First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Billet JLUR, ā€˜20 Mustang GT/Prem/6MT/PP1
Occupation
Retired/Leisure
Moving forward, OP . . . May you enjoy many years ahead with your new incoming JLUR.
Sponsored

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
What was the breakdown?

I'm laughing. This needs to go down as a man/women communication limit IMHO; it's the stuff jokes are made of. Life is imitating art here.

I may be wrong Joe, but I think the breakdown the OP describes was best handled with tissues, not a mechanic!

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
I sold my 2007 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited today....two days after posting it for sale. Didnā€™t expect to have a breakdown but it happened, that Jeep represents a lot of memories and I didnā€™t realize just how attached I was. It was my first brand new vehicle and a present to myself when I graduated from nursing school. For 11 years it never failed me. I have a 2019 JLUR on order....I just hate that Iā€™m Jeepless until it arrives. I didnā€™t expect to feel this sad lol...surely Iā€™m not the only one, right?
upload_2018-10-11_23-58-47.jpeg
As mentioned, it's absolutely normal to assign human like qualities to inanimate objects, particularly when you've owned those things during particular times of your life that you vividly recall.

So common, there's, as you may know, a name for it: to anthropomorphize.

But at the end of the day it is pretty much an assortment of metal and plastic that even if totaled in an accident, which yours wasn't, only leaves the owner in grief over its loss by proximate cause of the amazingly good fortune of having surviving the crash.

And yet more, big ticket transactions are stressful and tears often calm us down. So your response was normal, shared by many, and yet illogical all at the same time! Welcome to the condition known as being human!

Last night, given the rain and wind I had as remnants of Hurricane Michael passed my way, a dead tree limb fell on and broke the rear most bow of my soft top. Big deal. It will get fixed, or replaced, and nobody died. https://weather.com/storms/hurrican...ricane-michael-impacts-southeast-mid-atlantic

Context helps us put things into perspective and yet despite knowing all this, I keep throwing money at my old Honda Pilot for similar reasons, like a child approving "Hail Mary" medicine on old parent that instead needs to expire peacefully.

I'm human, just like all of us.

Last edited:

TA1ton

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
@Greeneyedgirl; my JLU is my first Jeep, but trading in my old truck was hard. I owned it since I was a senior in high school. A lot of memories went with that truck...the dent from when I punched the tailgate after I found out a gf cheated, the first time I let my wife drive it, all the fishing trips with my friends, that time I broke the axle and nearly rolled it...it was there through everything...it was a faithful truck that I drove hard for 10 years (and letā€™s be honest...no vehicle deserves to be driven the way a teenage/college aged boy drives one). It moved all my stuff to 5 different homes. It drove me and my wife home after our wedding and took us on many vacations. It really was like a friend...it did everything I asked it to and never complained. I never thought that trading it in would be hard. But in the excitement of getting the keys to my new Jeep, I handed them the keys to my truck...it wasnā€™t until I got home and parked my Jeep in the driveway that it hit really hit me...a companion of 10 years would no longer be there in the driveway. I wouldā€™ve loved to keep her, but I donā€™t know what I wouldā€™ve done with an extra truck. I know I wouldnā€™t have driven it enough to keep it from rotting away. So now I have my Jeep...my first Jeep...and itā€™s the best/most fun vehicle Iā€™ve ever owned. And yeah...I still miss my old truck from time to time, but it doesnā€™t hurt anymore. But I can already tell that this Jeep is going to be harder to get rid of.

The day I got my Jeep home
2D9D3DFF-7A66-487B-B4EE-AA5DFFA15524.jpeg

Other pics with/in my Jeep
86441C7D-8683-4A36-987C-4E22FD2606F2.jpeg

90BEF8BB-23FC-4AF1-94B4-B6B9B0EA1660.jpeg

Snowjeep

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Honda Ridgeline
I cried a river when I sold my TJ...
My wife was pregnant of twins, so hence why I had to do part with it. Not a bad trade at all right?
Had much better ā€œcars/suvā€ since, but never had the same feeling.
Your picture is exactly what my last wrangler looked like (1998), wheels and color. I loved that damn thing. Soon after our first child I realized that it wasn't the safest vehicle to haul my little girl in so I traded it in for very safe sedan. Both kids are grown up now so I'm looking forward to buying a JL for me again. I can't wait.

