Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
I think jeeps need lockers, that's why i'm a big fan of Rubicons.
But I also want 40's that's why i want more than stock Rubicon axles.
Absolutely, lockers make a huge difference. They should offer at least a rear locker on the Sport S trim and Sahara, it wouldn't raise the price of the Jeep at all that much. The LSD they offer, although a cheap upgrade for nicer tires + stronger axle, doesn't cut it, it kinda works when the BLD kicks in, but it is just that kind of thing that you can't truly rely on.

But anyway, buying an ARB rear locker and getting it installed by a mechanic on a sport with the strong rear axle is not THAT expensive, and way better than the E locker. That's the route I am gonna take as soon as my LSD goes out of warranty, or if it becomes too much of an issue.
Sponsored

Jamrock

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki
Absolutely, lockers make a huge difference. They should offer at least a rear locker on the Sport S trim and Sahara, it wouldn't raise the price of the Jeep at all that much. The LSD they offer, although a cheap upgrade for nicer tires + stronger axle, doesn't cut it, it kinda works when the BLD kicks in, but it is just that kind of thing that you can't truly rely on.

But anyway, buying an ARB rear locker and getting it installed by a mechanic on a sport with the strong rear axle is not THAT expensive, and way better than the E locker. That's the route I am gonna take as soon as my LSD goes out of warranty, or if it becomes too much of an issue.
Brett says that the Rubicon axles can be connected to the Sport and Sahara Jeeps. He recommends this approach with lockers. His company in Texas does these kinds of modifications.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Brett says that the Rubicon axles can be connected to the Sport and Sahara Jeeps. He recommends this approach with lockers. His company in Texas does these kinds of modifications.
If you find rubi take offs sure. still an expensive solution. I am personally not interested in running anything bigger than 33s. So I intend to keep my sport axles and understand the limitations, which I am ok with since thats all I need.

The build that I have in mind for the future has a rear locker and probably a winch just in case the rear locker is not enough in certain situation.

BCalvin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys JLU, 1996 Porsche 993, 2007 Hummer H3
If you find rubi take offs sure. still an expensive solution. I am personally not interested in running anything bigger than 33s. So I intend to keep my sport axles and understand the limitations, which I am ok with since thats all I need.

The build that I have in mind for the future has a rear locker and probably a winch just in case the rear locker is not enough in certain situation.
The Rubicon new crate axles are in most cases less expensive than people are asking for their take offs.

Plug these numbers into your favorite online wholesale mopar dealers site.

HuckleMonster

First Name
Gerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 392, 2023 TRX
I’m amazed at the amount of people who buy a Rubicon because they think it is the top trim, but they have no idea what they are buying.

If you're looking for a used one, find someone who bought because of this ^^^^

Sponsored

Halfdoor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 wrangler
BLD + LSD give the Sport a signIficant traction advantage over the Rubicon anywhere when speeds outside the 4 lo range are used. If the Rubi came with lsd like the first ones, I’d be driving one again.

OP
OP
CarbonSteel

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
BLD + LSD give the Sport a signIficant traction advantage over the Rubicon anywhere when speeds outside the 4 lo range are used. If the Rubi came with lsd like the first ones, I’d be driving one again.
Except for those which are failing at 20K miles or so and the replacements are as well. I thought I read the ELD programming in Rubicon's can be changed to lock at any speed?

MacJack

First Name
-O)|||||(O-Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL 2 Door
Vehicle Showcase
I have a JLR 2018 and love it... all the extra including higher fenders so I can put 35" tires without a lift because I will not be able to put Rubi in my lower Jeep garage if it has a life.

As someone said, purchase a used 2018-19 Sport and do your add ons. It will never drive the same. I had a TJ and did all the upgrades and the vehicle bonds where not engineer to some add ons.

I should add that I have had 4 Jeeps and at 73 yo just want to add some cosmetic add-ons like lights and creature features.

Love my Rubi, and drive it daily if sunny since the hard top is off and no soft top.

OP
OP
CarbonSteel

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
I have a JLR 2018 and love it... all the extra including higher fenders so I can put 35" tires without a lift because I will not be able to put Rubi in my lower Jeep garage if it has a life.

As someone said, purchase a used 2018-19 Sport and do your add ons. It will never drive the same. I had a TJ and did all the upgrades and the vehicle bonds where not engineer to some add ons.

I should add that I have had 4 Jeeps and at 73 yo just want to add some cosmetic add-ons like lights and creature features.

Love my Rubi, and drive it daily if sunny since the hard top is off and no soft top.
Digging that color @MacJack!

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Except for those which are failing at 20K miles or so and the replacements are as well. I thought I read the ELD programming in Rubicon's can be changed to lock at any speed?
The Tazer allows the use of rear locker in 2h, front and rear in 4h, full sway kill, full traction control kill, and a host of other goodies for all trims.

Also, it should be of note that a number of members with a long history of many generations have commented that the modern BLD is very LSD-like in its function. Just no clutch material to turn the oil into lapping compound.

Sponsored

Kluk Ztopolovky

First Name
Kluk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport 2dr Sting Gray manual
Over the past year, I have seen more than one recommendation to buy a Sport (or other models) and build it out versus buying a Rubicon. Why is this? What is it that is discarded on a Rubicon and replaced that would not be on a different model?

Genuine question here...
I don't think it's always about money only but for many it is for sure a great hobby to create their own tank. Some work on their project for years and others take it to a garage and in couple of weekends after they spend 10 grand or more they are ready to hit the A&W while driving to a close by carwash.

702SaharaJL

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Bikini Blue
The Tazer allows the use of rear locker in 2h, front and rear in 4h, full sway kill, full traction control kill, and a host of other goodies for all trims.

Also, it should be of note that a number of members with a long history of many generations have commented that the modern BLD is very LSD-like in its function. Just no clutch material to turn the oil into lapping compound.
Does using the Tazer kill your Mopar warranty? If it doesn't I think I need to get one of those.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Does using the Tazer kill your Mopar warranty? If it doesn't I think I need to get one of those.
Well, that all depends on the dealer you bring it to. I won't comment on the ethics involved, but I do recommend the use of it. It helps the Jeep bypass all of its own stupid proofing. I've had the mini version plugged in, for use of the live features, for 18 months without a single hiccup. Money well spent.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Locking your differential at high speeds is very dumb. The stress that the outer wheel is going to create when turning is gonna ruin the driveshaft or whatever. Differentials are supposed to be open when driving on roads... an LSD is perfect for dynamic driving conditions in snow or dirt roads, it is much better than lockers and lockers CAN'T replace an LSD in such situations. On the same train of thought, LSD is not a replacement for lockers when offroading through obstacles at low speeds, but it helps, a lot.

All jeeps have BLD anyway and they work in 2WD at any speed.

Is there even a reason to turn on lockers outside of 4LO? I can't think of any.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation

Similar but not the same. When the LSD kicks in it will lock the differential much more than the BLD would. I've seen mine at work on trails and it essentially locks the diff, not sure if it is the LSD alone or the BLD+LSD combination that works so well.
Sponsored