Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
That would be a bad business decision on the part of FCA. Typically, a company will want to have a high end product to sell to more affluent customers. It is important to distinguish between the base product and the high end product.

Give the Rubicon additional features. Make it be a more prestigious product. Make it appeal to more affluent customers. Make better margins on it.

If you make the high end product too similar to the base product, customers will not pay a premium for it. That is just business 101.
Exactly. How many people in this thread already said they wanted the Rubicon because it was the top trim, and some of them weren't even 100% sure the difference? Take that and multiply 10-100 fold, and that's probably a better indicator of all Jeep/ Rubicon buyers, Some of us know, some are and always will be blissfully ignorant.

not really. jeep could offer custom build with just the specific rubicon parts like d44s, etc. back in the tj model, you can order a sport and specifically order parts without requiring to order a option you dont want. jeep will do well if they offered this and i'm sure members on here would go that route vs buying a rubicon with the extra options you dont want in the first place.
Bit of a different spin, but My response from this thread applies:
The group of people asking for a V8 and D60's under a Wrangler from the factory and the group of people who probably wouldn't bother utilizing them properly seems to be the same group., They're also the people who would likely complain when it's got a price tag of $80-100k. Dealers mod out Wranglers all the time and tack another $10-15k onto the price tag, and they'll always get someone who will pay it. That removes the liability from FCA and puts it on the dealer.

And if anyone has any questions as to "why hasn't Jeep done ______, it would sell like crazy":
1). No, it probably wouldn't. Keep in mind We are the Lunatic Fringe: a minority of owners who heavily mod their vehicles to do crazy stuff. We are prevalent across all enthusiast vehicle communities, however, we are still a minority.
2). Anyone who wants a good look at how "entusiast" packages like the Rubicon get developed, packaged, and sold to the rest of the company for it to be greenlit for production should really go read Jp Mag/ Four Wheeler's feature:
The Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Story - Nearly Cancelled
Wrangler Rubicon: The Jeep that Shouldn't Have Made it Through the System
(Bolded here for emphasis. Also: Read the story if you want to understand)

EDIT: Also- you can always factory order and get exactly what you want. That is exactly what I did and why I did it, especially with the discount program some dealers are running.
Sponsored

Goosed

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I get the impression that Rubicon owners are insecure.

First of all, they need for everyone to know that they are driving a Rubicon. The name has to be written in big bright letters so everyone can see it.

I do so hate to see a Porshe with the word Porshe in big letters across the side of the car. Yeah dude. We know you can afford a Porshe. We are impressed.

Secondly, they find it hard to accept that other people have different goals and tastes. Not everyone wants to go rock climbing. Some people are just happy to drive a Jeep to work during the week and to the beach on weekends.

Some people buy a Jeep because they just like how Jeeps look. They have no intention of ever getting it dirty. They just want to profile with their friends and look cool.

Some people just want a Jeep that will handle snow to asphalt to snow to asphalt easily without driver intervention.

Some people don't want to spend the extra money. Some don't even have the extra money. They had to save real hard just to afford the basic Sport that they bought.

We all know that the Rubicon is the most capable Jeep available. Some of us just don't care.
I get the impression that non rubicon owners are insecure about not being able to afford the Rubicon trim.

Jamrock

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki
I get the impression that non rubicon owners are insecure about not being able to afford the Rubicon trim.
It is not always about affordability. It is often about value. Some people cannot justify the additional expense since they will not be using the Rubicon specific features.

The late Steve Jobs knew how to market a commodity product as a high end brand product. People all over the world payed a premium for Iphones even though the other brands had similar features and cost much less.

An Iphone meant that you had class. You were a cut above the rest. You were special.

Look at the typical car ad. They talk about safety, reliability, etc. We have all seen the Subaru ads about people surviving accidents because they were driving a Subaru.

Here is a Jeep ad.

The management at FCA knows how to sell Jeeps. Despite complaints about bad steering, frequent trips to the dealer, nagging electrical issues, Jeeps are more popular than ever.

