Why no 2.0 turbo with Xtreme Recon?

ezoliver

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Mojave - New JLU coming soon
So I am shopping for a JKUR - I am bummed that I am forced to the V6 engine when choosing Xtreme Recon package.
I wonder why Jeep did this?

I really like that the recon comes with a little lift, and 4.56 gearing.
Now I am on the fence about which way to go. I guess I am asking would you skip the recon package to get the 2.0 turbo over the V6?

I found a Rubicon with the Recon package and all the other options that I would want and in my preferred color and price is good. Just wish it had the other engine...
Sponsored

SG19JLUR

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
So I am shopping for a JKUR - I am bummed that I am forced to the V6 engine when choosing Xtreme Recon package.
I wonder why Jeep did this?

I really like that the recon comes with a little lift, and 4.56 gearing.
Now I am on the fence about which way to go. I guess I am asking would you skip the recon package to get the 2.0 turbo over the V6?

I found a Rubicon with the Recon package and all the other options that I would want and in my preferred color and price is good. Just wish it had the other engine...
I would opt for the 2.0 instead of the XR package. You can easily run up to 37's with a 2.0 without regearing. I ran 35's and then 37's on mine and never regeared. I also ran 39's for a couple months before I regeared. The 39's were a little bit of a struggle, but still driveable. I now have 39's with 4.88 gears.

OP
OP

ezoliver

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I would opt for the 2.0 instead of the XR package. You can easily run up to 37's with a 2.0 without regearing. I ran 35's and then 37's on mine and never regeared. I also ran 39's for a couple months before I regeared. The 39's were a little bit of a struggle, but still driveable. I now have 39's with 4.88 gears.
Thank you for that information. I think I will try to line up a Rubicon with the turbo.
Just kind of strange that its not available with the XR option.

SG19JLUR

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Thank you for that information. I think I will try to line up a Rubicon with the turbo.
Just kind of strange that its not available with the XR option.
There’s a lot more low end torque with the 2.0 vs. the 3.6. Not sure why they don’t offer the 2.0 with the XR package, maybe they feel like the extra torque along with the lower gearing is gonna be harder on the drivetrain?

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White 2dr JL Rubicon 3.6
Your mileage may vary honestly - I can't stand the way the 2.0 sounds and feels to drive. A little bit (definitely noticeable) more torque at select RPM ranges with the 2.0, but I'm much happier with the throaty 3.6 regeared to 4.88 after driving a 2.0 loaner for two weeks. The 8 speed auto IMO is much more aggressive and has to do less work with the 3.6 whereas the 2.0 seems to always be shifting to stay in a narrow range where it makes the most power.

Some people love the 2.0 though - highly recommend you get an hour of seat time in both before you commit because opinions vary wildly on this.

Sponsored

Gazelle

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 4xe ordered 11/6/20; delivered 5/13/21
Build Thread
Link
It could be that Stellantis decided to only offer the XR on a few models to keep the corporate avg fuel economy acceptable while still being able to compete with the available options offered on the new Bronco.

I highly recommend you drive both engines with the transmission you want. For me, the V6 provided sufficient power smoothly with a nice, linear increase as the revs climbed whereas the Turbo4 had a little turbo lag then pulled harder than the V6. In normal driving, the lag was always present when mashing the throttle, but the extra power made the turbo more fun on road where, sadly, most of us spend 90% of our miles.

If considering a non-xr model, you may want to look at the 4xe which sits an inch higher than "normal" Rubicons and has plenty of torque for 35's. I run small 37's on mine and have no issues, but it's not the right choice everybody.

OP
OP

ezoliver

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There’s a lot more low end torque with the 2.0 vs. the 3.6. Not sure why they don’t offer the 2.0 with the XR package, maybe they feel like the extra torque along with the lower gearing is gonna be harder on the drivetrain?
But th mean
Your mileage may vary honestly - I can't stand the way the 2.0 sounds and feels to drive. A little bit (definitely noticeable) more torque at select RPM ranges with the 2.0, but I'm much happier with the throaty 3.6 regeared to 4.88 after driving a 2.0 loaner for two weeks. The 8 speed auto IMO is much more aggressive and has to do less work with the 3.6 whereas the 2.0 seems to always be shifting to stay in a narrow range where it makes the most power.

Some people love the 2.0 though - highly recommend you get an hour of seat time in both before you commit because opinions vary wildly on this.
Thanks for your feedback. I do like both engines actually. I like the overall sound of the V6 better but the turbo has more grunt no doubt. I drive my wife's Mojave Gladiator with the 3.6 quite often and I do feel that it adequate power, especially at low elevations.
Everything is sort of a dog after driving turbo diesel trucks as my daily for the last decade. lol
I would love the 392 but its too much of a cost premium for the power upgrade to justify for me, and it comes standard with some options that I just don't want.

Dbasiliere

First Name
Dana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara 4Xe

You can get aftermarket dual exhaust for the 2.0 I4.
Sponsored