Sponsored

Why is the 392 towing capacity so low?

Hearhear

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus, 392 XR Wrangler
The 392 has a 470 HP engine, beefier suspension, etc… but only a 3,500 pound towing limit. A freakin Honda Pilot can tow that. Why is the towing capacity so poor on the 392’s?
Sponsored

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Jeep just does it universally. 2k for the 2 doors and 3.5k for the 4 doors.

Herson

First Name
Herson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Wrangler unlimited rubicon
The 392 has a 470 HP engine, beefier suspension, etc… but only a 3,500 pound towing limit. A freakin Honda Pilot can tow that. Why is the towing capacity so poor on the 392’s?
This has nothing to do with HP. There are many factors like the chasis, brakes and cooling capacity for the engine, transmission and brakes.

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
Haha, towing isn't how easy you can pull a trailer, it's how easy you can stop a trailer. It's how easy you can control a trailer on a winding road (slalom). It's so much more than hp. This thread made me LOL, so thank you for that.

Sponsored

jaymz

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited
It's more about the "rules" here in the States than it is about the vehicles capabilities. Identical European Wranglers are rated at 5K from what I understand.

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Winner Winner Chicken Dinner! This is the real reason. Wheelbase is huge. That is why the Gladiator can tow twice what the Wrangler can with the same exact engine and tow package.
A regular cab f150 only has 3" more wheelbase and can tow up to 8k lbs. It's what Jeep bothered to certify them at. Our 01 wj was rated at 5k and is unibody with weaker axles, engine, transmission, and brakes and 9-10" less wheelbase. Likely they didn't want to bother with recertification of every configuration as few are buying a wrangler as a tow rig anyway. A sport with 3.45 gears and either the v6 or the 2.0t doesn't have the braking capacity, axle strength, or pulling power of a Rubicon with 4.10's let alone an ecodiesel or a 392. It is what it is and there's nothing you can do to increase it. That being said, you aren't hauling commercially, so nobody is ever going to weigh your trailer.

Last edited:

BeachPilot74

First Name
Garrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR, 2013 F-F150
Occupation
Airline Pilot
A regular cab f150 only has 3" more wheelbase and can tow up to 8k lbs. It's what Jeep bothered to certify them at. Our 01 wj was rated at 5k and is unibody with weaker axles, engine, transmission, and brakes. Likely they didn't want to bother with recertification of every configuration as few are buying a wrangler as a tow rig anyway. A sport with 3.45 gears and either the v6 or the 2.0t doesn't have the braking capacity, axle strength, or pulling power of a Rubicon with 4.10's let alone an ecodiesel or a 392. It is what it is and there's nothing you can do to increase it. That being said, you aren't hauling commercially, so nobody is ever going to weigh your trailer.
all great points... I think you are right on all that. Hence why over the pond they are rated at pulling so much more.

Sponsored

Jeepster_Aus

First Name
Renier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
Typically you guys in the US of A have it better than what we do down under in Australia. We do however get a higher towing capacity here - on the 4 door it is 2500kg (5500 pounds). It's probably the only area where we are not more limited, for example we get the 3.6 Pentastar as the only engine option.

Overland Utah

First Name
Caden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Sounds like legal constraints combined with them not wanting to have to redesign a whole new chassis to increase towing, rather than just plop an engine in an already proven one.

BradyW

First Name
Brady
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392XR
Vehicle Showcase
As an owner of a 392 and an F250 diesel, I wouldn’t want to tow more than 3-4k with the Jeep. First and FOREMOST the 392 is under braked under its own weight, much less with 4k of trailer weight behind you. Secondly, wheelbase and suspension, a big trailer would whip the 392’s ass if it got to swaying. Thirdly, I wouldn’t want to pay the fuel bill, my diesel can tow a 24ft trailer loaded down at MPG fairly similar to the 392 strutting around by itself. I’d bet towing in the 392 will get you down in the 8-9mpg range; gas stations come not too long after 200mi without towing. Have you ever towed long distances when you have 140mi of range? It is god-awful and nerve-racking.

I love my 392 to death but if I need to tow something I’d rather put it on the 24ft trailer along with whatever actually needs towing and deliver both with the pickup.

Sargeoverland

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 jlu
Someone has never towed before.
the Jeep is not under powered by any means. My trailer meets the weight limit and with the 2.0 up steep grades, you can tell the trailer is there but it’s not a struggle bus. I’ve moved a Jeep on a 1500lb flat bed and there was no struggle either but down a grade I wouldn’t trust the trans cooler and brakes To not heat up when towing something heavier than 4-5k but that’s just me. The 3500 diesel trucks have at max 400hp from the factory and they tow 30k with ease. power ≠ more towing capacity