Exactly. How many people in this thread already said they wanted the Rubicon because it was the top trim, and some of them weren't even 100% sure the difference? Take that and multiply 10-100 fold, and that's probably a better indicator of all Jeep/ Rubicon buyers, Some of us know, some are and always will be blissfully ignorant.
I agree.

I love Jeeps. They are sexy. I just don't think I need to purchase the top of the line model when another model will meet my needs.

Some people need or want a Rubicon. You have my full support. Live long and prosper.

golong27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
another perspective....i never had a jeep, but just liked the idea of having an off road capable convertible. figured i would do some light off roading but nothing too extreme. since it was going to be a toy, i got a sport s knowing that i would change the wheels and tires immediately. I wanted to spend $35k even though i could afford more. almost 2 years into it and a few off-road weekends with much more capable jeeps, i wish i had spent $10k more for the rubi - it's just a better platform to build from. i may be able to get the sport to rubi level for $10k or less through aftermarket upgrades, but time is also money.

anyway, getting ready to put on rusty's off road 3" lift with adjustable LCAs, track bars, etc and an adams 1310 front drive shaft for some more clearance. realize this would be needed on a rubi too, but the lack of d44s and proper gearing is what will hold me back.

Sponsored

Jamrock

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki
I agree. You should have purchased a Rubicon.

ODDs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hella Yella Sahara
For all of you that talks about the specs. mechanical, and technical stuff about how souped up Rubicon is, let me share a non mechanical and non technical viewpoint with you.

Okay here goes. I always wanted a Jeep and I finally got a 2 doors JL in May 2019. My life has forever changed! I feel more confident. I feel like I have a purpose and I also feel like .... like i am transformed!! I am asian - so to a certain degree no matter how hard I tried, there is always this sense of modesty/inferiority/internal conflicts in my life. With my Jeep, I feel free from these traits that has been torturing me, that has been holding me back. When I am driving a Jeep. I feel like Ken. This Ken can do anything. I feel empowered. My inadequacies gone away when I am in my Jeep. It was an awesome feelings to have - even though I might be using my big Jeep to "compensate" for some thing.

Then I saw a Rubicon. I saw the wheels, and how it looks and how solid it is. Its the creme de la creme (who came up with such stupid terms anyway pffft) something more than my regular Sport S Jeep. All of a sudden my inadequacies came back. My self confidence started to waver. I feel small. Slowly but surely. Like all the temporary magical attributes that my current Jeep gave me is eroding away - slowly by this behemoth of a Rubicon I met.

I feel.... that I need more. I need something BIGGER!!! Something BETTER!!! Something that will make me feel CONFIDENT!! SOMETHING!!! BIGGER!!!! BETTER!!! MORE!!! YEAAAAAH!!!

I just got a Rubicon yesterday. And now I am feeling better. I am starting to feel like I am the master of the universe! I am in control of my life. With Rubicon I can conquer the world. With a RUBICON I can be the ME!!! THE SELF ACTUALIZED KEN!!!

*dizzy*

Whoa that was such a heady experience I need some OJ. And that my friend is what a Rubicon give you! :like:
I like your your story, it's neatly written. But you set yourself up for the next your next roller coaster by saying OJ - because the new Bronco is around the corner.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
For all of you that talks about the specs. mechanical, and technical stuff about how souped up Rubicon is, let me share a non mechanical and non technical viewpoint with you.

Okay here goes. I always wanted a Jeep and I finally got a 2 doors JL in May 2019. My life has forever changed! I feel more confident. I feel like I have a purpose and I also feel like .... like i am transformed!! I am asian - so to a certain degree no matter how hard I tried, there is always this sense of modesty/inferiority/internal conflicts in my life. With my Jeep, I feel free from these traits that has been torturing me, that has been holding me back. When I am driving a Jeep. I feel like Ken. This Ken can do anything. I feel empowered. My inadequacies gone away when I am in my Jeep. It was an awesome feelings to have - even though I might be using my big Jeep to "compensate" for some thing.