Sponsored

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
BFF5889C-D369-488E-9C01-8365B2F0F54E.jpeg
I feel your pain! Our TJ was totaled recently and itā€™s like losing a family member. The wait for our new JLR has also been excruciating. Hang in there, it will be like getting a new puppy when your new one arrives.
I admit to 1 picture not providing me with true assessment of the damage. Still more I suspect its book value is next to nothing given its age--that is even if you still maintained collision insurance on the rig--which statistically is not the right play.

But I can't help but think that it doesn't look like that much damage.....chop off driver's side of bumper, rear driver's quarter panel, color match paint it, new license plate bracket, new fender....

maybe the gas pipe's compromised, or the rig's structural integrity, or maybe it's just not worth fixing for only the next thing to break on it given its age...

Just remove the reflective vest and she'll be fine. I kid!!;) Your wife's as pretty as I'm sure the JL will be!!!

(P.C. Afternote. In no way do I wish to compare women to car parts. My remarks were meant as a cutesy double entendre to how we sometimes describe sections of anatomy with vehicle parts: a man or woman's rear end as a caboose or bumper. I'm a feminist, the definition of which is someone who believes in the equality of both genders, and if a man were in the picture and someone (man or woman) remarked, "just shave his mustache and he'll be fine," I would have laughed.)

Last edited:

S2k Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AP1 S2000, Rubicon 4xe
Occupation
Finance
I've been lucky, I've always been so excited for the new car that I've never given the old one much thought. If I ever have to sell my S2000, THAT would be reason to be upset for me, but other than that, I'm always more excited for new than upset about old.

But I'm not a sentimental guy, just ask my wife. She'll say something like "insensitive" lol.

sobeit69

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JK Freedom Ed. 2005 Hummer H2 SUT
both the wife and I feel emotional towards are 2013, and its siting in our garage. Hahaha ..And we were simply shopping at that point to for a deal... i cant imagine the day when our order comes in.

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
I sold my 2007 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited today....two days after posting it for sale. Didnā€™t expect to have a breakdown but it happened, that Jeep represents a lot of memories and I didnā€™t realize just how attached I was. It was my first brand new vehicle and a present to myself when I graduated from nursing school. For 11 years it never failed me. I have a 2019 JLUR on order....I just hate that Iā€™m Jeepless until it arrives. I didnā€™t expect to feel this sad lol...surely Iā€™m not the only one, right?
So , why didn't you keep it ?

Sponsored

Sorbs

First Name
Brian & Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' Ram TRX, 20' Gladiator LE
3493E225-D2AF-4E55-8727-1C7CFA8C4453.jpeg
"RussJeep1, post: 408104, member: 9214"]I admit to 1 picture not providing me with true assessment of the damage. Still more I suspect its book value is next to nothing given its age--that is even if you still maintained collision insurance on the rig--which statistically is not the right play.

Got $15k for the total. TJā€™s hold their value!

But I can't help but think that it doesn't look like that much damage.....chop off driver's side of bumper, rear driver's quarter panel, color match paint it, new license plate bracket, new fender....

Frame totaled...look for the ripple under the driverā€™s door. The rear end is not connected on the left side either.

maybe the gas pipe's compromised, or the rig's structural integrity, or maybe it's just not worth fixing for only the next thing to break on it given its age...

I wouldnā€™t fix it but it did have a new Rubicon Express lift and the front bumper and winch were brand new...

Just remove the reflective vest and she'll be fine. I kid!!;) Your wife's as pretty as I'm sure the JL will be!!!

Thank you and she appreciates your compliment!

snide

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Grand Cherokee
Sold my '13 JKU a couple of years ago, now I want another Wrangler. My Grand Cherokee is great, but, it's not a Wrangler.

OP
OP
Greeneyedgirl

Greeneyedgirl

First Name
Trista
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Rescue Green Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
RN
So , why didn't you keep it ?
As much as I would have liked to keep it, I just couldn't justify spending 60 grand on a new truck without selling the old one. I'm hoping to only finance about 30 grand to keep the payments from being obscene lol.

Covet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR, 22 392, 22 4xe JLUR sold x3, 24 392
Rescue Green right?! Very cool color, one of my all time favorites. I havenā€™t ever felt an attachment to a vehicle, so I cannot provide much help on this one. My car/truck tendencies have historically been much more whore-ish, I prefer the variety. BUT! After having test driven multiple, multiple JKs then landing in a JL I think you will be much happier in your new Wrangler! New memories will come, to include the memory of how much more refined, fun to drive, etc. your new Jeep will be. BTW, as you had a really cool color before, what color JL did you order?!?!?!
Sponsored