Sponsored

Why not have 2 sets wheels/tires? Daily drivers and off-road?

tomd

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' JL
I've read countless threads about wheels/tires. Endless talk about death wobble, traction, looks, 35, 37, mpg, etc.

Seems like a solution for much of this would be to have 1 set for daily drivers and another set for off-road.
Why is this a bad idea? Certainly there's cost for 2 sets, storage concerns, effort to convert, but these concerns seem minor in the whole picture. (regarding cost, if investing $3000 in an off road set, keeping the stock set for daily drivers vs selling for $1200 is my reference)
Sponsored

AMKRubicon610

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLUR 6 SPD
Occupation
CPA
I've read countless threads about wheels/tires. Endless talk about death wobble, traction, looks, 35, 37, mpg, etc.

Seems like a solution for much of this would be to have 1 set for daily drivers and another set for off-road.
Why is this a bad idea? Certainly there's cost for 2 sets, storage concerns, effort to convert, but these concerns seem minor in the whole picture. (regarding cost, if investing $3000 in an off road set, keeping the stock set for daily drivers vs selling for $1200 is my reference)
Nothing wrong with that, just might look a little goofy if you’re lifted. Also would have to change your tire size back and forth for your speedo calibration if that would bother you.

WreckEm711

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Sport 6 speed
A guy a street down from me does that.

I know because I see him in his garage constantly changing tires.

Cost, space the tires-not-in-use take up, time spent to swap them all out, looking disproportionate when lifted, etc would all be reasons more people don't do that.

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

It's definitely not a bad idea. Some people can't afford 2 sets of wheels and tires. Others might not have the means to swap 2 sets, yet alone store the unused set. I say if you can afford it and have an easy way to store and install both sets, go for it.

TxJeepers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Each their own. Too much for my lazy ass. Just run a set a Nitto Ridge Grapplers and call it a day.

Sponsored

swozey

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
My 38s are about 120lbs each (140? i forget). I can see having a set of snow tires but I don't drive enough nowadays to really care about the 2-3mpg loss on my 38s.. Not enough to swap em at least

oh, I only run a rear tire if its snowing or I'm going out overlanding.. Never around the city or easy road trips.

Ohio Hiker

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS Billet Silver
Occupation
Computer nerd / Retired US Air Force

I have my original Sahara set (AT) that I use in the winter. Spring/summer/autumn I have a set of Rubicon take-offs (MT) that I run.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Good point about speed calibration depending on size.
I ran the stock soccer-mom Michelins for longer road trips and put our Patagonia set for the rest of the time, for awhile. Got to be a bit much though, and just easier to deal with the quicker tread wear, worse MPG, and noise. Just got some Mickey Thompson ATZ P3s, these should be much better tires for everything vs. the Patagonias so just one set it is :)

If you do want to run 2 sets w/ different diameters a Tazer, Tazer Mini, or Tazer Lite will make it simple keep to everything calibrated (and best of all you can keep the PITA ESS disabled!).

SleepEatJeepRepeat

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 Audi Q7
Occupation
Looking at Jeep stuff all day
Vehicle Showcase
Other than storage, cost, and effort can’t think of much lol

Sponsored

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Tried it. After some flooding there was mud on the road and I got stuck with my street tires spinning in place. My mud terrains in the garage did me no good then and there. I got myself unstuck with debris. Never put on street tires again.

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

I had thought about doing that before. Expensive 37s for offroad days and 35s or 33s for DD. Its common with hipo cars. Track wheels/tires and dd wheels/tires; and they are just as expensive if not more.

MARSHMELLA

First Name
Kirt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Occupation
Military
Many have multiple sets for weather conditions, trail, summer, etc.

BUT, tires/wheels are also part of the look and design for most people so you tend to want to keep the same tires/wheels all year round.

Another problem is money. Tires/wheels can be very expensive.

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

Many have multiple sets for weather conditions, trail, summer, etc.

BUT, tires/wheels are also part of the look and design for most people so you tend to want to keep the same tires/wheels all year round.

Another problem is money. Tires/wheels can be very expensive.
yeah its expensive to have $2k+ laying around being used every now and then lol. It would make more sense if you drive your jeep a LOT (commuter). Wouldnt want to waste $1500 in MTs on commuting. Like hipo tires, the first few thousand miles are where the tire really performs. Wouldnt want to waste that on driving to work lol. Like putting in $7 a gallon race gas and then having to drive 50 miles to get to the track lol.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK

This is exactly what I do.

I have standard wheels (that came stock on my Gladiator) that I run 37" KO2's on. From a weight perspective, they're only a few pounds heavier than the factory MT's. Daily use.

I have another set of AEV Borah JL Beadlocks that I ran 40" take offs since I couldn't get tires in time for Moab. Otherwise, they'll be on 39" KM3's as soon as they're available. Wheeling use.

I don't wheel too often (once every few months), so this makes the most sense for me. The remainder usage is for camping/forest roads/etc, and the KO2's are ideal for that. It also keeps additional stress off the axles. Also, the difference between 37's and 39's isn't enough to warranty changing springs either, and then my off road tires last longer.

It's actually cheaper (as I would have bought beadlocks w/ spacers anyway), because the AT's last longer on the street before becoming too hard or noisy vs the MT's.
Sponsored