Then I saw a Rubicon. I saw the wheels, and how it looks and how solid it is. Its the creme de la creme (who came up with such stupid terms anyway pffft) something more than my regular Sport S Jeep. All of a sudden my inadequacies came back. My self confidence started to waver. I feel small. Slowly but surely. Like all the temporary magical attributes that my current Jeep gave me is eroding away - slowly by this behemoth of a Rubicon I met.

I feel.... that I need more. I need something BIGGER!!! Something BETTER!!! Something that will make me feel CONFIDENT!! SOMETHING!!! BIGGER!!!! BETTER!!! MORE!!! YEAAAAAH!!!

I just got a Rubicon yesterday. And now I am feeling better. I am starting to feel like I am the master of the universe! I am in control of my life. With Rubicon I can conquer the world. With a RUBICON I can be the ME!!! THE SELF ACTUALIZED KEN!!!

*dizzy*

Whoa that was such a heady experience I need some OJ. And that my friend is what a Rubicon give you! :like:
First off, congratulating on your new Rubicon! Can't wait to see some pics!

Next up, it has to be pointed out that you're obviously not giving yourself the credit that you truly deserve. Although there's no denying the fact that the mighty JL Wrangler is the most bad ass vehicle both on and off road, don't mistakenly give it too much credit. It just simply provided you with an outward expression of what was already in you from day one.

A quick example worth pointing out, so you don't think I'm just telling you what you want to hear:

One of the most common insecurities is in how we are viewed by others. No one wants to be viewed negatively, so too many people toss kindness and politeness out the window in a veiled attempt at coming across as hard as possible. More often than not they are only fooling themselves, but they think it works and stick with it. Like a dog that barks at the mailman everyday. They do it because they hear someone approaching and then leave, so the dog thinks it successfully warded off an intruder. So why fix what seems to work. It'd be a better world if people would just be their natural self and dropped the hard talk and puffed out chests.

You, on the other hand, have come across as a genuine and cool guy. You're not afraid to be playful in your posts, you readily share your thoughts and opinions, and have now put yourself out there. That right there shows just how much of a confident and secure person you truly are. Most people wear masks to hide their lack of confidence. You seem to just be you. That's confidence. The Jeep is just the little nudge you needed to show what's always been in you. Keep up the good work, Ken!

Just my 2 cents

WreckEm711

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Sport 6 speed
Options are good, people can get what they want or what suits their situation and plans.

I don't think I've even seen a rock within hundreds of miles of me, so the rock crawling capabilities of the Rubicon just aren't needed for me. I've also come from vehicles with every gadget and electronic comfort thing, and I'm so sick and tired of sensors going out, this needing to be replaced, that computer thing needing to be worked on, that I just want something dead simple with as few potential failure points that I don't know how to fix as possible.

That lead me to a base level sport, and I couldn't be more excited about silly things like manual windows! My dad's old rusted out Ford that had a tree grow up under it through the cab and out the roof you could open the door and roll the windows down until the day we scrapped it! If it ever breaks its something that I have the knowledge to fix myself or it's easy enough to learn., I miss being able to do that on my old Ranger, but most new vehicles have too many space-age systems that I'm not touching, and I avoid dealer service like the plague.

I have no plans of ever building up to or needing the capabilities of a Rubicon, so what upgrades I do plan on I'm excited to do from my garage with my kiddo as part of the experience of making it my own.

... But if I get the insane offroading bug? My sport is a blank canvas that I can turn into an off-road monstrosity that eats rocks and shits a prius. :jk: :flag:

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Awww Mike! Okay - I have to tell you. Your kind statement of me - well *heh* this is the first time that I am actually kind of loss of word and keep on hitting the "backspace" button because I don't know how to express my feelings. And that is rare. Your statement cause a dissonance and yet happiness in me because I don't think that many people are able to fathom or able to touch my inner self. Its surrounded by too many layers of onions like how Donkey says to Shrek.

I have been very lucky that I had a LOT of people that I came across my life who truly cares for me and along the way they had encouraged my growth and to be true to things that matter in life. Thank you!

Tell you what, maybe when all these craziness is over, I will drive up to LI and take you and your family out to lunch or something! And also in all seriousness, right back atcha, you have a lot of lucky people because they have you in their life.

