Why is the rear limited slip differential not standard equipment

Jtimbrook

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 1946 CJ2A
This has become two different topics it would seem, the first being the LSD as an option, which like everyone else has alluded to it's a money issue. Overall, having LSD is a nice feature that can contribute to a slightly higher resale value when you do sell it, but it's not necessary if that's what you choose.
The second part is the "trail rating" if you go to the Jeep website they actually detail how a vehicle attains the badge and I can guarantee having or not having LSD makes as much of a difference as having the Alpine sound system in it or not. The LSD is a perk just like locking differentials in a Rubicon are a perk, you can still enjoy going offroad without them, but you may just be limited in where you go is all.
In my previous JKU I ordered it with the LSD but when I went to 37's and 4.88's I swapped it out for an OX locker because it was the more logical direction for me to go as I was preparing to run the Rubicon. BTW I used my locker all of two times when we went which means I ran open, 90% of the trail.
Sponsored

OP
OP

mtomac

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited JL - 2017 Silverado 3500 Duramax - 17 Chevy Equinox
Why isn’t every option “standard” equipment? Is this a serious question?
Because every option isn’t related to trail or off road use like a LSD is

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Because every option isn’t related to trail or off road use like a LSD is
Right. What percentage of jeeps bought do you think actually make it off road? Why would they make something standard equipment that the vast majority of buyers will never use?

OP
OP

mtomac

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited JL - 2017 Silverado 3500 Duramax - 17 Chevy Equinox
Right. What percentage of jeeps bought do you think actually make it off road? Why would they make something standard equipment that the vast majority of buyers will never use?
I don’t consider driving on snow covered roads or gravel roads as “off road driving”.

hutchman

First Name
itufoijo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willy
"Trail Ratred" is marketing BS. Nothing more.... Jeeps had open difs for many years and were extremely capable.

Do you think this one had limited slip and was "Trail Rated?"

jeep-XL.jpg

It was pretty dang good at what it did without the silly badge or limited slip.
Sponsored