Sponsored

Why people is so worried about tire weight?

JeepingKarla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2500
Occupation
Mothetfucker
I noticed many go crazy about tire weight between brands, why?
To me if doesn't make sense the excuse the extra weight puts more strain on our and brakes. Are you kidding? At Max there's 40 lbs difference for same size. If the brakes cannot handle the "extra” load, it means we should take them back to Jeep.
Just add a passenger and it triples the extra weight, with 4 passengers car should barely move and never be able to brake.
Sponsored

johnnymiz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Everything else (passengers, stuff, etc) is above the springs, which has a negligable effect per pound on handling and braking.
Tires and wheels are unsprung weight and have rotational mass and inertia, which has a huge effect on both for every extra pound added

Last edited:

BillyHW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
I noticed many go crazy about tire weight between brands, why?
To me if doesn't make sense the excuse the extra weight puts more strain on our and brakes. Are you kidding? At Max there's 40 lbs difference for same size. If the brakes cannot handle the "extra” load, it means we should take them back to Jeep.
Just add a passenger and it triples the extra weight, with 4 passengers car should barely move and never be able to brake.
OP, the increased rotational inertia of a heavier tire will reduce acceleration, increase braking distance, and will lower MPG in stop-and-go city traffic. The lighter the tire the better.

OP
OP

JeepingKarla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2500
Occupation
Mothetfucker
OP, the increased rotational inertia of a heavier tire will reduce acceleration, increase braking distance, and will lower MPG in stop-and-go city traffic. The lighter the tire the better.
The reason I assume most of us buying a 4x4 vehicle of high off road capacity like the new JL, is to use it also in off road use, where the need for taller, higher clearance and tougher tires is a must. If you need less weight and just city drive, get low profile tires and giant rims so you minimize the weight. Crawling rocks or driving trails at 15mph has no effect on tire weight, OR, if it does, the benefit of increased cushioning, resistance to abuse, etc will obviously overcome the weigh difference. IMO

BillyHW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
The reason I assume most of us buying a 4x4 vehicle of high off road capacity like the new JL, is to use it also in off road use, where the need for taller, higher clearance and tougher tires is a must. If you need less weight and just city drive, get low profile tires and giant rims so you minimize the weight. Crawling rocks or driving trails at 15mph has no effect on tire weight, OR, if it does, the benefit of increased cushioning, resistance to abuse, etc will obviously overcome the weigh difference. IMO
Agreed, but some of us also have to use it as a daily driver because we can't afford two vehicles. So daily driving quality is a concern when upgrading components.
Sponsored