Sponsored

Why Jeep does not automatically share build status?

MIsterMagoO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I work with Manufacturing companies in the implementation of technology to improve their business, so of course I know that sharing data with customers, i.e.: status of orders, is a reality, I dont think one needs to be in Tech to know this. Data can be shared in near real-time, i.e.: when an operation in a production order is completed, send an email out or have a web interface query the status.

Even Jeep did that with the VON status check webpage, but stopped doing it.

So, the only reason I see as to why Jeep would not properly communicate status with their customers is that their Production process is highly inconsistent and they are not particularly proud of it, their scheduling process must suck, so they can't communicate ETAs until the vehicle is in Gateline and even then, not accurately.
Sponsored

Jjirish

First Name
Jenne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep 392, 2024 Jeep 392, 2023 BMW X7C
Occupation
Lurking the forum
I work with Manufacturing companies in the implementation of technology to improve their business, so of course I know that sharing data with customers, i.e.: status of orders, is a reality, I dont think one needs to be in Tech to know this. Data can be shared in near real-time, i.e.: when an operation in a production order is completed, send an email out or have a web interface query the status.

Even Jeep did that with the VON status check webpage, but stopped doing it.

So, the only reason I see as to why Jeep would not properly communicate status with their customers is that their Production process is highly inconsistent and they are not particularly proud of it, their scheduling process must suck, so they can't communicate ETAs until the vehicle is in Gateline and even then, not accurately.
Seems logical.... guess its just a jeep thing...
jeep could def take notes from mini/bmw who have a great and humorous approach to keeping clients updated on the build and shipping status.

Whaler27

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude Ecodiesel, 2005 Mustang GT, 2018 Ford Raptor, 2018 BMW R1200GSA, 2020 Honda Monkeybikes (2), 1972 Honda CT-70, 1980 Honda CT-70,
Occupation
Saving the world :-)
I doubt itā€™s a matter of not being able to share the information in real time.

Thereā€™s no benefit to Jeep if the instant and persistent messaging to the customer is almost always bad news.

Iā€˜m sure weā€™ll see better communication ability if Jeep production speed ever approaches the expectations created by the dealerships.

RoadRouge

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
I work in manufacturing as well. If Jeep is experiencing what most other companies are currently experiencing with these supply shortages I would speculate the lack of information flowing from them is because they simply do not have the answers. We have several suppliers who simply cannot confirm, let alone commit to delivery schedules because they in turn have supply shortages of raw material shortages further upstream. Their suppliers in turn cannot commit either. The next best option for Jeep and any other company in this situation is to conservatively estimate delivery WAY OUT in attempt to set realistic expectations to the customers. I was told in late July that my Jeep delivery would be mid October and low and behold it arrived long before mid-October. My expectation was mid-October and my satisfaction was through the roof when it arrived early. Well done Jeep! You have sucessfully managed my expectation.

Hearhear

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus, 392 XR Wrangler
Who is the best contact for information on your build status? Can someone share that link please? Thanks

Sponsored

turbosix

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon
Lmfaoooooo you really want to get excited seeing an email from jeep just to open it and read "hey no update lol still waiting on chips"

Litfury

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On order: 2022 Rubicon XR Hydro Blue
I get the people who are citing the current shortages and materials crisis. Which is a real thing. However, Jeep has neglected to do this since well before COVID, when things were running optimally and there were no supply chain issues. Having ordered a Jeep myself and read more pages of the ordering threads than I care to admit, I will echo the original poster. It is complete chaos. There is no rhyme or reason to their build process.

badgerridge719

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport
I would almost argue that the date of your order matters the least.

Instead it seems like trim levels and options determine when it gets built.

turbosix

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon
I would almost argue that the date of your order matters the least.

Instead it seems like trim levels and options determine when it gets built.
There's also a secret "delay 1 week" button dealers can press if you keep annoying them about your delivery date.

Sponsored

badgerridge719

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport
There's also a secret "delay 1 week" button dealers can press if you keep annoying them about your delivery date.
You kid but I try not to check with my sales guy very much. I think I email him maybe once every few weeks at most.

Now Jeep Chat, on the other hand, knows me inside and out! It's their job to field our OCD status updates and tolerate our checking in multiple times a week :devil:

turbosix

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon
You kid but I try not to check with my sales guy very much. I think I email him maybe once every few weeks at most.

Now Jeep Chat, on the other hand, knows me inside and out! It's their job to field our OCD status updates and tolerate our checking in multiple times a week :devil:
Honestly I have an order for a 22 trd pro Tacoma, I do check it every week but I don't expect any updates. And there's no salesperson to bug.

I know this shit all takes time so I just wait.

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
A big reason is because it's largely illegal for Jeep to sell a vehicle to you directly. Plus different states have different laws and its legally complicated. So keeping you informed of your order (as one would expect in the internet age) is a legal grey zone "none of your business" thing. Jeep is not selling you a Jeep. They're selling a Jeep to the dealer, who is selling a Jeep to you.

What about Tesla, you ask? They're fighting this by exploiting a loophole. You can approach Tesla directly and order a vehicle yourself without going through a dealer. What actually happens after that is that the order is transferred to an overseas exporter who isn't subject to US law. They fulfill the order, bypassing state auto franchise laws. Yes, many states have a problem with this. Tesla is disruptive in all sorts of ways.

OP
OP

MIsterMagoO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
A big reason is because it's largely illegal for Jeep to sell a vehicle to you directly. Plus different states have different laws and its legally complicated. So keeping you informed of your order (as one would expect in the internet age) is a legal grey zone "none of your business" thing. Jeep is not selling you a Jeep. They're selling a Jeep to the dealer, who is selling a Jeep to you.

What about Tesla, you ask? They're fighting this by exploiting a loophole. You can approach Tesla directly and order a vehicle yourself without going through a dealer. What actually happens after that is that the order is transferred to an overseas exporter who isn't subject to US law. They fulfill the order, bypassing state auto franchise laws. Yes, many states have a problem with this. Tesla is disruptive in all sorts of ways.
I am not a fan of dealers, I always leave with the feeling I had a bad deal...overpaid, or didn't haggle enough. Of course now the dealers really don't give a damn, it is a take it or leave situation, some people are lucky if they pay MSRP, I heard about a Ford dealer charging 10k over MSRP, so yes, I am not too fond of the traditional dealership model, and they used to have hot dogs on the weekends, I don't see much of that anymore.

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
I am not a fan of dealers, I always leave with the feeling I had a bad deal...overpaid, or didn't haggle enough. Of course now the dealers really don't give a damn, it is a take it or leave situation, some people are lucky if they pay MSRP, I heard about a Ford dealer charging 10k over MSRP, so yes, I am not too fond of the traditional dealership model, and they used to have hot dogs on the weekends, I don't see much of that anymore.
I think just about everyone is fed up with dealers. It's supposed to be so there is competition and you can play one dealer off another, but all consumers really get is shenanigans from costly and largely unnecessary middlemen.

This is the vehicle, these are the options, this is the price, add to shopping cart, proceed to checkout. That's what people want now. No fuss, no shady trickery, no haggling, plain and simple. At least Tesla is causing problems for it, so there's that.
Sponsored