Sponsored

Why is picking a Trim so difficult? Help Please

jsavvy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chrysler
I’ve been looking over the forum and through the order sheets and can’t seem to settle on which trim of JLU to order. This is due in part to not fully understanding what suspension comes with each trim level.

This will be a daily driver. I don’t plan to do any rock crawling, but our family wouldn’t mind doing some easy to moderate trails (my wife and 3 young kids).

My must haves are:
  • 3.6 with the 8spd auto
  • 3 piece hard top
  • Apple CarPlay (which is standard on all trims now?)
  • Anti-Spin Rear Diff
Like to have
  • Cold weather group ( I’m thinking we will want this to extend the time with the top and doors off)
Not Sure
  • Trailer tow package (Is this easy enough to add later?)
Which trim do you think would be best suited for my needs and why? Can anyone help with the difference in suspensions between the trim levels?
Thanks
Sponsored

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
I’ve been looking over the forum and through the order sheets and can’t seem to settle on which trim of JLU to order. This is due in part to not fully understanding what suspension comes with each trim level.

This will be a daily driver. I don’t plan to do any rock crawling, but our family wouldn’t mind doing some easy to moderate trails (my wife and 3 young kids).

My must haves are:
  • 3.6 with the 8spd auto
  • 3 piece hard top
  • Anti-Spin Rear Diff
Like to have
  • Cold weather group ( I’m thinking we will want this to extend the time with the top and doors off)
Not Sure
Which trim do you think would be best suited for my needs and why? Can anyone help with the difference in suspensions between the trim levels?
Thanks
The suspensions are very similar. With Rubicon and Willys having the best off road suspensions. It sounds to me like the willys will fit your needs, and it comes standard with the limited slip differential.

Do order the trailer package. It is a pita to install later ( i did it). You also get a bigger alternator with the tow package. It is worth the money.

The base wrangler. Willys sport and base sport dont have apple carplay.

You want a sport S with rear LSD or a Willys. I suggest Willys. Willys also has bigger brakes.

Rubicon shocks (red shocks) have the most travel and best articulation when the sway bar is disconnected. Willys and Rubicon have these shocks.

If you end up getting a sport S, getting these shocks installed is a piece of cake. You can buy 4 for about $100 from a user here.

I wouldnt worry too much about suspension.

A stock willys will take you anywhere you want to go offroad. It also comes with bigger tires than sport, better for offroad, and rock sliders.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Sport S or Willys. Check the rear diff option on the Sport, Willys already has it. The MT tires on the Willys may seem loud to most people. If power windows and locks aren't important, then Sport or Willys Sport which are the basic versions.

Stand by to be told that you must have a Rubicon.

STLCardFan

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Willys
Vehicle Showcase
I am extremely happy with the Willys package. One thing I really am glad we got was the dual top group, soft and hard top. I love being able to swap these out in Winter and summer. This was not cheap but I wanted the mopar tops.
The thing I wish I would have got was the tow package. I don't plan to tow, but it comes with the aux switches and the bigger alternator.
The nice to have that I wish I would have got was the 8 inch radio but that is an expensive upgrade. I got the 7 inch screen (which was an upgrade) and I like it, but it is a little wimpy when driving with the top and doors off.

Sponsored

wolf

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On my third Rubicon(2dr's 2020, 2015 jetta diesel/2013 mb
Occupation
retired
I am extremely happy with the Willys package. One thing I really am glad we got was the dual top group, soft and hard top. I love being able to swap these out in Winter and summer. This was not cheap but I wanted the mopar tops.
The thing I wish I would have got was the tow package. I don't plan to tow, but it comes with the aux switches and the bigger alternator.
The nice to have that I wish I would have got was the 8 inch radio but that is an expensive upgrade. I got the 7 inch screen (which was an upgrade) and I like it, but it is a little wimpy when driving with the top and doors off.

My must haves are:
  • 3.6 with the 8spd auto
  • 3 piece hard top
  • Anti-Spin Rear Diff
Like to have
Not Sure
Thanks
You definitely don’t need a Rubicon. From what you said. You would be paying for something you don’t need or will use. Agree with the tow option, hard top. To bad you can’t delete the radio and go aftermarket. Uconnect is a pos. Steel bumper group is great. Try not to get any of the nanny stuff unless you need a nanny. Your engine choice and transmission is the way to go pretty much a proven combo. I’ve had the 3.6/auto set up on three of my Jeeps. I’ve had great luck, yes luck it all depends on who put it together

Jeepeto

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sparky
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

The suspensions are very similar. With Rubicon and Willys having the best off road suspensions. It sounds to me like the willys will fit your needs, and it comes standard with the limited slip differential.

