Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

8 pages so I'm probably not adding anything new, but here are my reasons for not ordering it.
  • Crazy expensive
  • I really dislike how it looks with the side windows removed but the back window still there.
  • I can't see how it wouldn't leak, at some point. The canvas rides inside the rails/frame, so water's got to go somewhere.
  • I can replace a faulty hard or soft top pretty easily. My understanding is that the SOT is pretty much there.
IMO, a hard top with the sunrider is a much better solution.

SouthernJL

First Name
Isom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Camry and 2014
I live in Atlanta and we get a lot of rain here. Hardly ever a stretch longer than 2 or 3 days where there's no rain. I have a hoist/pully system in my garage so I can get it off solo in about 20 minutes or so. Even with that ease of getting it off, it's still a pain to do when I know I will only get 24 to 48 hrs without rain. And don't forget, it takes time and effort to put it back on too. But on the days the conditions are just right and I can take the whole top off, holy crap do I think my Jeep looks f'n fantastic.

I'm not even close to being retired (work a full time job) so time is limited and wrestling with a hard top just often doesn't make it into the plans. I do have a 2nd vehicle (a beater) so sometimes if there's rain I will park the Jeep in the garage with the top off and just drive the beater until the next stretch of 0% rain conditions return. But since it is indeed a beater (2007 Camry missing a hub cap and faded paint), I sometimes cave and put the top back on to drive my Jeep because, who wants to drive a piece of crap car several days when there's a gorgeous Jeep in the garage.

Anyway, said all that to say, if and when I get my next Jeep (the JM) and they offer the SOT, I may STRONGLY consider it, if I can afford it. Do I think the SOT looks as good with the top rolled back as a topless Jeep? Nope. But would I compromise on that to be able to roll the top back almost daily instead of the 5 or 6 times a year the conditions are right to go full topless? STRONG possibility.

I think there are PLENTY of folks on here that have their own unique circumstances that opt for the SOT because it's just too troublesome to get that hardtop off. I think folks who have situations that are conducive for being topless a ton forget that everyone doesn't have it as great as they do.

Last edited:

Shark01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 392, 2005 Ford GT, 1999 Lamborghini Diablo
What other vehicles have the feature of the entire roof rolling back almost the entire length of the vehicle? I’m not aware of any others.
Agreed, at any time someone can point out all the “generic” rigs that have a power top on a 4 door vehicle that retracts over both sets of seats.

It is a great option that is very versatile and unique.

Sponsored

AlanGJP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler 4Xe Sahara GCM
I had a hard top before getting SOT. In the year I had it, I took it off once for a couple hours... then it rained. (Side note: The 2D was the primary reason I traded it in, it was just too small, even for just me and my wife.)

Look, all kidding aside. I picked up dinner last night. Wife was doing kitchen duty when I walked out the door, jumped in the Jeep, one quick push above my head and another on all four windows... I'm just shy of topless. For that 5 minute drive up the road and the 5 back... Hell I could even pop out the light-weight side windows if I'm feeling - extra-frisky...

If I had a softtop, would I bother? Probably not. Hard top? Definitely not happening. Would I wish I could? Yes, every. single. time...

That makes it worth it for me.

AlanGJP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bill, I’m glad your family loves your SOT; we do too!

Our experience has been a little different. Here is my take on the points you quoted.

1. Not quite as open as removing the top.
A slight difference. When the soft top is removed there is still a roll bar frame around the cabin.
2. Bird poop is a pain to scrub out.
I use an automated car wash and do not treat the fabric. Bird poop is totally removed by the car wash.
3. Difficult to impossible to install grab handles, sunshades, etc
I understand there are workable aftermarket products, but have no personal knowledge on this.
4. Stereo cuts out for a second on full open and initializing close.
It does this by design. The audio properties are changed purposely by the stereo when the top is fully opened, as the acoustics change.
5. Wife STILL can't trigger it to fully open on her first push.
The switch works perfectly. Sounds like an operator issue.
6. Looks a little weird, even with the side panels removed.
But what does it look like from the inside of the vehicle?
7. Rear window remains
Yes. And? Makes it far easier to access the trunk than with a soft top.
8. Cleaning Bird poop.
See #2 answer above.

I am not discounting others’ opinions on this. I am only giving my counterpoint opinions. ALL opinions are valid.
So... somehow I'd missed that you quoted me. I suppose it's only apropos I do the same. :)

However, first - I think you'll find we're both mostly in agreement with the point I was attempting to get across. I vastly prefer it to the other options and, like you, believe it's actually a convertible when SOT is installed. ;)

OP asked for reasons not to get the SOT, a difficult task to be sure. Especially for someone who loves his, as I do. But one I felt obligated to respond to, having owned both a hard top and a SOT.

That said.

1. Not quite as open as removing the top.
A slight difference. When the soft top is removed there is still a roll bar frame around the cabin.
> Yes, and the reason I opted for "not quite" to "not at all". And although, no where near as functionally superior -- aesthetically speaking, I think you'd agree that no top is vastly superior to an open SOT. Albeit, no where near as easy.

