of places I would ever want to go stock.

No worries about upgrading grarige, lockers etc. No right or wrong answer, just have to get what works best for you and your situation.
giphy.gif

JeepJL18

First Name
Jeep
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
HAHAHAHAH! I guess I will purchase that little bit of the Brooklyn Bridge for sale that I've been hearing about. I mean, I cant go wrong!

Stickerhead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1997 TJ on 37’s, 2017 Powerstoke Tow Pig
Vehicle Showcase
I bought a JL Rubi because....
I have a 97 TJ
Replaced axles with D44 and air lockers-Rubi stock
Replaced transfer case with a 4:1- Rubi stock
High Line Fenders-Rubi stock
Should have bought a Rubi for the extra cash. Except mine was free

Sponsored

shacdaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Sting-Gray
@JeepJL18 @jeff72034

Y'all do realize the Rubicon is a lot more than just tires and badging, right? Please say yes.

JeepJL18

First Name
Jeep
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation

You can't be serious lol. Then tell me EXACTLY why most rubicon owners are doing EXACTLY what the OP said. Replacing all the cheap mopar crap with better stuff.

For example, look at "lite bright" rubicon on youtube for the diff cover upgrade. When you're finished, answer me one question, HONESTLY.

Would you pay 75% more for the stock diff cover compared to what they have ordered?

JeepJL18

First Name
Jeep
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
@JeepJL18 @jeff72034

Y'all do realize the Rubicon is a lot more than just tires and badging, right? Please say yes.
Well my rebuttal to this is a Maybe. (Again, keeping with the theme of the OP)

If you ACTUALLY take it off road and use the stuff, sure! But if you mall crawl, you did nothing more than waste the money on something you'll never use if you indeed bought it for "the electronic sway bar", blah blah, etc.

I'm not hating on the Rubicon whatsoever. An amazing vehicle but again I'm following the theme of the OP original question.

No need to get all defensive lol

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR / 15 Harley Tri glide / 50 Dodge Rat pickup
You can't be serious lol. Then tell me EXACTLY why most rubicon owners are doing EXACTLY what the OP said. Replacing all the cheap mopar crap with better stuff.

For example, look at "lite bright" rubicon on youtube for the diff cover upgrade. When you're finished, answer me one question, HONESTLY.

Would you pay 75% more for the stock diff cover compared to what they have ordered?
So you actually know MOST rubicon owners, and know that they’re gonna upgrade stuff? You’re pretty popular. Let me introduce myself as one who will leave my Rubi 99%stock. Will do more than I’ll ever need as is.:like:

JeepJL18

First Name
Jeep
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
So you actually know MOST rubicon owners, and know that they’re gonna upgrade stuff? You’re pretty popular. Let me introduce myself as one who will leave my Rubi 99%stock. Will do more than I’ll ever need as is.:like:
You must not have read the comment I posted about.

*sigh*
Sponsored