Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR
  • Banned
So many comments about the 2.0 Turbo being loud, noisy and unrefined especially at cold start up. Comments like it sounds like a sewing machine, a diesel. It’s so loud it wakes people from their sleep.

Why is this? What’s the reason it’s so loud? Most 4 cylinders can hardly be heard. I had a Ford Escape with the 2.0 Eco Boost and it wasn’t loud by any means.

I am looking forward to the insight and learning something here. I really have no idea why they sound as they do.
Sponsored

Philly_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

Personally, I don't feel the 2.0T is noisy at all. In fact, I find it so quiet that I forget to turn the engine off before exiting the vehicle on occasion. I think when it revs up, it sounds a bit like a lawn mower, but what else can you really expect from a turbo i4?

My experience may be a bit different, though, in that I rarely start driving my Jeep until the oil has warmed up to operating temp. I figure it's one easy thing I can do to help prolong its life, as I definitely don't baby the throttle.

At Risk Ute

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
milehightrails.com
Vehicle(s)
‘94 YJ, ‘21 JLR, ‘22 JLUR XR, ‘23 392 XR
Occupation
Retired Navy
Have had both the 3.6 and 2.0. Latter sounds like a sewing machine and fan kicks on frequently when wheeling. I’ll take the bad with the good (more torque and forced induction at elevation).

1BadManVan

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU Sahara/2018 Durango R/T
Occupation
Locomotive Engineer
It’s definitely loud compared to the 3.6. I wouldn’t say it’s a deal breaker and that’s more noticeable under heavier acceleration

OP
OP
Mikester86

Mikester86

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR
  • Banned
But what is making it loud? Is it simply the internals slapping around? I start mine up cold and yes it sounds loud and proud. Not bad once warmed up, but still louder than most 4 bangers.

Sponsored

Remorseless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JLR 2.0T, '21 KL TH 3.2, '19 Charger R/T 5.7
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Holier Than Thou Internet Bully, Part-Time Online Boy Scout, Full-Time Arson Enthusiast
But what is making it loud? Is it simply the internals slapping around? I start mine up cold and yes it sounds loud and proud. Not bad once warmed up, but still louder than most 4 bangers.
I think it's the design of the Wrangler's engine bay. Most vehicles with 4 bangers are cars where the hood is both further away from your ears and is better sound deadened due to either insulating materials or just being shoved further back up in the engine bay.

I came from a JK with a 3.6 (gen 1) and I personally find the two engines to be of similar loudness. Most of what I hear are valve train noises, nothing to be concerned about.

OP
OP
Mikester86

Mikester86

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR
  • Banned
I think it's the design of the Wrangler's engine bay. Most vehicles with 4 bangers are cars where the hood is both further away from your ears and is better sound deadened due to either insulating materials or just being shoved further back up in the engine bay.

I came from a JK with a 3.6 (gen 1) and I personally find the two engines to be of similar loudness. Most of what I hear are valve train noises, nothing to be concerned about.
Makes sense for sure. Thanks!

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
As I have commented in the past, the noise at start up when cold (specially if you are outside the Jeep) is really the only negative of the 2.0T. Otherwise it is a great engine.

What causes the noise at start up are the high pressure DI fuel pump, the high idle, and how the motor runs for the first minute or two in an attempt to warm up (engine and cats) as fast as possible for emissions reduction. After that it sounds OK (not great, but OK).

You notice it more on the Jeep because of the design of the grill and fenders with a lot of direct open areas around the engine. From the inside it is not as noticeable or noisy.

You need to balance that with:

1 - Only engine on the Wrangler line up without the ridiculous cross over exhaust pipe hanging low (to be smashed by rocks) under the Jeep and interfering with front drive shaft on full droops with a longer shocks.

2 - Amazing low-mid range torque and power for it's size - that is where you do most of your driving.

3 - Compactness and ease of access to work on maintenance.

4 - Most modern engine, by far in the Wrangler line up, and only one of the current variants that is likely to be around mid-decade and beyond.

5 - You can change the oil without cracking the oil filter adapter with 2 fingers if you work out.

So, on balance, it is a good engine. Moves my 37s well at decent fuel economy, and trouble free. Can't ask for much more. Well, we can, better start up sound. That is where remote start and/or good music come in.

