Sponsored

Why only 33" tires on the Wrangler Rubicon 392?

SolarWizard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nacho3lJT
Occupation
Owner @ Solar Co
^ is there a confirmation of A refresh? If so I’ll wait and see what happens.
Sponsored

StingGrayRhino

First Name
Eliez
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sahara
The 33's are a "fuck you" from Jeep to us. Not ONE person will keep those stock tires on this car. Not to mention the thin 7.5" rims. Either match the tires to the lift or put on $25 tires so we don't feel bad tossing them in the dumpster. Selling these are gonna be a hassle. If I'm buying a $70k wrangler I don't want to have to deal with selling tires. JMO

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
The 33's are a "fuck you" from Jeep to us. Not ONE person will keep those stock tires on this car. Not to mention the thin 7.5" rims. Either match the tires to the lift or put on $25 tires so we don't feel bad tossing them in the dumpster. Selling these are gonna be a hassle. If I'm buying a $70k wrangler I don't want to have to deal with selling tires. JMO
They would never put the tires on it that I would want. These will be easy to sell. Not that big of a deal.

Sponsored

pnut

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler 392 XR
i had heard not until next (MY) year, along with the model refresh. But they will be offered.

if none of the other components change, it would seem hard for them to deny a warranty claim if you did the swap yourself, but they could
If I knew 35s were coming for 2022 I would cancel my order and wait a year. I know jeep can do what they wish but I would feel stupid buying a 2021 with 33s for $75k as my ultimate forever Jeep only to have them release something better the very next year. What a kick in the balls that would be.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
If I knew 35s were coming for 2022 I would cancel my order and wait a year. I know jeep can do what they wish but I would feel stupid buying a 2021 with 33s for $75k as my ultimate forever Jeep only to have them release something better the very next year. What a kick in the balls that would be.
Uhh, tires aren't that expensive man. Put whatever you want on and sell the stock set. The tires from the factory are usually not that great anyways.

pnut

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler 392 XR
Uhh, tires aren't that expensive man. Put whatever you want on and sell the stock set. The tires from the factory are usually not that great anyways.
I suppose you are right, but when you factor in other things I have heard rumors about, it adds up. Video rear view mirror, 360 camera, larger screen, interior upgrades, maybe even wireless carplay, wireless charging, updated uconnect, cooled seats or some or all of the suspension pieces from the Mojave, that changes things.... I don't know anything, just paying attention to the chatter.

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
It's Jeep just doing the absolute bare minimum possible to get it acceptable for production and sale.

Lets not kid ourselves. First year 392 buyers are going to be beta testers. I don't think Jeep has a clue what kind of longevity the drivetrain will have with this engine. After a year or two of relentless warranty claims on busted axles, driveshafts, and whatever else eats shit when people send it up a rockface, we'll start seeing some sensible improvements.

Sponsored

caspring71

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RAM 1500, Dodge Challenger Scat Pack WB
If you went with 315 KO2s, you'd have actually a 34.5 inch tire that doesn't weigh much more than the 285s. Some 285s, like the Fakens, might weigh as much or more than the 315 KO2s, which are at about 64lbs. So on stock wheels, it wouldn't be a huge difference. I'm a little surprised they didn't go for that.
Will the 315 KO2s fit? The stock wheels for the 392 Rubicon are 17X7.5. KO2 specs for the LT315/70R17 say wheel size 8-11"

I'm really wanting to get larger tires (35" ish) but want to keep the stock wheels. Can you help? This is what I found on tireRack https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...dewall=Blackwall&partnum=17SR7KO2V2&tab=Sizes

Thanks in advance!

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Will the 315 KO2s fit? The stock wheels for the 392 Rubicon are 17X7.5. KO2 specs for the LT315/70R17 say wheel size 8-11"

I'm really wanting to get larger tires (35" ish) but want to keep the stock wheels. Can you help? This is what I found on tireRack https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=BFGoodrich&tireModel=All-Terrain+T/A+KO2&sidewall=Blackwall&partnum=17SR7KO2V2&tab=Sizes

Thanks in advance!
Yep. That's what I'm running. 315 KO2 on stock rims, 17x7.5. Those specs are more guidelines. I've got 45k on mine with no issues and plenty of life left. Discount Tire made no issue of putting them on for me and they balance beautifully. The spare fits fine on the tailgate, too. I'm running a Mopar lift and there is no rubbing anywhere, even at full articulation and full sterring lock in either direction. I just finished my 2nd trip to Moab in this Jeep with this setup.

The tires are outstanding, btw, in all conditions, including winter.

caspring71

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RAM 1500, Dodge Challenger Scat Pack WB
Yep. That's what I'm running. 315 KO2 on stock rims, 17x7.5. Those specs are more guidelines. I've got 45k on mine with no issues and plenty of life left. Discount Tire made no issue of putting them on for me and they balance beautifully. The spare fits fine on the tailgate, too. I'm running a Mopar lift and there is no rubbing anywhere, even at full articulation and full sterring lock in either direction. I just finished my 2nd trip to Moab in this Jeep with this setup.

The tires are outstanding, btw, in all conditions, including winter.
Thank you! Do you feel the lift was necessary? The 392 is already 1" taller than the rubicon

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you! Do you feel the lift was necessary? The 392 is already 1" taller than the rubicon
I think maybe not with the 392. I looked at one up close and swore it already had the Mopar lift. I'd try it without the lift first. If no issue, you are golden. I ran around a hundred miles or so with them before the lift. I didn't do any off-roading. I just didn't think it looked quite right, either. I'm sure it would have had rubbing. But even 1" more lift would have probably made it look good.

@StingGrayRhino 's Jeep makes me think it does indeed have the 2" lift. From his pics I'd say you'd be spot-on with the 315's. And they are lighter, too, at 64lbs each. Combined with the stock rims you will have less unsprung weight and less mass to get moving.
Sponsored