Do order the trailer package. It is a pita to install later ( i did it). You also get a bigger alternator with the tow package. It is worth the money.

The base wrangler. Willys sport and base sport dont have apple carplay.

You want a sport S with rear LSD or a Willys. I suggest Willys. Willys also has bigger brakes.

Rubicon shocks (red shocks) have the most travel and best articulation when the sway bar is disconnected. Willys and Rubicon have these shocks.

If you end up getting a sport S, getting these shocks installed is a piece of cake. You can buy 4 for about $100 from a user here.

I wouldnt worry too much about suspension.

A stock willys will take you anywhere you want to go offroad. It also comes with bigger tires than sport, better for offroad, and rock sliders.
Well said! This is a great response

I’ll add that the cold weather group goes the furthest toward making the Jeep feel “nice”. Even in the summer just being able to remote start and get the AC going is great. In the winter, hopping into a warm vehicle with a heated seat and steering wheel make it down right cozy.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology

My must haves are:
  • 3.6 with the 8spd auto
  • 3 piece hard top
  • Anti-Spin Rear Diff
Like to have
Not Sure
Thanks
This is easy...

1) Get the latest 4WD magazine
2) Remove pants
3) Find your penis.
--> If you can not find it buy a Sahara
4) Look at 4WD magazine
--> If penis twitches then buy a Rubicon
--> If penis gets erect then buy a Rubicon XR
--> If you climax then buy 392 Rubicon XR
--> If no response go look at Hondas.

Jeepeto

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sparky
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

This is easy...

1) Get the latest 4WD magazine
2) Remove pants
3) Find your penis.
--> If you can not find it buy a Sahara
4) Look at 4WD magazine
--> If penis twitches then buy a Rubicon
--> If penis gets erect then buy a Rubicon XR
--> If you climax then buy 392 Rubicon XR
--> If no response go look at Hondas.
Instructions unclear; scrotum caught in zipper

Sponsored

KAB96F

First Name
Kerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon XR
Occupation
Structural Engineer
Well said everyone! A Willys looks like a solid choice here, and that's coming from someone who has only had a Rubicon (and ordered a 2022 JLUR-XR on 10/8).

I just wanted to thank everyone in JL Forum as this is a solid group that provides solid advice 99% of the time. Cheers 🍻

Steve JLUR

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GC Summit

My must haves are:
  • 3.6 with the 8spd auto
  • 3 piece hard top
  • Anti-Spin Rear Diff
Like to have
Not Sure
Thanks
You should get a Rubicon…

because it would help me validate my reasons for getting a Rubicon.
all you’ll need is a lift kit, new tires, all new steering, and new gears, several different programmers to tell your Rubicon it has bigger tires, and some other outrageously priced doodads you’ll need because the inadequately engineered and poorly produced components will fail under normal operating conditions…
but don’t get the 392 or XR, because that would make me feel inadequate.
and don’t get the V6, because everyone here knows that the 2.0l is the bestest engine ever in the Wrangler.

welcome to the Wrangler forum, your severe neurosis will start now

(forgot to add /s), because I’m sure none of you knew

Last edited:

jmarrr

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
n/a
Nobody has mentioned 4xe (the electric / plug-in hybrid). I was in a similar boat to you, and I settled on 4xe sahara. With the tax credit, a 4xe sahara costs about the same as the non-4xe. You'll get 30ish miles on the battery, which is plenty for me to get around town with.

I'm also surprised by the lack of people recommending the sahara; maybe I'm the dummy, but my understanding is that the sahara is explicitly for people like OP (who want a daily driver)

Trainman

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Willys 2dr
I assume you are talking about options and not interior trims. Living in Texas as for as some of your wants, the Tow Package is too much money when you can but a 2" receiver and wiring harness for $150, Anti-Spin rear axle is probably something you will never use $595, Cold Weather group is not needed for a Wrangler, the heater works very well, Apple-Carplay is not standard in all model, not available in the Willys Sport and the base Wrangler model 5" radio. Remember on Wranglers you pay a lot for options most will never use and Wranglers are very capable in just there stock model. Personally the Willys model is the best bang for the buck all the way around.
Sponsored