Sponsored

Why only 33" tires on the Wrangler Rubicon 392?

sanman357

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-*|||||||*- 19' Mojito! Rubicon 6-speed, 09' Ram TRX4, 67 Chevelle 300 Deluxe

Sboden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4Xe, 2.5" lift, 17" wheels, 37" tires
Many people want their own size of tire and wheel size/design on jeeps which is similar to sport cars imo. The Bronco does have the 35" package but many, imo, will get that for other parts of the package than the wheels and tires. You will so those for sale on forums pretty quickly and thus a waist of money for many. I'm fine with the 392 having 33's as I'll be like many others and switch them out quickly. It saves me some money not having bigger on there.

TowDawg

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon Unlimited, BMW 535M, Dodge Viper, Hummer H1, race cars, motorhome, general toys.
Simply a fuel economy helper, having 33x11.5 vs 35x12.5 and up.

I also think its a smarter play. After all, larger tires and less offset wheels are the first things switched out by most owners, so minimizing the initial item value getting tossed into the second hand market is nice. Less spent is less lost.

I get these points, and I'm not saying making 35's standard, but I'm surprised they aren't at least an option. I "think" there are plenty of people that would like 35's, but don't want to necessarily deal with changing them or the wheels.

Sponsored

Nomad

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
It can be one out of a million reasons.

Here are a few:
  1. FCA is so cheap it will save two cents wherever it can
  2. That’s what FCA does all the time: get us drooling with the concept only to drop the ball with the final product
  3. FCA can’t afford to pay any more CAFE fines
  4. They can’t get JLs with 37” tires to fit on trucks/rail cars
  5. Jeep plans to charge $1,000 extra for a 37” tire option
  6. OE suspension components won’t last past 5,000 miles due to constantly battling the weight of 37” tires
  7. The risk of a factory-lifted, 500HP, 6,000-lb beast on 37” tires rolling over and killing everyone onboard doesn’t make for good advertising.
Take your pick.

I’m sure there are tons more.
Don’t forget 8. So when YOU put 35s or 37s they can void your warranty.

mnjeeper

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 TJ, 2021 JLUR
That’s exactly what FCA wants. Then they can deny warranty and blame the bigger tires for snapping the axle not the 392.
That is why this set of 33s will sit in my garage.

What. 2.8 with a Wranglers 470 hp? If I had a C8, I’d bet pink slips the JL couldn’t do 3.5 with 4.10’s
It was a joke...

Wranglernator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 Wrangler (sold); 2021 Sting Gray Rubi Unlimited
Occupation
Evil Overlord
The Rubicon was not engineered to operate with 37" tires. Jeez Louise some people in here have no idea the rigmarole required to get a vehicle to pass various international regulations.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
There actually may be a good reason for it, from an engineering standpoint. I actually think it looks pretty good.

If it was just about being cheap or some silly reason like that, the JL Rubi would have come with the 32's that the JK had.

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Wonder what 0-60 is if they would have left the 4:10s.
It would have been fine, but there would be more stress on the drivetrain, which will be pretty maxed out with the power coming from that V8 through the 33's, as is.

01tj

First Name
jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous 2001 Wrangler, Kia Optima, possibly 2018 Wrangler unlimited
Fuel economy, drivetrain(axle, steering) warranty, high speed handling are my guess also:whatsgoingon:

I would say this. It will perform better in just about every situation with 33's than it would with larger tires

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I get these points, and I'm not saying making 35's standard, but I'm surprised they aren't at least an option. I "think" there are plenty of people that would like 35's, but don't want to necessarily deal with changing them or the wheels.
You're definitely right. There's a large following for 35's. And most of those are also wanting a certain amount of tire poke, which helps side stability both on and off road to offset added lift heights. To clear the varying laws of the land, the factory needs the tires tucked. 35's and 315's on stock wheels fit fine on Rubis, but easily rub on the other models. If they only offered 35's on this one model, there would be outcry from the Sport and Sahara owners, who make up the majority of sold wranglers. They'd be complaining about 35's being available on all trims of the bronco, so why not jeep. I think fca is looking to avoid that altogether. That brings me back to my previous post about how most owners switch out wheels and tires anyway.

Plus, I forgot to previously mention the elephant in the room, which is the Dana 44's under that 6.4. It would get expensive real fast, putting that kind of torque to the road with the added leverage and rotational mass of 35's and up. I see the safe card being played.