OP
OP
Mikester86

Mikester86

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR
  • Banned
As I have commented in the past, the noise at start up when cold (specially if you are outside the Jeep) is really the only negative of the 2.0T. Otherwise it is a great engine.

What causes the noise at start up are the high pressure DI fuel pump, the high idle, and how the motor runs for the first minute or two in an attempt to warm up (engine and cats) as fast as possible for emissions reduction. After that it sounds OK (not great, but OK).

You notice it more on the Jeep because of the design of the grill and fenders with a lot of direct open areas around the engine. From the inside it is not as noticeable or noisy.

You need to balance that with:

1 - Only engine on the Wrangler line up without the ridiculous cross over exhaust pipe hanging low (to be smashed by rocks) under the Jeep and interfering with front drive shaft on full droops with a longer shocks.

2 - Amazing low-mid range torque and power for it's size - that is where you do most of your driving.

3 - Compactness and ease of access to work on maintenance.

4 - Most modern engine, by far in the Wrangler line up, and only one of the current variants that is likely to be around mid-decade and beyond.

5 - You can change the oil without cracking the oil filter adapter with 2 fingers if you work out.

So, on balance, it is a good engine. Moves my 37s well at decent fuel economy, and trouble free. Can't ask for much more. Well, we can, better start up sound. That is where remote start and/or good music come in.
I love the engine so far! It’s uniquely unique! Especially in a Jeep!

Odyssey USA

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara

I tend to agree here. I had an 18 Giulia with a 2.0 (different, multiair, cyl head) with the same block etc. It IS louder in the Wrangler, for sure. The Wrangler exhaust doesn’t sound good like the Alfa either.

The high pressure direct injectors account for some of the noise.Aside from the less than 1 second cold start up noise, I actually like the tractor/antique small engine sound of the Wrangler 2.0. It also reminds me of the WW2 and early CJ 4 cylinders.

Sponsored

JL MADDOG

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 2.0L Turbo
Occupation
Jeepin'
My 2.0T makes a rattle sound during the first few minutes of cold start. After that it quiets down with only a bit of turbo whine heard while driving. I do have a Borla exhaust on it which makes for a bit louder tone.

cbmjeep

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' JLUR Mojito and 03' Rubicon
Personally, I don't feel the 2.0T is noisy at all. In fact, I find it so quiet that I forget to turn the engine off before exiting the vehicle on occasion. I think when it revs up, it sounds a bit like a lawn mower, but what else can you really expect from a turbo i4?

My experience may be a bit different, though, in that I rarely start driving my Jeep until the oil has warmed up to operating temp. I figure it's one easy thing I can do to help prolong its life, as I definitely don't baby the throttle.
I forgot one day and went into a restaurant. My friends go there about 30 minutes later and told me my Jeep lights were on. I wen tout and it was running!

Philly_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

I forgot one day and went into a restaurant. My friends go there about 30 minutes later and told me my Jeep lights were on. I wen tout and it was running!
We are not alone! My coworker with the 2.0T left his Jeep running from lunch until he left at the end of the day once!

Hennessey17

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sport
My 2021 Wrangler has thinner carpeting than my 1998 Accord... and no sound deadener.

It totally sounds like a tractor at start up... but once I'm on the road, the only sounds I hear are the frequent "woosh" sounds from the turbo when I hit the gas.

My 2013 VW Tiguan with the 2.0 TSI direct injection, turbo 4 also had a similar tractor sound, but not as loud... I assume the noise is due to the type of engine it is, and the fact that Wranglers are relatively simple machines in context to other modern vehicles and lacks sound deadening as well.

OP
OP
Mikester86

Mikester86

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR
My 2021 Wrangler has thinner carpeting than my 1998 Accord... and no sound deadener.

It totally sounds like a tractor at start up... but once I'm on the road, the only sounds I hear are the frequent "woosh" sounds from the turbo when I hit the gas.

My 2013 VW Tiguan with the 2.0 TSI direct injection, turbo 4 also had a similar tractor sound, but not as loud... I assume the noise is due to the type of engine it is, and the fact that Wranglers are relatively simple machines in context to other modern vehicles and lacks sound deadening as well.
I love the turbo “woosh” sound!
Sponsored