Why Not to Get Sky One Touch Roof?

JeepfromBMW

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport S Billet Silver
What are the biggest disadvantages of the Sky One Touch roof? Anyone get it and regret it? How long should one of these last if parked outside? Has anyone had to have theirs replaced?
Sponsored

Bulletbill

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Last edited:

AlanGJP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler 4Xe Sahara GCM
(I have one. Had a 2D JL before this with a hard top.)

1. Not quite as open as removing the top.
2. Bird poop is a pain to scrub out.
3. Difficult to impossible to install grab handles, sunshades, etc
4. Stereo cuts out for a second on full open and initializing close.
5. Wife STILL can't trigger it to fully open on her first push.
6. Looks a little weird, even with the side panels removed.
7. Rear window remains
8. Cleaning Bird poop.

That said, it is far and away mine and my families favorite feature.

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x

8. Cleaning Bird poop.

I don’t like #2 and #8 either, Although it sometimes make me appreciate #1 more. ?
Jeep Wrangler JL Why Not to Get Sky One Touch Roof? 3B572BC8-F875-465F-997B-08F66245E23B

Last edited:

Sponsored

Bulletbill

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR

3. Difficult to impossible to install grab handles, sunshades, etc
4. Stereo cuts out for a second on full open and initializing close.
5. Wife STILL can't trigger it to fully open on her first push.
6. Looks a little weird, even with the side panels removed.
7. Rear window remains
8. Cleaning Bird poop.

I use bestop protection once a year and have not had any issues with bird poop.

https://www.bestop.com/products/bestop-protectant-for-twill-fabric/?sku=1121700

Bird poop, dirt, and dust, don’t stick or just come off with a hose, no scrubbing needed. Can’t recommend this product enough.

As a side note, I also only hand wash the jeep. I was told by a fellow owner that the chemicals in the car wash strip the soft-top / SOT tops of their protective layer and cause issues. Can be a pain in the winter time.

Wbino

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL H.A. -- 1999 SLK 230
Occupation
Retired
If you wat to avoid a year round tan do not get the SOT.?

Oh no is that rain? Click.....?

Slighty chilly on the highway? ... let me slow down to 60 and close the top.......?

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
If you wat to avoid a year round tan do not get the SOT.?

Oh no is that rain? Click.....?

Slighty chilly on the highway? ... let me slow down to 60 and close the top.......?
Everyone says you can open/close the SOT up to 60 MPH, but mine only works up to 59 MPH. Do I have an oddball SOT?? Or maybe my speedo is off??

Rodinator1234

First Name
Rod Forester
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon 3.0 Ecodiesel
If you plan on any racks or roof top tent, it's an exoskeleton for a rack. That is a down side. There is not really any other options. There are some options for cross bar racks, but then it's the issue with wind noise. We like ours a lot, we have the HotHeads head liner, it's quiet when closed, not really loud when open with the windows up, more so when down. When it's below mid 80's here it's open all the time. It makes the Jeep idk something special to me. The JK we had the hard top with the Sun Rider, that's the second best option for us I think.

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
Everyone says you can open/close the SOT up to 60 MPH, but mine only works up to 59 MPH. Do I have an oddball SOT?? Or maybe my speedo is off??
@Jeffy56, why did my post make you laugh? Even stock, my SOT only operated up to 59 MPH. I’m seriously wondering if something is “off” with mine.

Sponsored

martoaj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler Sahara 4XE
What are the biggest disadvantages of the Sky One Touch roof? Anyone get it and regret it? How long should one of these last if parked outside? Has anyone had to have theirs replaced?
The biggest disadvantage is cost, honestly. If you don't mind the $, it's an amazing top option. After driving with a hard top a few times you'll realize you won't take off the panels nearly as often as you think you will -- they're a pain to store if you have anything else in the truck, and the amount of time it takes just isn't worth it for short- or medium-length drives. Not to mention changing weather. The soft top offers the quick opening and convenience, but for me personally doesn't look great and there are legitimate issues in terms of noise and longterm reliability with the plastic rear windows.

The top is pretty durable, but as noted here it can get stained -- i have a rusty stain spot on mine from a leaky pipe in a garage, which sucks. But that would be the case on a soft top, too. Just like the soft top, proper maintenance and protection -- particularly UV protection -- is a must if you expect it to look good when parked outside for years in the sun. Also, you'll never go to a brush car wash, but you shouldn't be doing that anyway!

Complaints about noise and temperature are overblown IMO. I've experienced all 4 seasons in New England with mine, going on long road trips as well, and it's fine in both respects.

Lots of Articles on here debating pros and cons. The subject comes up every few months. Can check out one of the more recent debates.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...lectric-roof-vs-hardtop-pros-and-cons.107486/

For what it’s worth I have had mine for over two years and have zero regrets.
But also, this! This is a never-ending debate and there's frankly nothing new under the sun; it's the same stuff every time this is brought up.

yarmo

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
The only downside for me is unbearable wind noise if you run a roof rack or light bar. Otherwise it’s the same as a hard top.

martoaj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler Sahara 4XE
I don't think the 60 mph thing is a hard guarantee/limitation. I've had my SOT refuse to open or close at speeds well under 60. It definitely takes into account the wind, too, and stops operation if there's too much resistance. Mine wouldn't open driving roughly 45 mph on a windy day last week.

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
I don't think the 60 mph thing is a hard guarantee/limitation. I've had my SOT refuse to open or close at speeds well under 60. It definitely takes into account the wind, too, and stops operation if there's too much resistance. Mine wouldn't open driving roughly 45 mph on a windy day last week.
Thank you for the reply; that‘s a relief!

zaimer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4xe Sahara, Ordered '24 Rubicon 392
I would never get the SOT. I hate the idea of it being fabric (looks, reliability & maintenance of it). I would also be concerned with the additional noise/lack of insulation.
Sponsored