Sponsored

Why is there an unconnected Park Assist ECU in my JL?

Varilux

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I'm in the process of replacing my knee panel speakers, and I noticed a module on the back of the driver's side speaker pod. I swapped it over to the Metra pod, but then I got curious (because it's obviously an ECU- but it isn't connected to anything).

The number on the back of the module is: 068293147AD (here's a pic):
911e72ae93f1d79e660fc802f35e36b69d366db9.jpg

I looked up the module, and apparently it is a Park Assist ECU. If I'm not mistaken, park assist is when the vehicle basically parks itself- an option I didn't think was available on the Jeep Wrangler (and I wouldn't want it if it was). My question is, considering the penny-pinching car manufacturers do these days, why would FCA bolt an ECU into my JL for no reason? Apparently this module is in every JL, because the instructions from Metra indicated the module would be there (and that it should be swapped over to the new pod).
Sponsored

pablo_max3045

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Engineering project manager
Park assist in the US is the rear parking sensors. In the rest of the world, it is the front and rear sensors. No "self parking" is offered on the JL so far.

RideMyWillys

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Willys
I'm in the process of replacing my knee panel speakers, and I noticed a module on the back of the driver's side speaker pod. I swapped it over to the Metra pod, but then I got curious (because it's obviously an ECU- but it isn't connected to anything).

The number on the back of the module is: 068293147AD (here's a pic):
Jeep Wrangler JL Why is there an unconnected Park Assist ECU in my JL? 911e72ae93f1d79e660fc802f35e36b69d366db9

I looked up the module, and apparently it is a Park Assist ECU. If I'm not mistaken, park assist is when the vehicle basically parks itself- an option I didn't think was available on the Jeep Wrangler (and I wouldn't want it if it was). My question is, considering the penny-pinching car manufacturers do these days, why would FCA bolt an ECU into my JL for no reason? Apparently this module is in every JL, because the instructions from Metra indicated the module would be there (and that it should be swapped over to the new pod).
Hi, where did you find that module? Funniest thing is that I bought a Rubicon rear bumper with the park sensors already in the bumper and I’ve been looking for 3 hours for where the module is located. I was told by a Jeep Dealer that it was in the rear right quarter panel trim panel, so after hours of taking everything apart and trying to find it, I found out from a better dealer that only Sahara and Rubicon has the module back there but the Sport models have it up front to the left of the steering column. Is that where are you found your module? Thanks!

Sponsored

alleycat

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Willys 2.0t
Occupation
Retired
Hi, where did you find that module? Funniest thing is that I bought a Rubicon rear bumper with the park sensors already in the bumper and I’ve been looking for 3 hours for where the module is located. I was told by a Jeep Dealer that it was in the rear right quarter panel trim panel, so after hours of taking everything apart and trying to find it, I found out from a better dealer that only Sahara and Rubicon has the module back there but the Sport models have it up front to the left of the steering column. Is that where are you found your module? Thanks!
Just trying to help, the OP stated " I noticed a module on the back of the driver's side speaker pod. "

RideMyWillys

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Willys
Just trying to help, the OP stated " I noticed a module on the back of the driver's side speaker pod. "
Thank you. Yes I looked under there and I have the same box unplugged and what that box is for is the option controls for the my Willys. I had purchased a Tazer Mini and I was able to change options like tire size and the Stop/Start and the seat belt ding, add the Proximity locks on my vehicle all without having to take it to the dealer and paying the $175 fee. So that box is unplugged because there may be a Tazer or alike plugged in.
Sponsored