And DANG IT MIKE!!! STOP ANALYZING ME!!! You have the nerve to make me feel uncomfortable. GAW!!! There! Now my dissonance and discomfort is gone. I am back to normal!! Whee heee!!! :like:
Just telling it like I see it. In a world that's become overrun with focusing on the negative, I choose to jump at the chance to tip the scales by shedding some much needed light on the positives. Like simply making a point to tell my guy that he did a great job at the end of a busy and productive day. Positive reinforcement goes a long way, when it's deserved and/or earned.

I'd definitely be down with a future meet up. Maybe hit some trails and cap it off with a bite to eat.

And although the offer to treat is appreciated, there's no need because common decency should never have to be paid for. Negativity always comes at a cost, but genuine positivity should always remain as free and pure as a cool rain on a hot day. Plus, a cost for positivity can't be used as an excuse to be stingy with it.

And don't forget pics of that new beast of yours!

Sponsored

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
I am asian - so to a certain degree no matter how hard I tried, there is always this sense of modesty/inferiority/internal conflicts in my life.
It’s not because you’re Asian, it’s because you’re human. Nobody’s life is perfect and there isn’t a single human being in this world, old or young, tall or small, fat or skinny that doesn’t deal with similar feelings on some level.
With my Jeep, I feel free from these traits that has been torturing me, that has been holding me back. When I am driving a Jeep. I feel like Ken. This Ken can do anything. I feel empowered. My inadequacies gone away when I am in my Jeep.
You escape in your Jeep and experience true zen and inner peace.
Even though I might be using my big Jeep to "compensate" for some thing.
Stop.
That’s what she said.
I just got a Rubicon yesterday.
Congrats! Pics?
And now I am feeling better. I am starting to feel like I am the master of the universe! I am in control of my life. With Rubicon I can conquer the world. With a RUBICON I can be the ME!!! THE SELF ACTUALIZED KEN!!!
:clap:
Next up, it has to be pointed out that you're obviously not giving yourself the credit that you truly deserve. Although there's no denying the fact that the mighty JL Wrangler is the most bad ass vehicle both on and off road, don't mistakenly give it too much credit. It just simply provided you with an outward expression of what was already in you from day one.
Well said
You, on the other hand, have come across as a genuine and cool guy. You're not afraid to be playful in your posts, you readily share your thoughts and opinions, and have now put yourself out there. That right there shows just how much of a confident and secure person you truly are. Most people wear masks to hide their lack of confidence. You seem to just be you. That's confidence. The Jeep is just the little nudge you needed to show what's always been in you. Keep up the good work, Ken!
Quoted for truth.
Awww Mike! Okay - I have to tell you. Your kind keep on hitting the "backspace" button because don't know how to express feelings. that is rare. Your statement cause a dissonance because I don't think that many people are able to fathom I touch my self surrounded by onions, Donkey and Shrek.

I encouraged my growth and true to things that matter in life. Than kyou!

Tell you what, maybe when all these craziness is over, I will drive up and take you and your family out!

And DANG IT STOP ANALING ME!!! You have the nerve to make me feel GAW!!! There! Now my discomfort is gone. I am back to normal!! Whee heee!!! :like:
Wow Ken, that wasn’t very nice. It was insulting and weird.

:giggle:

BCalvin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys JLU, 1996 Porsche 993, 2007 Hummer H3
but HOW????? why?? when?? what????? GOLLY!!!! :facepalm:
:LOL: I was figuratively speaking because i don't have lockers.
I'm not really that guy.

I think jeeps need lockers, that's why i'm a big fan of Rubicons.
But I also want 40's that's why i want more than stock Rubicon axles.

I don't have a Rubicon but I went into it knowing I was going to get Dynatrack axles and it would have been a wasted upgrade. Are prorock44's worth it? They are in my mind when you deduct
the up charge for the Rubicon from the expense of installing prorocks. I mean dana 60 wall thickness sounds nice, right?

I don't care about warranty when i'm in the middle of the desert with wife and kids.

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara