Why is the rear limited slip differential not standard equipment

mtomac

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited JL - 2017 Silverado 3500 Duramax - 17 Chevy Equinox
Why is the rear limited slip differential not standard equipment on a Wrangler Sport or Sahara ?

It’s a “Trail Rated” Jeep Wrangler, not a Jeep Compass
Sponsored

Last edited:

JCatherine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Why is the rear limited slip differential not standard equipment on a Wrangler Sport or Sahara ?

Agree

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU

Why isn’t every option “standard” equipment? Is this a serious question?

Karl_in_Chicago

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RL, Chevrolet Corvette, Harley-Davidson FLHTC Electra-Glide Classic

Why do you conflate limited slip with trail rated?

Sponsored

JCatherine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
My thought is this... when I think trail rated, I think the ability to get over/go through moderate obstacles fairly easily (with good driving assumed). Therefore, I think of the wheels that get the best traction for what is offered and in most cases this starts with good tires and some form of limited slip or in more advanced cases lockers. I look at Jeeps, especially a trail rated one, for this to be inherent. Therefore the Jeeps that do not have one of these option, I feel may not deserve the trail rated badge unless they are modified in some form.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
My thought is this... when I think trail rated, I think the ability to get over/go through moderate obstacles fairly easily (with good driving assumed). Therefore, I think of the wheels that get the best traction for what is offered and in most cases this starts with good tires and some form of limited slip or in more advanced cases lockers. I look at Jeeps, especially a trail rated one, for this to be inherent. Therefore the Jeeps that do not have one of these option, I feel may not deserve the trail rated badge unless they are modified in some form.
I’ve been over terrain with an open differential in my TJ that most here likely wouldn’t dream of touching. You would have a hard time convincing me I need a limited slip to be considered “trail rated”.

TA1ton

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Well the non-limited slip equipped wranglers come with BLD which works like a LSD but isn’t near as smooth. Also the LSD comes in a Dana 44 rear end...so yes...they make money on it, but for the price of the LSD, it’s quite a bargain!

JCatherine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve been over terrain with an open differential in my TJ that most here likely wouldn’t dream of touching. You would have a hard time convincing me I need a limited slip to be considered “trail rated”.
Was it stock?

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Was it stock?
You’re missing the point. What percentage of wranglers do you think ever see a trail? Even the vast majority of Rubicons never leave the pavement. Why would FCA make something standard equipment that the majority of its buyers have no need for? To answer your question, I had a 2” budget lift and 31” tires. Eventually added a winch. Would have loved to play follow me with the majority of New wrangler purchasers.

Sponsored

Arrowhead

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Well the non-limited slip equipped wranglers come with BLD which works like a LSD but isn’t near as smooth. Also the LSD comes in a Dana 44 rear end...so yes...they make money on it, but for the price of the LSD, it’s quite a bargain!
I'm pretty sure the BLD works with the optional antispin as well. Guess i need to go get stuck just make sure :)

Indio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Jeep TJ, 1985 Jeep CJ-7, 1972 Series III Land Rover
Occupation
Procrastinator

My CJs and old Land Rover had open diffs. Took them all over the place offroading. Well at least when I lived in Colorado and the offroading opportunities were numerous. Now I live in flat Chicagoland. :( Anyway you don't need LSD, although I would order the LSD as mentioned to get the uprated rear axle if it's not a Rubicon model.

spurly

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White JLUR
^ Agreed.

I think you would be surprised what you can actually go over with open diffs. As long as all 3 wheels are on the ground, there's no need to have a LSD or lockers. My TJ does remarkably well with a worn LSD, open front diff, and 3.07 gears, and it's trail rated. I believe the 'Trail Rated' badge used to mean it had 4Lo and a few skid plates. But they've expanded that over the years. Of course though Jeep came up with the term 'Trail Rated', they can make it mean whatever they want.

But this is from Jeep.com
A Trail Rated® badge is not given. It’s earned. Every Trail Rated 4x4 Jeep® Brand vehicle has succeeded against a series of grueling tests in five categories: Traction, Water Fording, Maneuverability, Articulation and Ground Clearance.
Sponsored