2. Bird poop is a pain to scrub out.
I use an automated car wash and do not treat the fabric. Bird poop is totally removed by the car wash.
> Fair enough. But I prefer not to run mine through for a couple reasons. My emblems are plasti-dipped (arguing the aesthetics of that choice, is for another thread ;) ), and I've seen posts in the past of antennas and blinkers being sheared off entirely. (Could be an excuse for more mods, to be sure. But I prefer to choose what and when.) Finally, I live in a fairly rural town, running it through one here is definitely not worth the gamble. ;)

I understand there are workable aftermarket products, but have no personal knowledge on this.
> If you're a contortionist, you might be able to squeeze the portion that wraps around the bar into place - but there are bolts that need to go through there - you're not going to make grab handles fit without modifications. (for example)

4. Stereo cuts out for a second on full open and initializing close.
It does this by design. The audio properties are changed purposely by the stereo when the top is fully opened, as the acoustics change.
> I was reaching with this one. While trying to think of anything I disliked or found even mildly annoying - this came to mind. Barely a blip on my radar.

5. Wife STILL can't trigger it to fully open on her first push.
The switch works perfectly. Sounds like an operator issue.
>Exactly. You noticed my subtle emphasis on "STILL". ;) She jokes about it every time. I have no insight into how she still can't trigger it. Still, somehow she manages.

6. Looks a little weird, even with the side panels removed.
But what does it look like from the inside of the vehicle?
>Not sure I follow this one. Better, yes - but I'd argue the top completely removed is aesthetically more pleasing. That said, the result isn't worth the trouble - and is the reason I went with a SOT.

7. Rear window remains
Yes. And? Makes it far easier to access the trunk than with a soft top.
> I'm not comparing SOT to a soft top. The OPs question was "why not to get", removing the top entirely (soft or hard) would be my perceived alternative to a SOT. You have a point, but I don't think it applies in this context. I'm arguing aesthetics, you're arguing functionality - I'd say neither SOT on or naked are ideal - functionally. You'd be hard pressed to keep anything light weight inside the vehicle with SOT open or while running "naked". I know, mine's spotless and somehow, somewhere a straw wrapper or some other equally light item finds a way to lift off, wrecking havoc inside my Jeep.

8. Cleaning Bird poop.
See #2 answer above.
> Touche'.

Last edited:

newbie5150

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR in Silver Zenith. Engine 3.6 Etorque.
No, I'm saying not to buy the option that is very similar to what other trucks and suvs have and to get the special thing that Jeep offers that other vehicles don't.

Save your strawman bullshit for someone else.
Kind of sensitive/angry don't ya think? Or was that too "straw man bullshit" for you?

Sponsored

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
Kind of sensitive/angry don't ya think? Or was that too "straw man bullshit" for you?
Tim, that person hasn’t responded to similar posts. A troll passing by, perhaps?

No other SUV offers a full width roof that retracts almost the full length of the vehicle. Or, you could just get one of the other roofs that Jeep offers, that the Bronco offers too.

ODDs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hella Yella Sahara
> If you're a contortionist, you might be able to squeeze the portion that wraps around the bar into place - but there are bolts that need to go through there - you're not going to make grab handles fit without modifications. (for example)
I've been running these for four years. I think a lot of us SOT owners are:
4 x Roll Bar Grab Handles Grip Handle for Jeep Wrangler

AlanGJP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've been running these for four years. I think a lot of us SOT owners are:
4 x Roll Bar Grab Handles Grip Handle for Jeep Wrangler
Unfortunately, I'm picky. I don't like the look of the plastic handles. (Stupid, I know - my Jeep though. ;) )

So I picked up a set of these:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CB8ZMPCQ

I'm going to modify them a bit so they fit. I should only need to cut out a section for the screws to pass though. Maybe melt the material around the hole a bit to prevent them from falling apart -- probably not needed for something holding all of 10-20lbs max.

ODDs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hella Yella Sahara
Unfortunately, I'm picky. I don't like the look of the plastic handles. (Stupid, I know - my Jeep though. ;) )

So I picked up a set of these:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CB8ZMPCQ

I'm going to modify them a bit so they fit. I should only need to cut out a section for the screws to pass though. Maybe melt the material around the hole a bit to prevent them from falling apart -- probably not needed for something holding all of 10-20lbs max.
Wow, nice. Those will look good.

Slumpbuster

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 4xe Rubicon
Occupation
Air Traffic Controller
I dunno, this seems plenty open for me when driving.

After dailying a TJ for 10 years, I can say the SOT is hands down the best thing Jeep has done top-wise for a long time.

Jeep Wrangler JL Why Not to Get Sky One Touch Roof? giphy (5)
Jeep Wrangler JL Why Not to Get Sky One Touch Roof? giphy (5)
I’m glad everyone loves it but it just looks wrong with the frame and back window on. Glad this option is here for people but it’s a no for me, on cost and looks.
Sponsored