First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Occupation
Real Estate Agent
I plan on getting a 2 door Rubicon. But the Willys Sport 4 door with a 3.0 diesel is tempting. Especially since I have kids.

From what I understand the regular Willys Sport comes with Rubicon shocks but the 3.0 diesel comes with the shocks and the heavier springs and not just the rear 44 axle but the from is 44 as well. If that the case can you throw 35s on the diesel Willys without a lift like you can the Rubicon from the factory?

This is definitely interesting. A 2 door Rubicon 3.6 manual and 4 door Willys sport 3.0 Auto diesel comes put to about the same price $42k

Now I'm wondering what's the better rig to go with? I bet that diesel has some serious power down low!!!
Do you know if they are the wider track 44's fitted to the Rubicon because that is essential to fitting 35's. The Willy's will not have the raised front fenders for sure. Almost certainly it will need a lift for 35's

I do not know why people get all worked up over the "low down torque". The Willy's will also have taller rear end gearing than the Rubicon and lack the 4:1 transfer case gearing so I am sure the 3.6 Rubi is putting plenty of torque down for crawling.

You can order a Rubicon with a black grille and painting the wheels black to follow that fad is super easy.

We have a 2 dr Rubi 3.6 manual. It is a great little Jeep. Fun to drive, super capable and plenty comfortable. I think the Rubicon package is the best value Jeep offers myself and being able to get a reliable powerful gas engine backed up with a manual trans made it a no brainer for me.
Sponsored

displayname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
From what I understand the regular Willys Sport comes with Rubicon shocks but the 3.0 diesel comes with the shocks and the heavier springs and not just the rear 44 axle but the from is 44 as well. If that the case can you throw 35s on the diesel Willys without a lift like you can the Rubicon from the factory?
To my understanding, the Willy's do not have the wider axels of the Rubicon, even with the diesel. They also have the sport fenders, which sit lower than the rubicon fenders. You could probably squeeze some 35s in there, but I'd imagine you'd get rubbing, especially on flex. But a Mopar lift does exist for the diesel, so you could move to 35s that way without any issues.
jl-sahara-to-rubicon-gif.gif

They definitely need to start giving it more options.
If the 2dr sales start to hit something like 25%, I'm sure they would. But everything I've read indicates the 2dr sales are much lower.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
People tend to underestimate the off-road capabilities of Sport, Willys and Sahara. Worse, if you plan to lift anyway, the differences to Rubicon become even smaller.

A Sport, Willys or Sahara with a Mopar lift will easily take 35-inch tires, which not only makes Rubicon’s high fenders unnecessary, it gets you an insane 12+ inches of ground clearance. The factory LSD includes a rear D44 and adds further traction on and off-road.

But FCA has us brainwashed that we need a Rubicon. No, we don’t. FCA simply makes a ton more money selling Rubicons, and that’s all they care about.

Last edited:

displayname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
People tend to underestimate the off-road capabilities of a Sport, Willys or Sahara. Worse, if you plan to lift anyway, the differences vs Rubicon become even smaller.

A Sport, Willys or Sahara with a Mopar lift will easily take 35-inch tires, which not only makes Rubicon’s high fenders unnecessary, it gets you an insane 12+ inches of ground clearance. The factory LSD includes a rear D44 and adds further traction on and off-road.

But FCA has us brainwashed that we need a Rubicon. No, we don’t. FCA simply makes a ton more money selling Rubicons, and that’s all they care about.
I agree with all of this, and I hope they continue to include TFL Tommy's 2dr Willys in future videos for comparison... assuming he keeps it stock for awhile. I think he can really show that a stock 2dr Willys would surprise a lot of people.

DaveNH

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Sonata
If I had to guess, there are 3 main reasons.

1. They expect a small take rate.

2. Room for emissions equipment.

3. Weight and wheelbase to offset the heavier engine. There's about a 300# difference between a base JLR and JLRU, which obviously is going to be biased to the rear in the 4 door.

Sponsored

grimmjeeper

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 1987 Comanche, 1997 F250
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
enginerd
If the 2dr sales start to hit something like 25%, I'm sure they would. But everything I've read indicates the 2dr sales are much lower.
That's just it. The 2 door CJ/Wrangler has survived competition from all sorts of places. It's taken on the Bronco (now twice), the International Scout, The Japanese offerings and the GM derivatives of them.

The only thing that looks like it could kill the 2 door Wrangler is.... the 4 door Wrangler.

I had an old CJ7. I had a 2 door JK. They were both great. But I like my 4 door JL because it is just a more practical vehicle all around. And outside of a small but determined group of die hards, a vast majority of the buying public agrees.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Do you know if they are the wider track 44's fitted to the Rubicon because that is essential to fitting 35's. The Willy's will not have the raised front fenders for sure. Almost certainly it will need a lift for 35's

I do not know why people get all worked up over the "low down torque". The Willy's will also have taller rear end gearing than the Rubicon and lack the 4:1 transfer case gearing so I am sure the 3.6 Rubi is putting plenty of torque down for crawling.

You can order a Rubicon with a black grille and painting the wheels black to follow that fad is super easy.

We have a 2 dr Rubi 3.6 manual. It is a great little Jeep. Fun to drive, super capable and plenty comfortable. I think the Rubicon package is the best value Jeep offers myself and being able to get a reliable powerful gas engine backed up with a manual trans made it a no brainer for me.
Rubicons have 4.10's and the rest gets 3.45's, but diesels come with 3.73's across all trims.

SilverSurfer

First Name
Heinrich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon 3.6 8-speed Auto
a 3.0 Diesel and a 392 Rubicon 2-door, now that would be something out of this world.

You hear that Bronco? Jeep still have many cards up their sleeve!

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
a 3.0 Diesel and a 392 Rubicon 2-door, now that would be something out of this world.

You hear that Bronco? Jeep still have many cards up their sleeve!
—Ford is still collecting its cards from the floor...

Sponsored

OP
OP
JeepViking13

JeepViking13

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Willys Xtreme Recon 2022 Ford Bronco
To my understanding, the Willy's do not have the wider axels of the Rubicon, even with the diesel. They also have the sport fenders, which sit lower than the rubicon fenders. You could probably squeeze some 35s in there, but I'd imagine you'd get rubbing, especially on flex. But a Mopar lift does exist for the diesel, so you could move to 35s that way without any issues.
Jeep Wrangler JL Why no 3.0 diesel for 2 door? jl-sahara-to-rubicon-

How much does the Jeep dealerships usually charge for the 2 inch Mopar lift and installation?

OP
OP
JeepViking13

JeepViking13

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Willys Xtreme Recon 2022 Ford Bronco
$2500ish feels like a familiar number. That could be way off. I haven't done it, but it's been discussed periodically on a few threads.
Sounds about right. I've heard similar. But maybe someone who has had it installed can confirm. 🤞

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Sounds about right. I've heard similar. But maybe someone who has had it installed can confirm. 🤞
During the holidays my dealer had the Mopar lift on special for $2,000, incl. parts & labor. So I took the bait.

Most dealers in the area had a similar special, so it must have been a FCA/Mopar offer.

It is well worth it.
Sponsored

Last edited: